Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question What-for Antenna Red Light?

This is another parasitic power user when everything in the coach is off.

Why? What's its function?

Noticed it the other night, there's a tiny red (I assume LED) light on the TV antenna. What for? The power boost switch is off and I see no reason to have an idiot light telling me it's working that would be on the exterior.

?
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
that is the antenna power amp. you need that ON when viewing TV with the antenna and OFF if you're hooked up to cable TV.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMac View Post

Noticed it the other night, there's a tiny red (I assume LED) light on the TV antenna. What for? The power boost switch is off and I see no reason to have an idiot light telling me it's working that would be on the exterior.

?
I've wondered about that little red night light on the antenna. Noticed it not long after we got our Navion, which is visible from the kitchen window. At first, I thought it was a reflection from the neighbor's auto-on floodlights, but it's a standalone red light puzzle. Next time I'm on the roof, I'll have closer look. Maybe it's a targeting dot for "smart munitions" dropped from the air?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Red is a puzzle it's Blue on my RV. But there are two switches. One is on the side of the box that rotates the King Black Jack antenna and the other is beside a tiny little button the size of a small pea on the main Cable/Antenna plate.

On my RV when the tiny button is pushed the Blue light is on on the King Jack sensitivity signal meter (a row of blue LEDs). When the Cable/Ant button is not depressed the King Jack LEDs go out.

The image below is the tiny Cable/Antenna button I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 6.12.21 PM.png
Views:	166
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	178277  
Old 04-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Red is a puzzle it's Blue on my RV. But there are two switches. One is on the side of the box that rotates the King Black Jack antenna and the other is beside a tiny little button the size of a small pea on the main Cable/Antenna plate.

On my RV when the tiny button is pushed the Blue light is on on the King Jack sensitivity signal meter (a row of blue LEDs). When the Cable/Ant button is not depressed the King Jack LEDs go out.

The image below is the tiny Cable/Antenna button I'm talking about.
I have the interior roof mounted signal amplifier with the blue leds for tuning the OTA signal, but my directional aiming system is a manual dial located on the same unit.
The little red light (I think) we're talking about is actually on the (underside?) of the physical antenna on the exterior roof of the RV. However, your cable/antenna plate pic gives me an idea that maybe it goes out when the little black pushbutton is set to "cable". My cable/antenna selection switch plate is behind the living room TV. I'll test that theory later after dark. I can't see the mystery red light very well during daylight hours.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I have the interior roof mounted signal amplifier with the blue leds for tuning the OTA signal, but my directional aiming system is a manual dial located on the same unit.
The little red light (I think) we're talking about is actually on the (underside?) of the physical antenna on the exterior roof of the RV. However, your cable/antenna plate pic gives me an idea that maybe it goes out when the little black pushbutton is set to "cable". My cable/antenna selection switch plate is behind the living room TV. I'll test that theory later after dark. I can't see the mystery red light very well during daylight hours.
And the winner is.....
The little red light on the antenna goes out when the "Cable/Antenna" black push button is set to "Cable".
Why they would put a red light on an antenna, that can only be seen at night, to tell you that your TVs are on OTA, is beyond me.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
And the winner is.....
The little red light on the antenna goes out when the "Cable/Antenna" black push button is set to "Cable".
Why they would put a red light on an antenna, that can only be seen at night, to tell you that your TVs are on OTA, is beyond me.
WHY the little red light, on the antenna? As has been stated, it's PROOF that your antenna is receiving power to the booster that is IN the antenna. It's a tiny LED. You're over worrying about it. That little LED could be on for a year before it would affect any house battery status. And, of course depending on outside visual conditions, I could see mine in the daylight, as well as at night.

The antenna needs to have a booster to boost the signals it's receiving. The booster NEEDS POWER to operate. The LED is there to tell you it's powered up.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMac View Post

?

It's almost certainly a signal booster/amplifier. Once the signal comes in through the antenna, this dingus boosts the power, making it come in clearer on the TV. A single LED like that takes very little power to keep lit.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Antenna power

I lost the King Jack antenna in a Wyoming wind storm Replaced with new but cannot get power to now. Is there a way to track power source?
Thanks.

2015 Winnebago Retro Brave
Denny49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny49 View Post
I lost the King Jack antenna in a Wyoming wind storm Replaced with new but cannot get power to now. Is there a way to track power source?
Thanks.

2015 Winnebago Retro Brave
I assume you know it only has power when both the Ant/Cable Booster switch is on and the sliding power switch on the side of the panel with the signal meter lights and turning knob is in the on position.

Do you have power at the Ant/Cable Booster switch?
Old 04-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

A novice here. Used to small class c's without bells and whistles. Will check that out next time in the coach/ Thanks.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

No power, no lights on at switch. Power comes in through the coax cable, correct?
Old 04-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny49 View Post
No power, no lights on at switch. Power comes in through the coax cable, correct?
Which switch are you speaking about... the Ant/Cable Booster switch or the Jack Ant switch or both?
Old 04-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Retro antenna

I have one switch on the side of the light module-nothing else.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:14 PM   #15
Site Team

In another location in your RV you have a Plate with one or two Coax cable inputs. On that plate is a tiny button and light. You can see it above in Post #4.

That button has to be ON, pushed in, for you to have power to your Jack Antenna. It is your Ant/Cable switch.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Found the additional switch. Feel real stupid. It was behind the DVD player in the bedroom. All works well. Thanks. I have a 2015 Brave Retro and the faux leather is falling apart. Have you heard or seen anyone reupholstering existing or better yet looking for Flex Steel. Had them in an older Fleetwood and they were great. Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #17
Site Team

Common "ultra-leather" issue for many manufacturers. Flex Steel actually got out of making RV furniture due to this.

They had a replacement policy to supply a roll of the fabric but I think that's stopped now too. They never covered the upholstery part, just supplied a bolt of materials.

Any upholstery shop can replace the material, you'll be surprised at the the high cost.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/ultr...ir-485744.html

https://rvnstyle.com/why-is-your-rv-...o-do-about-it/
Old 04-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
And the winner is.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
WHY the little red light, on the antenna? As has been stated, it's PROOF that your antenna is receiving power to the booster that is IN the antenna. It's a tiny LED. You're over worrying about it. That little LED could be on for a year before it would affect any house battery status. And, of course depending on outside visual conditions, I could see mine in the daylight, as well as at night.

The antenna needs to have a booster to boost the signals it's receiving. The booster NEEDS POWER to operate. The LED is there to tell you it's powered up.
Scott
If the coach is in Store mode, why would the Cable/Antenna switch even have power let alone allowing a power draw from the physical roof antenna?

Maybe I missed something? My little light is green when booster is on, but if I turn the Use/Store switch to Store, I expected that the power would be cutoff so no parasitic drain possible as OP DC Mac was asking?

I know that booster switch is not hardwired to either battery so how is it possible? I am guessing it must be connected to a 12v line connected to the chassis battery? I may have to check?

Update: and this is weird. The Boost Switch is set to ON for all of the below scenarios.

Use/Store Switch on USE / Chassis Disconnect on ON = Boost Light Green
Use/Store Switch on USE / Chassis Disconnect on OFF = Boost Light Green
Use/Store Switch on STORE / Chassis Disconnect on ON = Boost Light Green
Use/Store Switch on STORE / Chassis Disconnect on OFF = Boost Light OFF Why?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:18 AM   #19
Site Team

I don’t understand the puzzlement. Power on, light on, power off, light off. When you store your RV you turn off both battery disconnects and all power is off. So the TV Ant/cable light can’t be on.

And also it’s a power switch so just power it off when not camping and not using the TV.

I guess you are saying the TV antenna booster is powered by the chassis battery and that’s what is confusing or surprising to you. Correct?

So where are you confused on how to operate the TV antenna booster?
Old 04-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I don’t understand the puzzlement. Power on, light on, power off, light off. When you store your RV you turn off both battery disconnects and all power is off. So the TV Ant/cable light can’t be on.

And also it’s a power switch so just power it off when not camping and not using the TV.

I guess you are saying the TV antenna booster is powered by the chassis battery and that’s what is confusing or surprising to you. Correct?

So where are you confused on how to operate the TV antenna booster?
No, everything works fine; no issues with antenna.

My puzzlement comes from reading this thread?

For OP and for myself... Here is the question
When you put RV in STORE mode; why is power still applied to this switch?

I don't see it as a load that would have adverse impact on battery, but shouldn't it be OFF too?

Based on the above I did some testing last night. I noticed the ONLY way to make that light go OFF is to...

#1 Ensure no Shorepower and
#2 Put in STORE mode and
#3 Disconnect Chassis battery

I don't understand why? I may have to figure out how to get and read my Winnebago electrical diagram because from a layman perspective.... it is as if that cable / antenna switch is wired to get power from both the House and/or the Chassis batteries?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, light