Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2006, 05:59 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by traveler of california:
If you want some decent "down home cooking" while travelling the interstate stop at Cracker Barrel. Always RV friendly and room to park. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have stayed at Cracker Barrels many times but, during business hours their parking lot is very difficult to negotiate with a large coach towing a vehicle. Their RV/BUS parking spots are not long enough for a large coach with a vehicle in tow. I have to park across 8 or 10 normal parking spots and that is almost impossible when they are open.

I would not recommend ustilizing Cracker Barrels your first trip out in a 40' coach unless you arrive after 10PM and leave before 9AM. In the winter 10PM is 4 or 5 hours after sunset and many of us try to stop before it gets dark.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #22
Administrator Emeritus

I agree with Tom....stopped in Jacksonville last year at a Cracker Barrel northbound,with a 20 foot box trailer in tow.
Darn near got killed "getting" to the place with the way the exit was routed,then had to sugically insert the rig in their rear lot....Turned a few heads that day.

Definitely somewhere to visit "off" peak.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I do know what you mean. I too had some issues in Tucson when we stopped. We had to park A Looooonnnggg way down the road before we could find a good area. Drove around the block about 4 times trying to figure it out too. I personally like truck stops. You can find some great truck stop food if your lucky. Anybody know of some Kansas City BBQ along the 35?

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

BigTrace,
We are in the process of driving to Mesa, AZ from Canada, using some of the very same Interstates that you will be travelling. We left home on Feb. 18 and are now in Belen, NM along I-25. Some of the roads around Oklahoma City were pretty bad and were heavily salted. When we arrive in Amarillo, TX we had the rig and toad washed at a Blue Beacon truck wash - $43.00 in total.
Some things that you might want to consider having onboard with you are some windshield washer antifreeze, a long handled squeegee for the windows, a plastic spray bottle from which you can dispense the washer antifreeze for your rear view mirrors and side windows. You should also consider adding anti-gel agent to your fuel supply if the temps will be below normal during your travels. All of the Flying J's sell Howes Fuel Additive, which works well. Again, if temps are going to be below normal, you may also want a 100' 15A extension cord so that you can plug in your block heater when you over night at a motel. I was only able to do this one night so for the other nights I got up at 0330, went out and started the genny and turned on the block heater on using the genny power. We had no problems using this method and it was COLD...-24F in Sioux Falls, SD.
Regarding black ice, as stated earlier, if you see wheel spray then the chances are very good that you are not driving in icing conditions. That being said, it can just as difficult trying to control a vehicle in slush as it is on ice. The recommendations made earlier about slowing down and not making any sudden directional changes are very good ones. The only other thing that you should consider is not using your exhaust/engine brake in icy/slushy conditions.
Enjoy your new rig, be safe in your travels home and remember the story of the hare and the turtle.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Canuck as these are definitely good suggestions. They are "detailing" my new rig as we speak. It stinks that she'll have to get filthy dirty before we make it home. I will seek a truck wash somewhere along the way especially due to the salt.

Thanks again..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #26
Administrator Emeritus

Last minute advice for Big Trace...<span class="ev_code_BLUE">DRESS WARM</span>!!

Forest City weather forecast....

Feb 23 Thursday
Mainly sunny. Highs in the upper 20s and lows in the upper teens.
-----------------------------------------------
Feb 24 Friday
More clouds than sun. Highs in the upper 30s and lows in the upper teens.
Feb 25 Saturday
Cloudy with flurries. Highs in the mid 20s and lows in the upper single digits.
Feb 26 Sunday
Cloudy with flurries. Highs in the low 20s and lows in the mid teens
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I'm seeing it coming!! Scary to us So.Cal types. We don't know what snow is unless we go looking for it. We should be out of there by Saturday morning hopefully. They are detailing my coach now as I speak and doing a PDI on Bill's rig. We should have few problems if any I hope. Ron is doing a great job and I would highly recommend buying from him in the future..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-22-2006, 03:35 AM   #28

No reason to be scared of the weather....Here in Colorado, those would be considered mild temperatures by any stretch of the imagination....The ski lots are full of motorhomes with a foot of snow on the ground....

Drive slow if it gets icy...your motorhome will do fine....actually, our motorhome handles better in the snow than our regular vehicles...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Big Trace ...

I live in Wisconsin (currently in Santee, CA) ... my suggestion ... if there is snow on the road in Forest City then stay put until the roads are clear and you have a 24 hour window of no more storms approaching from the south before you leave ... (or choose a route that avoids an approaching storm ... you have several choices for when you go west / south ... stay flexible)

Another point ... check the weather forecast before heading west on I-40 out of Albuquerque ... the elevation near Flagstaff is about 7,000 feet ... you can get into nasty winter weather mighty fast in that area ...

congrats on the new coach ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote