Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy What do I do now?

Need some advise....bought 2009 Winnebago View 24A in March, two months ago.
My 50 year old son who had been living with me for the past 6 years and I had been planning to do this together for years.
Son unexpectedly died recently and I cannot see myself traveling alone without his help.
Cannot afford to keep RV, dealer would buy it back for $20,000.00 less than I paid for it 2 months ago. It is in the same condition that I bought it, in fact better as I had to replace the chassis battery 2 weeks ago. Only have driven it less that 100 miles since I bought it.
What do I do now? Call the bank? Try to sell it myself? List it on this website and in the newspaper, all the above?
If I can't afford the payments does the bank take it back and if they do, what happens.
Sorry, did not have anyone else to discuss this with and since you are all familiar with RV's and may have experienced something like this, you could give me some insight.
I am devastated.............Patt
pattd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

First off I am sorry for your loss and I will attempt to answer your questions. Without knowing the whole finance situation I can tell you that if you cannot make the payments the finance company (bank) will repossess the motor home and that will ruin your credit rating. They may try to resell it but you would be responsible for any monies that fall short.
You can try to sell it yourself in your local newspaper or perhaps a dealer will take the unit in on consignment and hopefully they can sell it for what you owe and you pay them a small commission. You can also "google" some on line sites that will sell you MH for you in the same way I mentioned above. But be very careful with whom you do business. You may also try to look up mhsrv.com on line and find their number and contact information for help. They are in Texas and I do not know where you are located but they may be able to help.
Good Luck to you
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I am sorry to hear about your son and your RV troubles.

That dealer sounds like a crook to me. But, I guess you knew that. There are many ways to sell an RV--craqigslist--ebay--consignment-- web sites like this one. I would try as many as I was comfortable with. I would also threaten the dealer with a letter to the BBB or negative publicity. If there is a consumer's advocate on a nearby TV or radio station, contact them.

Good Sam's magazine has an area devoted to settling disputes with dealers. Whatever you do, don't just grin and bear it. Raise Cain or the dealer will just try to do the same to everyone.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My deepest sympathies to you at this difficult time of the sudden loss of your son and then the RV problems. Others I know can offer some suggestions regarding your RV.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Maybe post up where you are located and someone in our iRV2 community can help you list/sell the unit.

Sorry for your loss.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Just a word of advice: One thing when selling it, make sure the buyer pays cash or gets their own financing. Whatever you do, don't carry a loan no matter who the buyer is (family, friend or stranger). I have seen this happen and the buyer has the MH and then the buyer stops paying and you are out everything.

Try to relax and do this like eating an elephant . . . one bite at a time! You can do this. There are options. Remember Baby Steps! --Kay
Old 06-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
Just a word of advice: One thing when selling it, make sure the buyer pays cash or gets their own financing. Whatever you do, don't carry a loan no matter who the buyer is (family, friend or stranger). I have seen this happen and the buyer has the MH and then the buyer stops paying and you are out everything.

Try to relax and do this like eating an elephant . . . one bite at a time! You can do this. There are options. Remember Baby Steps! --Kay
Great suggestion and also be aware of cashier checks or postal money order checks. the bank will honor them but if they are fake or insufficient then by law you are held responsible. Cash of financing from a bank is the only way to go.
I also agree on the sorry dealership you are dealing with. I believe they should do the right thing and attempt to at least help you sell your RV. I would not expect them to take it back but I would at least expect some help under your circumstances.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My condolences for your loss.

I went back and reviewed your past posts. Based on what you've said previously, I believe you're underestimating your capabilities. I don't think you'd have any problems RVing by yourself. Don't be too quick to sell it.

The Yahoo Groups View/Navion Forum has over 7600 members. Most are owners but many are 'wanna-be owners," looking to buy. That is where I would start looking for View-specific advice and potential buyers. The site is free but requires registration and it's well run.

Now is probably a good time to sell an RV because it's the start of summer and the economy has picked up. Good luck.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:10 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Sorry for your lost. Now as far as the RV, maybe find another companion to help with payments and the 2 of you travel the USA
Old 06-03-2015, 01:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Patt so sorry for your loss, I know how devastating loss can be. Maybe you can challenge yourself to think outside your box. How do you think your son would feel if you took to the road and did all the things you both planned to do together? The traveling could be a celebration of his life and the time you had together. All things are possible, you can do this....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENECOP View Post
Patt so sorry for your loss, I know how devastating loss can be. Maybe you can challenge yourself to think outside your box. How do you think your son would feel if you took to the road and did all the things you both planned to do together? The traveling could be a celebration of his life and the time you had together. All things are possible, you can do this....
GENECOP, your reply is a model of compassion and empathy. I 2nd your sentiments and hope PATT rethinks her situation.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I'm sorry for your loss and predicament. It appears that you have no one to help you with this. Here's my opinion of what you can do. It is up to you to decide if you can do this. Option 1 is to let the bank take back the motorhome. This will ruin your credit rating and you will still be on the stick for any difference between what you owe and what they sell it for. I don't recommend this option but it is the easiest except for the repercussions.

I don't know if you are truly upside down on your loan but you need to find out. I'd go to the NADA website and determine what your RV is worth. Put in your actual mileage but don't add for any options. Remember that this will give you average retail and low retail and you are not retail so figure it will be a little less. That will give you a ballpark number for where you stand. If it is truly $20,000 then shame on your dealer and your lender for taking advantage of you but temper that with your responsibility to look out for yourself.

Another way to value your RV is to take it to a couple new and used dealers and ask them what they would give you for it. Also ask what they would consign it for and how much they would want to sell it for you on consignment. I know you said you took it to where you bought it but I'd shop elsewhere as they don't seem to be very willing to help. Getting angry with them and demanding is not the right thing to do. After this you should know if you are upside down or OK and can sell your RV and pay it off or if you need to add some cash to the deal to sell it. If you can't, then there is always option 1.

Call your bank or credit union and ask them what they would value it at. You evidently did just finance it 2 months ago and they probably valued it for more than they loaned you so I wouldn't think you could be $20K upside down so soon especially on a used model as opposed to new.

The final suggestion is to sell it yourself. Again I am assuming you have no one to help you. Be aware there are many scam artists out there just waiting to take advantage of you so you need to be careful. Anyone with a sob story, no matter how heart wrenching is probably not a real prospect. Do not take payments or trades. You can advertise for free on Craigslist and here as well. There is also the RV Trader which does charge for an ad. These avenues will bring the great unwashed to your doorstep so screen potential buyers carefully before you invite them to look at your rig. Set appointments in a public place and if you can arrange to have someone else with you do that. Do not allow anyone to drive the rig without first seeing their driver's license and never let anyone drive it without you in the RV with them. If you look on Craigslist you can get an idea of what others are asking for similar rigs in your area. Remember that these are asking prices, not selling prices so your actual selling price will likely be lower. The good news is that now is the prime time to be selling so now is when you will get the most for your rig. Make the money transfer at your bank where you have the loan and pay it off in front of the buyer. This also provides security for you and put any extra money in your account rather than walk out with a pile of bills in your wallet. I usually accompany the buyer directly to the DMV to transfer the title and registration right then.

All of the above assumes that the RV is in your name and not your deceased son's. If it is in his name, then you need to contact an estate attorney and ask their advice. Credit damage and loan payoff shortfall may not be that big of a deal if it against his estate and not you personally.

Patt I wish you the best and I hope you can turn a bad situation into a better one. I will keep you in my prayers.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My experience with consignment was awful. If you do decide to go with a consignment, ask for names of previous consignment clients and go talk to them about their experience.

I also offer my deepest sympathy for your loss.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We had a good experience selling our used class A on consignment with www.pplmotorhomes.com and I think that was because RV consignment is their specialty. PPL sells and trades hundreds of RVs for customers who come from Florida to Alaska and all states in between. Their website is a good resource for you with lots of info on "how to sell your RV" and to see used list prices.

You've got options. Just take it slow and continue to use us here at iRV2.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

What others have said above.

And don't do anything in a rush. It took my Mom years to get my Dad's stuff in order after he died. It took months just to start thinking straight. It's VERY easy to make bad decisions right now. Couple payments on the motorhome will get you a few months to figure it all out, there's no hurry.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Patt I can not help with the current situtation as it is out of my field of expertise.. Others have.

However.. Condolances on your loss.... My loss was a couple years ago but I still feel it.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I'm very sorry for your loss Patt.

I used rvtrader.com and sold my Winnebago ERA in less than 2 weeks. However, I got lots of calls from other online dealers saying they had buyers to introduce me to....if I signed up for their "service". Don't fall for it.

Once you get a buyer, work through your bank to make sure the funds are legit and in your account before you sign over the title.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
dogs162910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
What others have said above.

And don't do anything in a rush. It took my Mom years to get my Dad's stuff in order after he died. It took months just to start thinking straight. It's VERY easy to make bad decisions right now. Couple payments on the motorhome will get you a few months to figure it all out, there's no hurry.
What Tim said above is exactly right. I went through it and it took me over two months to get back to thinking somewhat normally.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
I am sorry to hear about your son and your RV troubles.

That dealer sounds like a crook to me. But, I guess you knew that. There are many ways to sell an RV--craqigslist--ebay--consignment-- web sites like this one. I would try as many as I was comfortable with. I would also threaten the dealer with a letter to the BBB or negative publicity. If there is a consumer's advocate on a nearby TV or radio station, contact them.

Good Sam's magazine has an area devoted to settling disputes with dealers. Whatever you do, don't just grin and bear it. Raise Cain or the dealer will just try to do the same to everyone.
Threaten the dealer with.........what? He has to make money to stay in business. Not his fault, OP bought a rig, now he wants/has to sell it, why should the dealer take it back for the same amount paid?

And I may be in the same boat with the Magna due to my wifes probable diagnosis.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy

I just want to take a moment to thank all of you for your kind words and advise. I have thought about just getting out there on my own but the fact of the matter is that the agreement I had with my son was that I would make the RV payments and he would pay for the campground fees and fuel because I would not be able to do both. He was in construction and intended to work along our travels. I have already been approached by a company from Nebraska, National RV, Classy.com and for $549.00 they would advertise the RV nationally, handle all paperwork and even delivery to new owner. Sounded good at first but now not to sure. When she first called she said she was with Ebay motors but when I called the number back they answered, National Vehicle Marketing so I looked it up online and they do have a website under National RV aka ClassyRV.com....sounds to good to be true so probably is. I do have a nice neighbor who would be willing to help me show it. I did look at NADA and it valued it at $65000.00 . I have cancelled the extended warranty to lower what I owe the bank so I will probably still owe $65984.00. It would be great to sell it for $65 but maybe not. I would be will to pay the difference if it were not too much. I have already made 2 payments of $521.94 and the down payment of $3500.00. I live on Social Security and a small pension and my home is underwater. I have probably given you way too much info but this group has been very understanding and has let me vent what is going on in my life and I have found it very helpful and caring. I am going to take a little more time and wait for the refund of the extended warranty to be applied to the balance I owe to the bank on the RV and then decide how to sell it. I do not want to wait too long as like was mentioned, it is a good time to sell. Thank you all again for your time and compassion. Patt
pattd2 is offline   Reply With Quote