Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

WeBoost recommendations

Hello all,

Trying to decide on weboost options for our RV. Any thoughts on Drive Reach versus the Drive X rv? In my research I haven't been able to find information and/or reviews that really highlight major differences and with price being within $20 that is not a driving factor. Just looking for what may provide a better reception boost mostly while parked, but during driving conditions at times.

Regards,
Old 06-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #2

OP: Why do you think you need a WeBoost?

Times are changing and 4G-LTE is everywhere.

Are you mostly interested in cell phone coverage or internet access or both?

For the price I think WeBoost is going to die out. And now that I said that, you should be hearing from the diehards out there who swear by WeBoost!

So let's see what they have to say?
Old 06-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the comment. For me here in Central Washington, especially parking in state parks, cell coverage has been spotty. During our first trip out talked with two individuals at the site indicating they have either the weboost or a similar device to help with internet access. Given my need to be connected to work it is nice to have, along with streaming capabilities that both of these individuals indicated they were able to achieve with their boost devices. We were unable to stream using our devices as hotspots. More of a nice enhancement, not necessarily a requirement. Thanks again.

Regards,
Old 06-05-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I think one big point to keep in mind is whether there is signal there to boost! We often do not find any signal at all so have deferred on getting any form of booster.
Flat country or where there are lots of folks like along highways, we get signals but once we get off into the areas we like most, no signal to boost.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
Site Team

We have an older model Drive 4G-X. When we need it, which is about 30% of the time it makes all the difference. But it can't work wonders. We were at a State Park north of Memphis over Memorial Day weekend. Zero cell service on ATT or Verizon. With the WeBoost we got a very tiny amount, but it allowed us to Text and to read and send emails without images. Opening a webpage took 5 mins or longer... when it worked.

However, all of our neighbors had zero service. And once when my wife called me to ask why I had left to walk the dog and stayed gone for 20 mins the couple I was talking to were shocked that I could get a phone call. I was near enough to my RV (next door) to make WiFi calling work a tiny bit.

My Weboost is 5-years old. The newer model (Drive Reach) is not much better at boosting incoming signals, but is better at broadcasting the boosted signal in the RV. But keep in mind it's only a little bit better.

We've found that the WeBoost does not have much if any effect on our cell phones. To be beneficial you have to be immediately adjacent to the indoor antenna from the booster. But we get all of our internet via broadband hotspot devices. And for those we can put the device right on top of the indoor antenna and it can really make a difference.

The outside antenna that comes with the booster makes the most difference and that's one place the Drive Reach has it all over the Drive X. For a $50 difference in price I'd say it's worth it.

Now... would I buy another cellular booster? I'm not sure.

I'm considering upgrades to my mobile internet electronics and have been going over all of this in the past week at https://www.rvmobileinternet.com. This is a paid website that specializes in testing all of the mobile internet devices and plans to help you find what you need to get online. I've been a member for 4 years and find it very worthwhile.

You can't see it because you are not (yet) a paying member but I've asked this very question over at the forum on that website and pretty much the answer is to get better antennas on my roof for my hotspots and skip updating the booster.

New phones, routers, cellular hotspots come with multiple antennas. This is called MiMo antennas - Multiple In / Multiple Out. The genuis of these things is they send and receive in multiple directions to multiple towers at the same time. So, if your mobile hotspot has multiple antenna connections - mine do - then using two antenna on the roof directly connected to the hotspot's two antenna ports is generally better than a booster (which has only one antenna and one boosting amplifier).

Sorry for the long post - it's a complicated subject and doesn't have an easy one-size-fits all answer.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #6

As I have been going thru the learning curve, this is how I look at this solving the cell phone and internet connection problem on the road. (And I'm not talking about streaming video this year.)

1) Forget about using your cell phone as a hot spot. Just keep paying your $20 or less per month subscription fee, and keep your current cell phone separate from your hot spot service plan options, which I will tell you more about below.

2) Buy a 4G-LTE (cell phone) Router that uses T-Mobile or ATT sim card. Why? These carriers broadcast over GSM. Verizon uses CDMA technology and I think they are falling behind.

* Keep this in mind: A 4G-LTE Cell Phone Router means you need a sim card (from a phone service carrier) and that means you will be paying for a separate data plan.

3a) I went with Ting.com for Verizon CDMA cell phone service on my every day cell phone, because Verizon still has the most extensive 3G cell phone service... and I pay $10/month + $5/1GB of data. So my monthly cell phone bill is about $17 after taxes.

3b) I also when with Ting.com for their T-mobile GSM cell phone service (and sim card) in my new Toushi 4G-LTE-Cell Phone Router...and I pay $25/month for 5GB of data and I only use it as a hotspot service even though I could put this sim card in an AT&T phone and I would be able to make cell phone calls. (Which I will probably never do since I use TextNow.Com as an internet VOIP phone and What's App for making calls when I have internet service.) So when I am On The Road (OTR) I pay about $27/month more to have 4G-LTE WiFi (internet) service.
===
Have I confused you? I hope not. There are so many ways to make a cell phone call it's why the carriers practically give away free talk and text services... BUT... you still need a signal!
===
Ting also has larger data plans, but if you are not streaming videos (sorry kids) then you don't need more WiFi-data-OTR.
===
Note: If you are in an RV park that offers WiFi then yes, you may find the WeBoost and/or Wineguard products to be of use then, because you are not paying for data.

Instead, you are affectively just using the parks WIFI "hot spot" and then your entertainment system can route the video to your TVs. This is useful if you use a Roku device, but you still need a pretty strong signal or you video will get "buffered."
===
Alternatively, if you don't mind watching video on your computer, then I would recommend you buy a $20 WiFi Adapter; which is really just a high gain antenna for use with your PC.

And with this little device it will increase your PC antenna gain by 3-4x so you can stream anything you want for free! ...If you can get a signal?

Note: I used a WiFi Adapter almost exclusively last year OTR... tapping into hotspots here-and-there; before I bought my 4G-LTE-Cell Phone Router this year... and it worked really well. And all the data was free. In fact, I still use this Tiger WiFi Adapter when I can reach a hot spot with a couple city blocks... or when Spectrum or Cox have hot spots in the city I am visiting since my home cable service allows me free hot spot use.

I.e., I have Spectrum cable service at home in Hawaii, and my mother has a Cox Cable account in California. So I use her username and password when I'm in COX service areas, and I use my Spectrum account username and password to get free data all day and all night! So I highly recommend you get one of these WiFi Adapters for your travels. And you may use it in your home if you are having connection problems in a far away room.

TIGER AC1300 WiFi Adapter ($20) On Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Wirel...tronics&sr=1-4

All this said, I did NOT go the WeBoost route, because I think the 4G-LTE Cell Phone Routers with it's higher gain antennas are going to dominate the market in the years ahead. TBD.

OTHER COMMENTS

A cell phone can be your best safety net when traveling on the road.

And with 4G-LTE now available everywhere, you probably will find you now have cell phone coverage in the same campground or out of the way spot you visited last year.

Of course, you don't know that until you go back to your favorite spot so there is a gamble of not having a WeBoost, but if you buy a Weboost and you don't need it your are also gambling.

What is the cost for a WeBoost these days? $400-$500? IDK. But if any toy cost more than $200 I'm not that interested.

4 years ago we only cared about getting our cell phones to work in "the weeds." Now we want both our cell phone to work and our internet to work too... and the kids want to stream videos. (Tell them no... we're going on a hike tomorrow and tonight you need your sleep.)

3 years ago I bought T-mobile's hot spot because it was cheaper for data

2 years ago I bought Verizon's Jet Pack Hot Spot, because Verizon lowered their data prices, and Verizon had better 3G/4G coverage.

However, there were also places in the USA where T-mobile would work and Verizon would not and the same goes for AT&T. So it was good to have both types of devices.

Now these hot spot devices just sit in my drawer since the Toushi 4G-LTE Cell Phone Router I bought for $109, which is just a hot spot device too, but it has better antenna gain vs. the Verizon Jet Pack or T-mobile hot spot device.

Are there better options available today? ...Yes. ...And here they are:

($169) https://www.amazon.com/TUOSHI-1200Mb...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

...but the antennas on this device are fixed; and while you may be paying more for faster download speeds, which is good, what you really want is more antenna gain ... which is the WeBoost affect we want... only now you can get 4G-LTE speed with a 4G-LTE Router!

Can I boost the antenna gain of a 4G-LTE cell phone router?

IDK. I have not tried it. If this is possible you need to get a 4G-LTE router that has screw-in antenna ports. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Consequently, I can't comment on how or if you can to boost the antenna gain of this 4G-LTE device, but I think it's possible.

I really don't know. ...If you go this route, please let us know what antenna you added to improve your signal strength of a 4G-LTE Cell phone router?

Note: If you can get 2 bars of 4G-LTE then all you really need to spend is $109 for this cell phone gigabit router, and I even took it to Mexico and it works with Telcel sim cards down there:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MX8SM1X...ing=UTF8&psc=1

WHY DID IT WORK IN MEXICO

When you buy Verizon or T-Mobile or AT&T hot spot, they have contracts and agreements in the USA and with the Mexican cell phone companies to NOT sell their services for hot spot use; and most hot spot devices from these carriers will not work with other sim cards from 3rd party carriers; and they will not work in Mexico unless you pay a premium to these cell phone carriers.

On the other hand, this Toushi 4G-LTE Cell Phone Router will accept a Ting (GSM) Sim Card for use in the USA and a TelCel Sim Card for use in Mexico with a Mexican cell phone plan. (I know this for certain, because I tested this out myself last month!)

So this Toushi 4G-LTE Router looks like a cell phone device (like Samsung, AT&T, Nokia, etc.) and they have no agreements with T-Mobile or AT&T or Telcel to exclude this device.

So if you have a sim card that works with the Toushi IMEI number you can receive both cell phone and WiFi data in the USA and Mexico, because the Toushi Device looks like a cell phone and not a hot spot when it connects.

Note: You are still paying a premium for data On The Road (OTR), but at least you have WiFi access wherever you can get 4G-LTE; and the antenna gain on this Toushi 4G-LTE router is far better than the T-mobile or Verizon Jet Pack (hot spot devices) and that's why these things are just sitting in my drawer.

You also can use other off-label data sim cards you can buy at Target or 7-11; and you can pay-as-you-go on a month-to-month basis.

SUMMARY

*IMO, WeBoost and Wineguard may still have a purpose this year, but certainly they look like they are going to be obsolete soon.

* If you want to stream video, maybe you you can get by with a $20 WiFi Adapter so long as you don't mind watching it on your compter and not your TV.

* If you want video on your TV maybe you need Direct TV or Dish and you should get a Winegard "Traveler Antenna" like we all have been using for 20+ years.

* Where you have Spectrum and Cox and Infinity hotspots... in most major cities... I would buy a $20 WiFi Adapter and tap into their services and pay nothing for their hot spot data!

* And when you need WiFi access OTR, you can use your Toushi 4G-LTE-Cell Phone Router. And you do stock trading on this puppy if you want. 4G-LTE is surprising fast!

* Verizon towers use CDMA and are IMO your best option for connecting a cell phone.

...But your 3G is piss-poor for internet use. Still, 3G may allow you to download and upload an email, which is sometime all us old people want to do anyway. So 3G is not dead, yet.

Sprint is becoming T-mobile and T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM technology and towers to broadcast. I'm not brand loyal, but unless Verizon comes up with a cheaper data plan I would bet they are going to fall behind in user subscriptions. Which is why there are so many 2nd-lable cell phone carriers popping up in the market, because Verizon does not want to tarnish their name by bombing their prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna 3D Picture.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	179331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toushi Cell Phone Router 4G-LTE.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	179332  

Old 06-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
As I have been going thru the learning curve,
Just as an FYI, here are a few clarifications: GSM and CDMA have effectively been replaced by LTE for all data service a when 4G was fully activated. Verizon uses a kind of CDMA over LTE (Voice over LTE) but only for text and voice on older phones. Not data.

All new phones are carrier agnostic as they all use LTE and so do all carriers. You can even buy phones that have both ATT and Verizon SIMs and work on both networks. As an example, changing a 5 year old Verizon iphone 5 to ATT service requires only changing a SIM card.

Older phones that don't support Voice over LTE will lose service when 3G is completely phased out over the next 18 months.

Quote:
Verizon has delayed its CDMA 3G network shutdown several times but is now firmly committed to shutting the network down by December 31st, 2022. All 3G basic phones and smartphones will lose service, but some 4G devices will be impacted as well — namely, those that don't support VoLTE (Voice over LTE).
Lastly, Sprint was acquired by T-Mobile over a year ago and as of Aug 2020 Sprint no longer exists. Sprint plans etc are grandfathered but the service is provided by T-Mobile.

I have no idea what is happening to LTE or 3G in Mexico. So, perhaps that's a consideration for imnprsd.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #8

Creative Part: So you are basically saying, when we connect to 4G-LTE (today) we are really using 3G for voice communications. Is that right?

I don't think I addressed this point, but even if I did, how is that relevant to buying a WeBoost today? ...Which is the subject of this thread?

Specifically, are you endorsing the purchase of WeBoost in today's market or not?

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET WiFi DATA ON THE ROAD?

I know you like this sort of thing. ...So, maybe you will take the lead and test some of this new technology out?

I.e., maybe you will buy one of these 4G-LTE Cell Phone Routers - and I recommend the type you can add a booster antenna too (the screw-in type) and then that will turn out to be the new gold standard for us RVers On The Road?

I would do it myself, but my cheaper 4G-LTE Cell Phone Router connects everywhere I travel so I don't need more antenna gain, and there is no point in me trying to figure out a better way to get WiFi data on the road -- when I presently get about 17MB-50MB "down" and 5-10MB "up."

So, keep us posted when your WeBoost just isn't doing it for you anymore, and you decide to upgrade.

Times are a change'n. And we rely on your objectivity so we can make informed, buy-decisions on our side.

