Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The time is fast approaching and we're only a few days away from flying to pick up our new addition. Since I know everyone here has a vast amount of experience, I'm soliciting last minute advice on several issues. Given we will be at Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City, IA on Thursday, I figure now is a good time to start getting our last minute stuff prepared.

Snow Driving: Since we're driving back to the warmth of San Diego, our plan is to make a "bee-line" down HWY 35 on Saturday Morning the 25th. Don't know how far we will get, but I'd like to get about 500 miles if we can. Maybe Tulsa, OK. Just want to go south to warmer areas. Since we've never driven in snow (only have driver cars, not MH's), what should we expect? Any "Black Ice" issues with a MH? Things to watch for..

PDI: I have an extensive list that mentions pratically everything I'd like to go over. I think it is 8 pages or so. I know Winnie has done their PDI, Lichtsinn has done his (and says his is similar to my list), but just looking for some experienced people that have been through the process that can offer advice on what to look for that I may have missed. The coach should be winterized, so how do I test the water features?

Items: We packed 5 large moving boxes full of essential stuff we felt we needed for the trip home. We shipped it ahead and it already arrived safe and sound. I'm packing the electronics on the plane with me (computer, GPS, etc.). Any items you can think of we may have overlooked (for instance, our Sanity for going to iowa in the dead of winter comes to mind )

Other: We're planning to stop in Austin Texas to see my sister in law (and family) and maybe go up to Flaggstaff to see my son in college on the way home. I'm sure we'll see some of the areas we're passing through again, but are there some RV friendly places along the way? Good eats? Quick things to see? Generally, are there any other words of advice from anyone on anything we may have missed?

I look forward to your input, Thanks in Advance..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The time is fast approaching and we're only a few days away from flying to pick up our new addition. Since I know everyone here has a vast amount of experience, I'm soliciting last minute advice on several issues. Given we will be at Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City, IA on Thursday, I figure now is a good time to start getting our last minute stuff prepared.

Snow Driving: Since we're driving back to the warmth of San Diego, our plan is to make a "bee-line" down HWY 35 on Saturday Morning the 25th. Don't know how far we will get, but I'd like to get about 500 miles if we can. Maybe Tulsa, OK. Just want to go south to warmer areas. Since we've never driven in snow (only have driver cars, not MH's), what should we expect? Any "Black Ice" issues with a MH? Things to watch for..

PDI: I have an extensive list that mentions pratically everything I'd like to go over. I think it is 8 pages or so. I know Winnie has done their PDI, Lichtsinn has done his (and says his is similar to my list), but just looking for some experienced people that have been through the process that can offer advice on what to look for that I may have missed. The coach should be winterized, so how do I test the water features?

Items: We packed 5 large moving boxes full of essential stuff we felt we needed for the trip home. We shipped it ahead and it already arrived safe and sound. I'm packing the electronics on the plane with me (computer, GPS, etc.). Any items you can think of we may have overlooked (for instance, our Sanity for going to iowa in the dead of winter comes to mind )

Other: We're planning to stop in Austin Texas to see my sister in law (and family) and maybe go up to Flaggstaff to see my son in college on the way home. I'm sure we'll see some of the areas we're passing through again, but are there some RV friendly places along the way? Good eats? Quick things to see? Generally, are there any other words of advice from anyone on anything we may have missed?

I look forward to your input, Thanks in Advance..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-19-2006, 06:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Big Trace,

First, congratulations on the new MH. Hope you have many years and miles of enjoyment. I lived and worked in Oklahoma and Texas for eight years and traveled it in winter and summer. You mentioned Tulsa. At first, I thought that you might turn West there. I'd be careful of that. I have run into snow west of Albuquerque in the mountains as late as the beginning of June. My advice would be to go to Interstate 10. It heads West much further South, and you'd have less chance of snow on that route. Since you mentioned Austin, I assume that I-10 is in your plans.

You might want to have the dealer fill the water system for you and show you that it works. It doesn't take much time to empty it and blow the lines out with air. A little pink antifreeze in each of the traps will keep them from freezing until you can get far enough South. Actually, if you intend on living in the MH, you can probably run the water system. Since the coach will be heated, you probably won't have any problems. Let the dealer guide you.

Good Luck.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 02-19-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just take it slow and easy and stay at Wal-Marts so that you can buy what you forgot.
Remember, keep the front between the white lines and the back will follow, wide turns and use the convex mirrors more than the regular ones.Get Coach Net Roadside Assistance before you leave Lichstinn Motors..Good and Safe Miles and Congratulations
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W8RLM - Bob:

Since you mentioned Austin, I assume that I-10 is in your plans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was first in our plans. We are traveling with 3 others, my dad and good friends of ours. My Dad is picking up a Navion from Lichtsinn while our friends are picking up another 40FD Horizon (only in Regatta Blue instead of our "Antelope" color). We'll be caravaning so we'll be able to watch each others back. I've driven a 40 footer plenty, just never in the snow so I don't know if "Black Ice" can become a factor..

Thanks for the advice.. Keep em comin

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-19-2006, 07:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Big Trace, anytime you have wet conditions and below freezing temperatures you can get black ice. Truckers watch for mist coming off the road in cold wet conditions = no ice. No mist in wet conditions = freezing road. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hey Itchin,

When you think you may encounter this condition, what do you do? I know with a car, you pull off real slow safely. Isn't a MH heavy enough to "go through it" or should we just pull off?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You need to do the same as in a car, only slower, especially considering the weight and dollars involved.

California requires chains on anything over 6500, no exceptions. Snow tires as an alternate will not be allowed.

