Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobder41 View Post
The same with mine. 1 Winnebago + Camping world + 1 Itasca dealer within 10 miles.

They were told about their termination, than had a parts audit and Winn shipped al of the parts back to the factory.

Dealer still has 8 units on the lot.
We will never know the details of what caused the Itasca dealers to loose their dealer status with WBGO Ind, but I noticed both you and AFCHAP said there was a CW location nearby. Call me paranoid if you wish, but IMO, it is scary how much influence this one company has at WBGO. Wal-Mart isn't the only big retailer to eliminate smaller local competition almost at will.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

This is scary. The Itasca dealer in Raleigh is Camping World. The Winnebago dealer is Bill Plemmons. I wonder which one will get the axe. For service, Plemmons is best. For camping supplies Camping World is best.
The funny thing is that neither one gives **** about Winnebago/Itasca motorhomes. They're more interested in selling towables. Their lots each have a couple of W/I motorhomes and dozens of towables of many brands.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
This is scary. The Itasca dealer in Raleigh is Camping World. The Winnebago dealer is Bill Plemmons. I wonder which one will get the axe. For service, Plemmons is best. For camping supplies Camping World is best.
The funny thing is that neither one gives **** about Winnebago/Itasca motorhomes. They're more interested in selling towables. Their lots each have a couple of W/I motorhomes and dozens of towables of many brands.
I would not be too surprised to see CW buying Plemmons in the near future. As for their inventories, I think you will agree they stock what sells in their market area. Overall industry stats indicate towables outsell motorized by a wide margin.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulandvicki View Post
Everyone has an opinion and I respect yours. I totally agree that no company is what it was ten years ago. ( I too am falling apart.) But in my case I had a Tiffin and was ready to trade to a larger motorhome. Took it to Red Bay for service and after talking to other owners and the people at the factory I took Tiffin off my list and went to Winnebago. IMHO my Winnebago runs circles around my old Tiffin as far as build quality.
+1 another former Tiffin owner
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
We will never know the details of what caused the Itasca dealers to loose their dealer status with WBGO Ind, but I noticed both you and AFCHAP said there was a CW location nearby. Call me paranoid if you wish, but IMO, it is scary how much influence this one company has at WBGO. Wal-Mart isn't the only big retailer to eliminate smaller local competition almost at will.
I was told by a Winnebago customer service representative that Camping World represents about 30% of Winnebago's total sales.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:09 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

In the Atlanta market CW bought out 2 dealerships and I was told they are working on the third that I have dealt with for years. All 3 are within a thirty minute drive of each other.
When I went to them for warranty work I was told that it would take them 4 weeks before they could get to it. Basically I was told that the customers that bought from them will get repaired before they can get to mine.
My dealer told me that it will take a year before the dust settles on who will survive.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobder41 View Post
In the Atlanta market CW bought out 2 dealerships and I was told they are working on the third that I have dealt with for years. All 3 are within a thirty minute drive of each other.
When I went to them for warranty work I was told that it would take them 4 weeks before they could get to it. Basically I was told that the customers that bought from them will get repaired before they can get to mine.
My dealer told me that it will take a year before the dust settles on who will survive.
Wow, this sounds like some very big changes in how Winnebago dealerships are structured and how Winnebago's are marketed, sold and serviced. Reminds me of the changes that GM went through when they restructured.

I had no idea that this was going on until you brought it up specifically.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
I was told by a Winnebago customer service representative that Camping World represents about 30% of Winnebago's total sales.
I doubt we will learn what % of total sales is from other big retailers like Lazy Days, La Mesa, and Litchsinn, etc. but IMO having almost 1/3 of sales going to one "customer" should be a concern for WBGO. Instead, it appears they are making changes that will make them even more dependent on CW to drive volume.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I doubt we will learn what % of total sales is from other big retailers like Lazy Days, La Mesa, and Litchsinn, etc. but IMO having almost 1/3 of sales going to one "customer" should be a concern for WBGO. Instead, it appears they are making changes that will make them even more dependent on CW to drive volume.
Probably what it would take is knowing someone on the "inside" to furnish the sales data.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:51 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

What is going to happen to Itasca Dealers

All the CC acquisition sounds like is it's Winnebagos answer to Fleetwood's American Eagle, etc. line. Personally I don't care either way, it's a Journey by any other name.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Because of the way that Winnebago has be "squeezing" their dealers in recent years, there are many major markets that no longer have dealers for either brand.

Winnebago is no longer the company that it was say 10 years ago. IMHO, that applies to the quality of the product as well as the company itself. I have proudly owned their products in the past but wouldn't buy one today.
I don't know about the "squeezing" part, but I do agree with you about quality. We owned a new 2007 Itasca Cambria (Class-C) prior to purchasing our new 2013 Itasca Sunstar (Class-A). The only reason we bought the new motorhome was because we wanted the Class-A design. There was nothing wrong with our Class-C and we had very good luck with it. Our Class-A just does not seem to be built as well. Although our problems have been minor, it's stuff that should have been caught by the factory. I blame poor quality control issues. Add the issue of poor Lippert products (IMHO) and this just compounds the problem.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

In my personal experience the Camping World where I purchased a Suncruiser 38Q only sold Itasca so that is what I bought. When it arrived three months later it says Winnebago Suncruiser and now this dealer is selling Winnebago. So in this case it was a seamless switch but there was not a dealer within 65 miles either.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I spoke with the lead salesperson at a major RV dealer here in Oregon where I purchased my 2016 Itasca Navion this past summer. This salesperson does all the ordering for the Itasca line of motorhomes they sell so he has the inside scoop on things. He says they will become a Winnebago dealer selling the same models that were previously branded "Itasca". In the case of my motorhome they will continue to sell the Winnebago Navion, and the dealer across town will continue to sell the Winnebago View.

All the models previously branded as Itasca will continue but with the Winnebago name. W'bago made this change to take advantage of the familiarity of the Winnebago brand.

Tags
dealer, itasca