Everywhere I have been this year in my RV, I have had good 4G-LTE data; and by default that means I also have good voice communications.

So I don't need WeBoost and I'm not recommending it.

And my second point: If you want free WiFi and the ability to stream video, via a hot spot, maybe you you can get by with a $20 WiFi Adapter? ...So long as you don't mind watching it on your computer and not your TV.

This one is working great for me:

TIGER AC1300 WiFi Adapter ($20) On Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Wirel...tronics&sr=1-4

And for $50 this one is faster and newer. In fact, I think every RVer should have one: (See picture below.) ...Who can argue with fast & free?

https://www.amazon.com/Cudy-1900Mbps...ronics&sr=1-30

===

As for Mexico, that's as different animal all together. However, from what I can tell that subject centers around carrier band frequencies. ...And that is why some modern phones can connect to both Verizon and T-Mobile towers. ...But feel free to elaborate on that if you like.

===

And you are right. I shouldn't have said: "Sprint is becoming T-mobile..." when they were purchased last year. I should have said: "Sprint is now T-mobile." So thank you for correcting me on that important point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC1900 Antenna Adapter with 4 Antennas $50.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	179336  
Old 06-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for the detailed information, suggestions, and responses. Definitely has given me something to think about. Definitely a lot of options that could be considered.

Regards,
Old 06-07-2021, 12:27 PM   #10

As already explained, I am using the $109 Toushi 4G-LTE WiFi Router with a Ting Sim Card and service, and this configuration is working very well where I travel for $25/mo. So I really don't need a "better" device; and for $25/mo I think that qualifies as "affordable."

However, if I was looking for a "better" 4G-LTE Router solution then I would buy a 4G-LTE Router that has 2 WiFi antennas I can unscrew... so I can add a higher gain antenna. And if I really wanted to get the best coverage-distance, then I would mount the antenna on my roof... or just keep in inside my RV so I can point it in different directions for optimal signal reach/gain.

Why would I care about more antenna gain?

Answer: Frankly, I don't care, because as I explained, my Toushi 4G-Router is working fine, but if I had a need for a higher antenna gain (-9dB to -18dB) I would probably be able to get 2 benefits:

1) I would be able to connect to a tower broadcasting from a farther distance away... when I might not be able to connect with my Toushi -4dB antenna; and...

2) A higher antenna gain results in "more bars" which often results in higher date rates for better PC or video performance.

* Do I care about video performance?

...Not really. I don't have kids who want to stream videos. And even if I had kids, I would not let them watch videos if I had to pay for for data use. (Like I have to do now.)

...In today's market, I found all these so called "unlimited" data plans will throttle you back to nearly unusable speeds after ~50GB of download data, but times are a changing and one day there will be a true "unlimited" data plan available. (Like Creative Part is grandfathered into.)

Creative: Is your equipment 4G-LTE capable?

Note: I'm guessing with 5G becomes the norm, it will be 4G-LTE backward compatible, but the 5G Cell Phone WiFi Routers will be screaming-fast!

Note: And who know what to expect from Satellite systems? I.e., I get Sirus everywhere... and I mean everywhere... and it never buffers or fails unless I'm in a tunnel.

SO WHAT DO I NEED FROM WiFi WHEN I AM TRAVELING?

* I need the ability to connect to WiFi, which I now get with 4G-LTE, and which antenna gain is important. This is why I don't use my Verizon Jet Pack anymore; I.e., I get better antenna gain with my Toushi 4G-LTE Router, but the other reason is that the Toushi Data Plan is cheaper than Verizon... and I don't want to use my cell phone as a "hot spot."

==> And typically, if I can connect to 4G-LTE I can use my cell phone, but if that is a problem, I can use What's App to communicate and text over the internet.

* Cheap data.

* Fast enough data download speed to access my emails and surf the web.

CAN I USE ROKU OR CHROMECAST WITH MY 4G-LTE ROUTER?

* Sure you can. But until there is a true 4G-LTE unlimited data plan you will not be able to watch very many movies and it will be expensive.

WHAT EQUITMENT WOULD I BUY TODAY IF I KNOW I WILL BE IN A WEAK COVERAGE AREA?

I sent questions to this Amazon Seller and below are their answers.

Here are the Amazon links to buy this 4G-LTE Router and high gain antenna.