You might be able to get moving, stopping is the problem. Even if you are the best driver in the world, there are idiots out there that you should be more concerned about.

Be especially wary of truckers; they're on a tight schedule and generally drive too fast in the bad conditions.

BEST ADVICE: Pull off the road into a parking lot, truck stop, etc., crank up the gen, furnace, tv and relax.

DOUG

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

And don't forget to wash all that salt off the undercarriage of your coach!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If you want some decent "down home cooking" while travelling the interstate stop at Cracker Barrel. Always RV friendly and room to park. Use the Flying J's for fuel as well.

Nick
Old 02-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beabop:
And don't forget to wash all that salt off the undercarriage of your coach! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GREAT advice....mine was delivered to dealer just after Christmas,I know they washed the underside down,but I still came home and did it again...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Congrats on the new addition....Remember the reason you HAVE an RV...if the weather gets bad and ice conditions occur find a safe place to pull off (wal-mart, rest area, ect..) and enjoy the motorhome and all its wonderful amenities till it blows over. The beauty of this way of life is not having plans set in stone and to enjoy the journey. Whatever you are going to see will still be there tomorrow, make sure you are.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've driven a 40 footer plenty, just never in the snow so I don't know if "Black Ice" can become a factor.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your electronic compass/thermometer will flash <span class="ev_code_RED">ICE</span> if the temperature is such that icing can occur.

Tom
currently at Quail Roost RV CG, Crystal River, FL
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beabop:
And don't forget to wash all that salt off the undercarriage of your coach! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GREAT advice....mine was delivered to dealer just after Christmas,I know they washed the underside down,but I still came home and did it again... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sooner the better. Once you hit the warm climates the salt action can take off like a wildfire. This is really good advice.

If you stop hearing the sound of your tires your on black ice and will be in big trouble if you hit the brakes. Ease off on the throttle and slowely pull over if you can. Carry some shovels and a few buckets of sand with you to help get completely off the road and to treat the area around where you have stopped to wait it out. Hopefully you won't need it but if you do run into a situation it can help prevent the next guy from plowing into you. It has saved my neck a few times. I saw quite a bit of this driving a snow plow in Northern Massachusetts.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've driven a 40 footer plenty, just never in the snow so I don't know if "Black Ice" can become a factor.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your electronic compass/thermometer will flash <span class="ev_code_RED">ICE</span> if the temperature is such that icing can occur.

Tom
currently at Quail Roost RV CG, Crystal River, FL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Tom,

I'm curious about this. Your saying that the outside temperature guage on the dash will flash "Ice" whenever it hits below 32 degrees Farenheight? Or is there a sensor that knows if it snowed/rained and that the cold temperature CAN produce Ice?. Even here in San Diego, the morning temperature can dip below 32 sometimes, but in clear weather, Ice is not an issue. Just curious.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:

GREAT advice....mine was delivered to dealer just after Christmas,I know they washed the underside down,but I still came home and did it again... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sooner the better. Once you hit the warm climates the salt action can take off like a wildfire. This is really good advice.

If you stop hearing the sound of your tires your on black ice and will be in big trouble if you hit the brakes. Ease off on the throttle and slowely pull over if you can. Carry some shovels and a few buckets of sand with you to help get completely off the road and to treat the area around where you have stopped to wait it out. Hopefully you won't need it but if you do run into a situation it can help prevent the next guy from plowing into you. It has saved my neck a few times. I saw quite a bit of this driving a snow plow in Northern Massachusetts.

Regards,

Neil </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's really good advice and I will take it to heart. I really didn't think of that too much, but I see the salt can damage things pretty good pretty quickly!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by traveler of california:
If you want some decent "down home cooking" while travelling the interstate stop at Cracker Barrel. Always RV friendly and room to park. Use the Flying J's for fuel as well.

Nick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We like those too. Next Exit book has them listed out and we look for them all the time. You're correct. Very RV friendly..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Black ice is a problem no matter what you are driving. Even 4 wheel drive will not help if you lose control on black ice. Unfortunately, you often don't see/notice it until it's too late. Having said that, if you find yourself on it stay calm, ease off the throtle, avoid sudden moves such as hitting the brake, downshifting or jerking the steering wheel. As for snow, beware of whiteouts, use common sense and if you have any doubts wait it out as far away from traffic as possible. Also consider the "other drivers". You may be doing everything right, but you can't control their moves/lack of control. Not sure if time is a factor but I'd rather my first memory be how I arrive late because I camped in a snowstorm than how I damaged it trying to drive through it.

Congratulations and many safe trips.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:45 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Bob Russo is exactly right. A truism about
4 X 4 vehicles is the only difference between a 4X4 and 2x4 is when you're stuck in a 4X4 you're REALLY STUCK.

Pull over and crank up the tv and furnace.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:51 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

I'll quote the manual below and I have no other info.

"ICE WARNING

The ICE feature is designed to alert the driver when ice may be present on the road. The feature works as follows: When the temperature transitions from above 40F to below 37F, the ICE feature is enabled. The ICE feature loops through the following dispalys for 1 minute; "ICE" for 2 seconds, "outside temperature" for 2 seconds. After the 1 minute timeout expires, the ICE feature is disabled, and the unit returns to displaying the outside temperature. The ICE feature remains disabled until the temperature climbs above 40F. The ICE feature only works in ignition on mode. The feature is not present in cmaping mode. For the ICE feature to be enabled, the outside temperature must be above 40F when ignition is turned on, it is assumed that the driver is already aware of the cold temperature."

I have seen the Ice Warning once in my coach.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote