Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 04:34 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

All
As many have said this can get complicated. Also what may seem as similar needs may differ on a number of factors.

My only suggestion is to go to https://www.rvmobileinternet.com. I am a paying member and find it worth the fee, but there are a ton of free resources. Two that you might find most helpful is the discussion of figuring out what you need (router, booster whatever). Also there are specific videos on each component (such at boosters). This resource does not have "dog in the fight" and covers the extremes from just using your device as your only tool (streaming video to email) to complicated new systems that are entering the 5g world. they are great and if you are a member you can email them and they are VERY good about helping you to accomplish what you want in the cheapest fashion.

As point of refernce. I do telemedicine on the road so I need to have reasonable access for that. We have T-Mobile phones (the "geezer plan" offers us good US and International benefits). Our Winnebago View has ATT in the internal hot spot. We also have the WeBoost Reach. We have never gotten any benefit from the WeBoost...but I keep trying it

While parts of the Western US require a bit of planning, I have had no problem using my phones or RV built-in hotspot to support my Zoom-based telemedicine appointments. I have a tech background and have looked at a more complicated system. But until 5G settles out, or my system does not fill my needs, what I have is cheap, simple, and works. BUT that is for me, my needs and travels.

It sounds like you may be more in line with what I am doing, but do yourself a favor and take a look at least at the free stuff on rvmobileinternet.com.

My only warning is my first comment. This can get complicated, so be patient with yourself

Happy Traveling and Be Safe-Be Well

Gregg
Old 06-09-2021, 11:28 PM   #22

It's always nice to get a testimonial.

Mine is this: You don't need to understand how this stuff works unless you want to push the limits of coverage.

All you need to do is:

* Buy the cheap equipment on Amazon

* Log on to Ting.com or H2O or Mint and see if your IMEI number is useable with their service, wait 3 days for the Sim Card to arrive in the mail

* Signup for service and indicate you want "bring your own phone."

* Choose your data plan.

* Verify your 4G-LTE Cell phone router works just like your router in your home.

...And you are done. Unless you find you can't get a 4G-LTE signal.

* Then you can buy a high gain antenna and see if that works.

If it doesn't, from what I am reading, it's just as unlikely a Weboost system will not work, but that's another trial and error apprach that costs $500.

Note: Streaming TV or Movies is a whole other ball game... until a true unlimited cell phone data plan is available; and it will be next year most likely.

Note: If you have dish or direct TV then you are already getting HD TV and Movies.

In conclusion: Somethings you just have to test out for yourself. This is one of those things.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
It's always nice to get a testimonial.

Mine is this: You don't need to understand how this stuff works unless you want to push the limits of coverage.

You don't need to understand how it works?

I disagree, you have to have some understanding to install it correctly, know if you actually want to buy it and what it's going to actually do for you. Maybe you don't need to know why a circuit is built a certain way, sure you don't need to know that but by basically saying "blindly buy what I think you need" how is that actually helping give good advice?
Old 06-10-2021, 08:19 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregglund View Post
All

My only suggestion is to go to https://www.rvmobileinternet.com.
Gregg, I agree that the free resources they provide are great. They also have a YouTube of the same name that I subscribe to. Great suggestion. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2021, 09:01 PM   #25

ThomB: You did not quote me accurately. So typical.

What I said was: "You don't need to understand how this stuff works unless you want to push the limits of coverage."

...You conveniently left out, "... unless you want to push the limits of coverage."

So I stand may my testimonial.

What is yours other than an feeble attempt to knock down my efforts to help a fellow RVer(s)?

Get real. You can't manipulate the words to suit your agenda. Moreover, you have offered no information about the subject.

It's like you said what you feel because what you feel is less significant. ...How else would you describe your emotional response with no substance?

As CreativePart says, we all are just expressing our opinion. Yours is duly noted. And so is mine. So now it's up to the reader to decide who's opinion helps them make buy decisions and how to use this equipment.

Oh, that's right... you left that part out! And instead you elected to criticize. So I take nothing you said as worthwhile. Moreover, I see this forum as a DIY forum. ...BUt you and comrades seem to be all about knocking down the efforts or those of us who are here to help.

I mean, what is the purpose of posting if you can't help? Maybe you should think about that the next time you post.

Further, I would bet you learned something from my posts. As opposed to your comments which contribute nothing to the subject of this thread, which if you check is about using a Weboost antenna.

MacNut and I don't see the world the same way, but at least he contribute to the subject of the thread. And I agree with is referral to check out https://www.rvmobileinternet.com. ...because they will take you into the next 5G world of telecommunications and that's not my job.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #26
Site Team

Folks we're closing this thread - there's a lot of great info here but there's also a fair amount of sniping which is uncalled for.

It's great to post helpful information (that's what a forum is for, afterall) but remember that all posts are the opinion of the poster. There is no need to disparage another's opinion or post. Make your case and post your info without getting personal, post it politely, without editorial comment and then move on. Personal jibes and digs should not be included in your posts.

Thanks for understanding.