4G LTE Router with Cat6 up to 300Mbps Download Speed 3G 4G Router WiFi with Unlocked SIM Card

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y8TML9X...0668520_dpLink

Proxicast 4G / LTE Cross-Polarized (MIMO) 7-10 dBi High-Gain Fixed-Mount Panel Antenna

https://www.amazon.com/Proxicast-Cro...EDN1VTCF2P29FE

===

And just so you don't forget, you will get a lot of benefit by having a USB-WiFi-Adapter Antenna like I posted in the above thread. These are cheap and will boost your PC antanna gain so you can reach free "hot spots" available in cities, around restaurants, in Home Depot and Lowe's parking lot, and in RV Parks... all unlimited data for free!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4G-LTE Router High Gain Antenna Question.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	179389   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G-LTE Router High Gain Antenna.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	179390  

Name:	4G-LTE Router CDMA & GSM Use.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	179391   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G-LTE Router Use In Mexico.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	179392  

Old 06-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
Site Team

imnprsd, it's important to realize that you have specific needs that are perhaps unique to you. What works for you may not work for others.

There are many reasons the router you are using is right for you and wrong for others.

The fact that you don't stream TV over the internet makes a huge difference in your needs. When we used SAT TV I'd say we probably only used 10 gigs of cellular data - or less - a month. Now, on a month long trip we use 200 to 300 gigs. And, getting that kind of data service everywhere without fail is more important to us.

My experience doesn't apply to everyone either. And what internet I use or need is much greater than what imnprsd uses.

This doesn't make anybody wrong or right. The plain truth is there isn't a definitive answer that will work for everyone.

This is why it's most important to make a deep dive into the subject and the various options. Then you can figure out what you need and decide what is the best choice - for you. This is why I always try to point people to www.rvmobileinternet.com. They are the single best source for info on all things mobile internet.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #12

This is why a debate is good. It puts the facts on the table so people can decide what to do, based on there needs, and how much it will cost?

I also tried my best to explain what my needs are and why I did not buy a WeBoost.

Specifically, I said, I only need to access the internet to use email and search the web. I also said, I do not have an unlimited cell phone plan, that is cost effective, so I do not use the 4G-LTE Router to stream videos (and TV).

I thing people can figure out if their needs are different? And then then can decide how much to spend for internet on the road and for what purpose. I most certainly am not saying WeBoost does not offer some advantage, but it would "overkill" for someone like me.

My goal was to get the BEST for the LEST EXPENSE and this is how I did it:

My Toushi 4G-LTE Router cost: $109.

The cost of cell phone & hot spot data service thru Ting: $25/5GB... and this is all I need when traveling.

I then explained... when I get to my destination I use a $20 USB-ADAPTER to boost my PC signal strength to get free hot spot use where I can connect.

Note: In RV parks that provide internet the USB-Adapter (PC antenna booster) works great. However, relying on RV park-internet for video streaming works about 80% of the time I would say.

Traditionally, this has been a Direct TV vs. Dish debate, but now it's becoming a 4G-LTE (and soon 5G) debate too, when the cost of data comes down.

And let's not forget we now have digital OTA TV that has 40 mile signal coverage for TV stations, which is not the same as watching theater movies, but come-on, this is glamping after all.

Creative Part likes to leave little facts like "cost of service" out of his criticisms. So when he tells you he has uses 300GB of data (in a short period of time... not even one month) he forgets to tell you he has a grandfathered "true unlimited" plan -- at promotional prices -- that is no longer offered to the rest of us.

So the subject of this thread is: "WeBoost recommendations." And my position is that I don't need WeBoost. I think I am clear about that and why I do not need WeBoost.

* I also I think other people can decide what they think is best for their needs; and I don't think I'm being unfair or wrong about what I have shared. In fact, I think what information I have provided has never been shared on this forum to my knowledge; and therefore I consider it very educational and helpful for those who are trying to make a "buy decision."

Here's what I would like to know:

Creative Part: Do you do or do you not recommend WeBoost for $500... if you had to buy a data plan in today's market... at today's market prices?

So I'm talking about "apples" ...as in how to get the cheapest internet access for little things like email and web searching; and CreativePart is talking about "oranges" as in how to stream TV and video that uses a lot of data and is expensive.

That's fine.

So now I would like to learn about how to most cost effectively stream TV and Video when you only have a 4G-LTE cell phone signal?

CreativePart: What equipment do I need to stream TV & video like you do; and how much would 300GB cost in today's market?
Old 06-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #13
Site Team

I would make a correction - on a forum post like this we are not sharing facts we are sharing opinions.

The question of getting a Weboost or other booster is one that depends on a number of variables.

1. How vital is usable internet to your RV lifestyle?
2. Where do you like to camp in your RV - populated areas or deep in the woods, desert, etc
3. What are you using for your internet access? Phones, Jetpack/Mofi/Broadband device?
4. What's your budget?

When I purchased my Weboost I was self-employed in an internet business and needed constant reliable internet access. We liked camping in national forest campgrounds. But all of our TV was via Dish Network. So, internet was not part of that. Just the fact we needed internet for work.

Now, I'm retired. We travel more to far more places and stay in cities, towns, forest and deserts. So, I rely on the Weboost much less. Only about 30% of the time. The rest of the time we still depend on cellular data for our internet, but we're close to good cellular service and the booster isn't needed.

We have found that adding better antennas - MiMo antenna specifically, can out perform the Weboost in many instances. A $39 Netgear MiMo antenna can vastly improve our speeds to 25-80 mbps over a booster. But, to use this one must have a MiFi broadband device with multiple TS-9 antenna inputs. The best of these devices do have that and we have one of these for both ATT and Verizon.

I'm upgrading my equipment right now - but not the booster. I'm adding an cheap $15 antenna to my RV's roof to pair with my existing $15 antenna that came with the Webost. The two antennas together will make a kind of "mock" MiMo setup that I can plug directly into my Mifi devices. If I need the booster in a certain location. I can still use one of the rooftop antenna with the Weboost. So, I loose nothing but gain a rooftop MiMo antenna system.

I'm upgrading one of my Mifi broadband devices. I have a state of the art device for my ATT service - the Netgear Nighthawk 1100 (it costs $269 on AZN). But my Verizon Jetpack was a 4 year old 7730L. So, I've just bought an Inseego 8800L Verizon Jetpack. It cost $104 on AZN. Lastly, I bought a new Wifi Ranger Aspen Router for $129. This will replace my older Wifi Ranger GoAC router. The new router is faster, more capable and more convenient to use. I didn't really need it because the old router worked fine. But this mobile router is the device I interface with the most on my RV and the new one is 3 times faster in setting up and using.

So, I have a total of approximately $800 in equipment counting the purchase of the previous Weboost and Nighthawk - and this new gear.

I rely 100% on cellular internet access - campground wifi works for us 10% of the time. It's slow, halts frequently and is pretty much unusable. So, I bring my own internet everywhere I go.

Yes, I have ATT and Verizon data plans that are currently unavailable (both cost me a total of $63 a month combined) and are totally unlimited in high speed data. But one could get similar access it would just cost more. I know of places selling totally unlimited ATT for $100 a month. Verizon is tougher, but T-Mobile has 100 gb data service for $60 a month. As SpaceX's Starlink becomes more mobile as it's doing right now one can have totally unlimited very high speed data for $100 a month.

It all goes back to the 4-questions I asked previously. What do YOU need?
Old 06-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #14

Woops, I did it again: Instead of saying: "This is why a debate is good. It puts the facts on the table so people can decide what to do, based on there needs, and how much it will cost?"

I should have said: "This is why a debate is good. It puts opinions on the table so people can decide what to do, based on there needs, and how much it will cost?"

Thank you for for correcting me.

You also said: "imnprsd, it's important to realize that you have specific needs that are perhaps unique to you. What works for you may not work for others."

My reply: I bet 95% of people traveling first what to know how they can get cheap, reliable internet data ON THE ROAD... before they care about steaming TV and Video. (Just my opinion of course.) So yes, I bet I'm talking to the vast majority of RV people out there. So why are your trying to "minimize" what I am saying?

Now when the day comes we all can get streaming TV and Video for a low buy-in cost of service and the hardware, then 100% of us would like to know what that solution is. But we aren't there yet.

The issues regarding WiFi Data Access are:

* Coverage areas -- In the hands of the data makers.

* Antenna options -- More gain for better reception and data download/upload.

* Technology choices - Limited by the hardware you buy in most cases.

* Service cost - Which is getting cheaper all the time due to competition.

I also agree, Space-X has promise, but presently you can't only get it in (what) about 10 states? IDK. ...But their coverage is growing. Alternatively, 5G is coming.

In 2021, we now can buy 4G-LTE Routers (only on Amazon and not from stores) that may help a lot of people.

Now, I admit these 4G-LTE Routers are just another "Jet Pack" device, but they do come with a higher gain antenna, and CAT5/6 ports if you need them... and you probably don't.

...And with these "off label" 4G-LTE Router devices you can buy the cheaper data plan -- and that's a salient feature for me.

The subject of this thread is Weboost. So to keep everything in perspective, IMO let me be clear, or if I'm stating a fact, and maybe I am, and maybe I'm not: Why would anyone buy a WeBoost if they don't have a cheap unlimited data plan, like CreativePart has, and which we cannot get?

Let me put it another way, and this is just my opinion, so I conform to the house rules: If you park your RV on pavement now, chances are you don't need a WeBoost any longer! ...And if you still do, by some outside chance, by next year you probably will not!

So who cares why you bought Weboot in the past. IMO, you probably don't (that is to say, 95% of you out there probably don't) need WeBoost today.

Of course, I only travel 8,000 - 10,000 miles/year, and almost never stay in RV parks, and I travel to Mexico. So yes, my situation may very not be similar to where you travel and stay. And I don't care about streaming TV or Movies at today's data plan prices.

