Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I was caught in a T situation in a shopping center in my 38' MH. I had people behind me and people stacked up to my right, so I had to make a narrow left turn. There was a light standard on the corner and I knew it would be close at best. I jockeyed the best that I could, but caught the rather large cement encasement on the base of the pole. I knew the pole was there but not the base. There was a guy in a long old-style Cadillac that was impatient and trying to back out in front of me and refused to pull forward any at all. That took the little bit of room that I needed to clear the base anyway. I attempted to squeak by the pole but caught it on my left side about 1/2 down the coach. It mad a terrible racket and I backed back up. As I jockeyed for another attempt, actually started forward, another car got impatient and jetted by in front of me as I was pulling forward. Missed by about an inch according to my daughters boy friend. I refused to move then and the Cadillac finally managed to work his way out in front of me. Another impatient person zoomed into the parking spot, but, luckily, he has a smaller car. I was able to get a better turn and made it past, narrowly missing the base and by running over the curb.

Caved in my cargo door and took the paint off. The door held and operates OK. It is crushed in a bit.

My questions is about parts. Can you buy directly from Winnie or do you have to go through a dealer? I called insurance, but we will wait to see if the $500.00 deductible is more than the cost of fixing it. Does anyone know of a source for such parts?

Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I was caught in a T situation in a shopping center in my 38' MH. I had people behind me and people stacked up to my right, so I had to make a narrow left turn. There was a light standard on the corner and I knew it would be close at best. I jockeyed the best that I could, but caught the rather large cement encasement on the base of the pole. I knew the pole was there but not the base. There was a guy in a long old-style Cadillac that was impatient and trying to back out in front of me and refused to pull forward any at all. That took the little bit of room that I needed to clear the base anyway. I attempted to squeak by the pole but caught it on my left side about 1/2 down the coach. It mad a terrible racket and I backed back up. As I jockeyed for another attempt, actually started forward, another car got impatient and jetted by in front of me as I was pulling forward. Missed by about an inch according to my daughters boy friend. I refused to move then and the Cadillac finally managed to work his way out in front of me. Another impatient person zoomed into the parking spot, but, luckily, he has a smaller car. I was able to get a better turn and made it past, narrowly missing the base and by running over the curb.

Caved in my cargo door and took the paint off. The door held and operates OK. It is crushed in a bit.

My questions is about parts. Can you buy directly from Winnie or do you have to go through a dealer? I called insurance, but we will wait to see if the $500.00 deductible is more than the cost of fixing it. Does anyone know of a source for such parts?

Joe
Old 12-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Living The Dream

You will have to go through a dealer - WGO won't sell parts to you directly.

I suggest you try Lichtsinn, the dealership right there in Forest City, Iowa, by the factory. Lonnie Fox or David Straw at the Parts counter are always helpful. Click the "parts" button here:

http://www.lichtsinn.com/motor...winnebago_dealer.htm

I'm just a satisfied customer - nothing else.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Joe;

Sorry to hear about your problem. I think many of us have been in your situation at some time. Most people are impatient today.

It has been my experience that you have to order through a Winnebago Dealer. I use Lichtsinn Motors. 1-800-343-6255 or
[email protected]. Lonnie & David have been great to work with.
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have been in several tight situations and have just gutted it out when people get impatient and mad. Works out best for both in the long run. One woman yelled and screamed and wanted me to pull out when I didn’t think I could make it. I just smiled and waved her through when she had refused to go. After several minutes of her road rage and me just smiling at her (really makes them mad) she moved. I think the damage to your coach will help you to avoid this problem again.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Before you invest any money in parts I would take the coach to a reputable body shop in your area to see if it can be repaired. We had a cracked fiberglass tail light housing on our coach a few years ago. We were given a price of around $500.00 for the part and another $275.00 for R&R and paint.

Another shop in our area asked "why replace it when it cam be fixed good as new for 1/3 the money?" I removed the part, they repaired and painted it, and I reintalled it with new light assemblies. The total cost for the repair and new lights was less than $275.00
Old 12-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Another source of Winnebago parts is Mobility RV which is about 15 miles east of Forest City. I would check both places. I have bought from both and had great service from both.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

A while back FLYTYER at top of this post HERE provided a phone number through which you can order directly from Winnebago.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Barney at Lazydays Driver's Confidence Course addresses this situation by noting that none of those people know you or will ever see you again. Hope it all works out...we've all almost been there.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Joe ...

