Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What is it for ?

In my 2003, 38g, Adventurer there is a white grill approx. 10" x 14" at floor level below the Energy Management Panel in the "hallway" between the L/R and B/R. Removed it to do some floor work in that area and noticed that the space behind it is open to the outside air. Like to park in "cool" areas and was wondering if this could be insulated or blocked off when the temps start dropping.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I believe this grill provides warm air to your water tank. You do not want to block it off - especially when it is cold.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I just picked up a 2003 38g yesterday and was wondering the same thing. I can't find a way to turn off the "Coach Heater" that is powered by engine hot water. The dash switch is in the center off position, but hot air comes out of the floor register behind the dog house.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I agree with Doug Sage the grill allows warm air to enter the storage compartments. I'll bet that the storage compartment door was open when you looked through the grill.
As for the "coach heater" it's part of the Motoraid system that keeps the water in the water heater hot when the engine is running. As a bonus heat is allowed to warm the coach through the register behind the dog house. There is always water flowing through the heating coil (it's hooked into the engine cooling system). The switch on the dash turns the fan in the motoraid system on to force the air through the register. To keep the heat to a minimum when it's not needed we relaced the original register with one from Home Depot that can be opened and closed. I can't remember the exact size but it's a standard size used in most homes.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the same item in the 04 Adventurer 37b. I didn't like it being so "open" and was concerned about bugs, etc. My solution was to get a sheet of plastic air filter material and fit that behind the register. That effectively allows the air movemnt, but makes it very difficult for anything to crawl through.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

On mine warm air goes into the tank compartment through holes in the furnace duct. The grill you mention is to return the air back to the coach.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I thought I was really on to something when I discovered the same thing on my coach. I could clearly see daylight through the removed vent and figured it would be a great opportunity to seal a leak.

Before doing anything I posted the same question you did and learned the same thing you're learning. It's to allow warm air to warm the tanks and selected storage bays. I could see daylight because the slides were extended and the plumbing bay door was open.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the feedback ! My power bay was open so I'll close it tomorrow and recheck. Sounds like a filter cut to fit might be a good addition.