For $499, IMO, WeBoost is way overpriced for what it does in this market, but you may come to a different conclusion if where you are located your only option is to connect with Weboost. ...In which case, one might conclude, maybe they are not charging enough?

====

And you see those 4 antennas on that 4G-LTE Router? Well, two are for broadcasting to you device and two are for connecting to the cell phone tower (in what ever frequency is available and at the highest speed). So slapping a high gain antenna on to the box is not rocket science. This antenna technology has been around for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Toushi Cell Phone Router 4G-LTE.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	179403   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G-LTE Router High Gain Antenna Question.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	179404  

Old 06-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #15
Site Team

I'm not sure I'm being clear enough - a cellular booster doesn't have anything to do with your data plan or streaming TV, etc. It's only purpose is to increase the signal strength of distant cellular signals. Period.

As I think I've said a number of times. I find it useful maybe 30% of the time. Meaning most of the time, a full 70% of the time it doesn't help at all.

Do you want to buy one? Well, do you routinely find yourself in an area with little to no cellular service? And if you do is that a problem for you? if the answer is no, then... don't buy one.

If mine broke would I buy a replacement? Maybe. There are a few State Parks I go to - and I park on the pavement - where having the booster made all the difference in cellular access. And, some of those places I return to often.

About the "Unique" nature of your usage - you stated that you find free or campground Wifi suits your needs 90% of the time. I'm positive that that is unique. Just go over to IRV2 and search the hundreds of RV internet posts - some threads have thousands of posts and the inability to get by on campground or free WiFi is a central theme. So, I'd call your situation "unique" to you.

Clearly, you have your setup and you're happy with it. That's great. I have mine and I'm happy with it too. The OP asked about two Weboost products and I responded with my 4-years of experience with one of the products he was asking about.

I hope it helped him.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #16

Ok... I spell it out for you.

First, let me say, there are no truly unlimited, unthrottled, 100% 4G-LTE data plans there for under $100, because they don't exist. Ergo, you can't stream movies or TV for the same price as CreativePart does.

I.e, the technology is there but the pricing plan is not, yet.

Therefore, IMO, it would be helpful if you stop trying to confuse everyone buy talking about how how you can connect to a weak signal with Weboot vs. the ability to stream data at an affordable price. This is apples and oranges as I have pointed out.

And if I'm being clear enough. In the simplest of terms: IMO, the reasons to buy Weboost are almost non existent in today's market.

I think I can say this because I travel over the same roads as you do, as it relates to my travel destinations; and after returning to the same places year-after-year, for the last 6 years of trying to obtain internet service, I now can connect to 4G-LTE when previously I had no 3G/4G service.

I.e., where once I could NOT get a 3G cell phone signal, or 4G in 2020, I admit I could have used a WeBoost. ...But this year, in 2021, I get all the 4G-LTE I need; and it only cost me $109 for the 4G-LTE Router device on Amazon, and a $25/month for a 5GB data hot spot plan with Ting.com.

That's a good thing if you are an RVer... of all types! So don't let CreativePart "minimize" my message to you, which is:

IMO, with the exception of you BLM types, us typical RVers DO NOT need a WeBoost any longer! ...Last year we did. ...This year we do not!

What we need now is a cheap "all you can eat data plan." So if you find one, please let us know.

And when you find one, IMO, you will want to buy these things:

* A 4G-LTE Cell Phone Router, which is the same thing as CreativePart's Nano Router, and he knows it, only he paid $269 (or more 1-2 years ago) I paid $109 for my 4G-LTE Router.

Of course, to be fair he has owned his Nano Router for 1-2 years where I just bought my off label Toushi Router last month. That's called "price erosion" ...and what's more I bet my Toushi Router gets better antenna gain vs. his nano router, but if you can connect with 2+ bars that's really all that matters.

2 years ago I would have loved to have that Nano Router, but not today, and for other reasons I will not go into, besides the fact you don't need to spend that much money to access the internet on the road anymore!

Here's how I would go about getting the maximum value for my money in today's market if you want to access the internet from your RV... no matter if you stream TV or Videos or just want to send emails and do a little surfing for the lowest possible price:

* Buy that $199, 4G-LTE router on Amazon, if you think you are need a high gain antenna. However, if you don't need a high gain antenna, then I recommend you buy the $109 4G-LTE Router and save your money. (Or buy a used Verizon JetPack on Ebay for $20 and see if your signal coverage is strong enough to use this solution? There's a 70/30 change it will work just fine, but you will have to go with Verizon's data plan, which right now is more expensive.)

* By an off label GSM type sim card and data plan. (TING, H2O, MINT ...if they have a sim card compatible with the 4G-LTE Router that uses a GSM sim card.)

* And then if you still can't connect where you park your RV, wherever you park your RV, BLM, beach, State Parks, etc, then I would by a $99 antenna booster and see if you can connect. And for this you need the $199 4G-LTE Router with screw-on antennas.

* And then if you still can't connect where you park your RV, I would return the $99 antenna booster, and see if you can connect with a WeBoost Device. Just don't be surprised if you can't, because sometimes those cell phone antennas are located just too far away.

CreativePart knows all this stuff, and he has access to the best sources. So why he has trouble agreeing with me I cannot say, but he knows I'm speaking the truth.

This information just came out 2 weeks ago regarding unlimited cell phone plans... which is "false advertising" if you ask me:

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks...ited-data-plan

...Read the small print on Mint's Unlimited Plan below.

===

Just look at the prices of a use Verizon "Jet Pack" on Ebay. It's in the toilet, and the Jet Pack was and still is a good Hot Spot Device. Note: I hear the new JetPacks are not 3G compatible. IDK for sure, or if this even matters.

Maybe, if Creativepart is so inclined, he will tell us why he just bought the newer JetPack Inseego 8800L over a $20 used MiFi6620L on on Ebay? ...and if Verizon extended his "unobtanium" data plan to this new device?

I really don't know. Maybe the Verizon Inseego 8800L is 5G capable? I have not looked into it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mint Unlimited Plan $30 (Throttled at 35GB), 6-7-21.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	179409  
Old 06-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #17
Living The Dream

I was thinking of responding to the OP, but now I’m very confused. Better to keep my opinions to myself … probably wouldn’t make any sense anyway.

Actually I don’t know what my opinions are on this anymore. I tried to follow it all, but got very lost. With all due respect, of course, it’s just beyond my expertise.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #18

Unhappy

Sometimes I feel like I'm just wasting my time! Ug!

SeeTheUSA just wants to know what he should do?

I said my peace, and since this thread has turned in to a debate between CreativePart and myself, I would like to know how CreativePart can help SeeTheUSA figure it all out?

Specifically, in the interest of this thread, do you think the OP should by a WeBoost and what other equipment does he need?

Remember, the WeBoost is just a signal booster. ...Like a range extender for your house only the WeBoost works with Cell Phone Carrier frequencies.

Here's another question: What frequencies does Weboost support? ...my guess is that their frequency list is outdated or you have to buy their latest model to get the newer frequencies, but I really don't know. I bet CreativePart does? Seriously. This is his area of expertise and I'm just a user like you!

So far, nothing I have read suggests you should buy a WeBoost before you find out if one of these 4G-LTE Routers will work where you like to travel?

...And please don't tell me why you bought the Weboost last year. That ship has sailed away!

...And please don't shoot me because you think I'm quarreling with CreativePart, because in reality we are saying the same thing.

I just look at the world differently. That much is obvious and helpful, because without debate the best ideas don't percolate to the top. ...Which I hope is still a valid method of "best practices" without hitting the "cancel button" that is so common these days.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Lichtsinn installed a Drive X RV in our View last summer as part of our purchase.

I was very disappointed in the performance - and ran signal tests to see what was happening.

The Drive X only supports LTE - and it didn't support all of the bands used by Sprint, so we weren't even getting full LTE support.

Plus, the tiny desktop antenna only provided signal boost when a cell phone was within a few inches.

I called WeBoost to see if our system was defective, and they confirmed what we were seeing.

They recommended we replaced the Drive X booster with a Drive Reach booster. The Reach adds 5G support plus it provide a much stronger boost than the X.

They also recommended we replace the tiny desktop antenna with their wall-mounted antenna, which I mounted using command strips to the back of the cabinet to the left of the TV cabinet in our 24D.

I then ran tests to verify we were seeing a signal boost for 4G and 5G - and that it was boosting the signal throughout most of the RV.

Last month, we went to a Texas state park that appeared to be about 14 miles from the nearest cell phone tower. Outside of the RV, our 4G/5G cell phones couldn't get any data signal - and were barely able to get enough signal to get text messages and phone calls.

But, inside the RV, we got usable signal. Our 5G hotspot was able to get a strong enough signal to give us 20Mb/s download speeds - and fast enough internet for video streaming and online gaming.

Since we weren't getting any usable signal outside, without the Weboost - we would have been offline for our entire stay at the park.

The combination of hardware we have now is offered online as a Drive Reach RV Extreme kit - which has the Reach booster and the upgraded antenna. For RV's I don't see much value in the tiny desktop antenna that only provides a boost a few inches away...

NOTE that if you are in an area with strong 4G/5G signal you may not need the WeBoost or any cell phone booster. But because when we go to county, state and national parks - with weak signal, it helps to have the WeBoost.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:20 PM   #20
Site Team

rprochnow, thanks for sharing your experience.
Closed Thread