A friend of mine said ... you can wait out everybody in these situations because you have a bathroom and they don't

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

SkiGramp good point!!

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harry B:
A while back FLYTYER at top of this post HERE provided a phone number through which you can order directly from Winnebago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The phone number given by FLYTYER is the phone number of Mobility RV which is located in Hanlontown. Both are independent dealers and I believe they both purchase their parts from Winnebago.
3 posts down AFCHAP explains it as follows;

Yes, "they" can do it on line (or at least they have a website). BUT THIS ISN'T WINNEBAGO INDUSTRIES. (Not that it makes a lot of difference in this case). This is MOBILITY RV, located in Hanlontown IA. Their website is www.winnebagoparts.com. They ship, or have Winnebago ship. They will most of the time probably have a better price than your local dealer, even AFTER you pay shipping. Same is true for Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, everyone. I will take a look at the recommended dealers as soon as I know which way is going to be the best for me. I will know that as soon as the insurance person shows up.

I especially like the advice about out waiting everybody! I learned a couple of good lessons: If you don't think you shouldn't go there... don't. If you have to out wait people ... do!
Joe
Old 12-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Joe,
Sorry to hear about the pole. On evacuation from Ike we left at night. It was our maiden voyage. I had to go around a turn-around in the CG and a happy camper parallel parked his 1 ton. I had to back and re-maneuver. In doing so I had not seen the 3" pipe filled with cement in the ground. It dented a whole door panel on the bottom.

I opted not to call the insurance company and found a body man that will repair the aluminum door and small plastic spacer. I did not want insurance involved because it is considered a "moving" accident. A couple of those and the rates go up significantly. (Don't ask me how I kknow.) My wife said to not fix it so I can look at it every trip as a reminder of my foolishness. (I think she called it stupidity)
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

YES, Yes , yes, call some local collision centers and ask if they work on MOHO's. I saved 1m dollars by doing this.

The moral of this story is if YOU don't think you can make a manuever DON"T MOVE. As others have said wait them out just tell them they are smaller an more manueverable than you are. Always, Always have a spotter when backing up.

Happy Holidays
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne M:
Joe,
Sorry to hear about the pole. On evacuation from Ike we left at night. It was our maiden voyage. I had to go around a turn-around in the CG and a happy camper parallel parked his 1 ton. I had to back and re-maneuver. In doing so I had not seen the 3" pipe filled with cement in the ground. It dented a whole door panel on the bottom.

I opted not to call the insurance company and found a body man that will repair the aluminum door and small plastic spacer. I did not want insurance involved because it is considered a "moving" accident. A couple of those and the rates go up significantly. (Don't ask me how I kknow.) My wife said to not fix it so I can look at it every trip as a reminder of my foolishness. (I think she called it stupidity) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, it is a collision in fact. So I cannot un-report it. I don't have to have the insurance fix it, but the rest is a done deal. My adjuster suggested that I consider Mobility RV for the part.
I will call both suggested locations and see.
Joe
Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Winnie will sell parts to you but you will have to pick them up in Forest City, IA. They will not ship parts out. If you call any of their 800 numbers they will give you the phone number of the parts department for pricing.
smith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWatkins:

Right, it is a collision in fact. So I cannot un-report it. I don't have to have the insurance fix it, but the rest is a done deal. My adjuster suggested that I consider Mobility RV for the part.
I will call both suggested locations and see.
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done deal is right, unfortunately. Even if you don't have the insurance fix it, it will still be on their record once you call it in. At least that is what I have been told. Maybe someone on here is an insurance person and could explain that better. If it is true, you may as well claim it if it is still going to be on record.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, I was going to fix it myself, but the price would be very close to my deductible after buying, shipping and painting. I figure that I might as well have the insurance have a go at it since I am going to dance on their string anyway. Of course my ever practical SWMBO suggest that we should "save" the claim until it is a big one...
Joe
Old 12-17-2008, 04:50 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Joe

I assume your cargo door is fiberglass. Find a boat fiberglas repair shop and have them do it. They repair this type of damage all the time---

Good luck,