Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Weighing motor home

I am not having any luck locating a place to weigh my motor home by each individual wheel in the Richardson, Texas area. Does anyone know of any locations that do this?
I/m probably not the only one who could use some help in this area. Thanks in advance.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #2

You can do this on a standard truck scale (available at most truck stops) that has room on either side to pull onto the concrete and off the scale. To weigh the driver's side, keep the passenger side wheels off the scale and on the concrete while placing the driver's side front wheel on the front axle scale and the driver's side rear wheels on the drive axle scale. Reverse the process (i.e., keep the driver's side wheels on the concrete and off the scale) and reweigh to get the passenger side wheel weights.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

FWIW It might be easier to weigh the Front then the Rear followed by which ever side is easier and subtract that from the Front and Rear. This way you do not need to change direction in the traffic flow. Also make sure you are near level when you do the Side Only measurement.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
You can do this on a standard truck scale (available at most truck stops) that has room on either side to pull onto the concrete and off the scale. To weigh the driver's side, keep the passenger side wheels off the scale and on the concrete while placing the driver's side front wheel on the front axle scale and the driver's side rear wheels on the drive axle scale. Reverse the process (i.e., keep the driver's side wheels on the concrete and off the scale) and reweigh to get the passenger side wheel weights.

Rusty
All of the truck stop scales that I've seen recently have the pipe bollards in place so you can't get over more than 2 feet. Most of them are also elevated about two feet making it more difficult The farmers co-op in Elkhart, TX does not have the bollards but I did have to go across one way, turn around and come back. Charged me for four weighs...$10.00 Also, if you can find the DPS Weights and Measurements boys out doing their job, they will weigh each corner at no charge. Watch this can of worms I'm about to open...make sure you have the legal license for your rig.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #5

Your very best option is to catch up with RVSEF at one of the many RV shows that they attend. Here's a link to their schedule.
RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Call your local DOT to see if they have portable truck scales. Virginia does and when I called, they said they would be happy to do a 4 corner weight if I could meet them in a local Walmart lot on a certain day. I wasn't able to meet them but did get a weight at the IRV2 National Rally in 2009. Most state DOT's have crews that can do this.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I'm with Jim. Contact your favorite state police and ask if, based on safety, they would be willing to weigh your coach. You may want to donate to the "Benefit."
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote