Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Weboost install

Looking for guidance on using the wiring chase behind the TV to install a Weboost cell extender on my 2022 View%
Bbriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Team

The Weboost has both 12v and 110v power adapters available. Which are you looking to use. If the 110v I would guess the power there for the TV and associated equipment (SAT Recv etc) would also be in the inverter circuit for the View.

I have mine, using 110v, connected to one of the 110v outlets in my A/V cabinet.

EDIT:
I removed my comment about an easy install to the roof from the front cap for antennas - because I doubt if that is the case for a View Class C. Sorry.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:26 PM   #3
'21 View 24J

Hi - James has a good description of using the Winnebago roof access port on the Fit RV site:

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/tip...new-roof-port/

I dropped a cell booster cable down through the access port on our '21 View, and there was no drama. In close proximity to this port are both 120V and 12V receptacles for your booster - I mounted our cradle booster in behind the paper towel holder with no noticeable drop in performance.

Cheers,
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

great unit, works wonderfully
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a weboost RV sitting on my work bench. As soon as I get the over off the RV I will be adding this to our 2021 Navion, 24V. I plan to use the supplied roof access port as suggested in the video. Not 100% sure sure where I'm going to mount the amplifier. Id like to have it under the sink where there is plenty of open air for heat dissipation but there doesn't look to be an easy wireway from under the sink to the above the sink, behind the TV.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

A little late to the party, but to add my two cents. I looked at the Weboost kit and thought about it pretty seriously. In the end I found it much simpler to purchase a Verizon hotspot for $130 which has unlimited usage for $30/month. We went on a 7,000 mile trip last summer in the Itasca and it worked like a dream for us. All the laptops, tablets, phones had great reception with zero drops or lag all across the US from CA to the east coast.
Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizons View Post
I found it much simpler to purchase a Verizon hotspot for $130 which has unlimited usage for $30/month.
Two things:

1. You need to realize that "unlimited" usage is very limited at fast, usable speeds - usually about 15gb - and that if you surpass that limit in a month you'll still have unlimited data but at an completely unusable 600kbps (dial up internet) speeds. However, If you don't watch TV/video with it and can live within that very real limit you are probably fine. The rest of us stream TV and Video and run out of data in 1 to 2 days. We don't watch a lot of TV and use 200 to 300 gigabytes in a month. So, a plan like yours would be of no use to us or others that stream TV via their Verizon Jetpack or similar MiFi.

2. If the places you travel to don't have any problems picking up fast internet then you certainly have no need of a Weboost or any other booster. The cell booster is for folks that travel to places where they have real problems receiving a signal. Those folks usually have a compelling need to stay connected via high speed data. For them, a cellular booster can make all the difference.

But, that said, it's great that this works for you and your travel plans.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

When RVing in the boonies, I find that the WeBoost makes my ATT 4G hotspot work much better, makes the difference between being able to stream TV or not. I have had several occasions where people with Verizon 4G had to come in and sit near my WeBoost to make their phones or hotspots usable in very remote places.

In remote places, T-Mobile has switched to a 5G low band signal that is not compatible with WeBoost RV so it gives almost no benefit to those on T-Moble.

I have the WeBoost RV system. I chose to connect it to 12VDC as I use my devices with inverter off at times when dry camping without shore power. I did put an on/off toggle switch in the 12 volt wire leading up to the WeBoost indoor box so I could switch off to save DC during idle hours and or when signal strength was strong and I did not need any boost.

One final thing, you need to separate the indoor antenna and the outdoor antenna as much as is physically possible, ideally 20' or more if possible. It says this in their installation instructions, too.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Two things:

1. You need to realize that "unlimited" usage is very limited at fast, usable speeds - usually about 15gb - and that if you surpass that limit in a month you'll still have unlimited data but at an completely unusable 600kbps (dial up internet) speeds. However, If you don't watch TV/video with it and can live within that very real limit you are probably fine. The rest of us stream TV and Video and run out of data in 1 to 2 days. We don't watch a lot of TV and use 200 to 300 gigabytes in a month. So, a plan like yours would be of no use to us or others that stream TV via their Verizon Jetpack or similar MiFi.

2. If the places you travel to don't have any problems picking up fast internet then you certainly have no need of a Weboost or any other booster. The cell booster is for folks that travel to places where they have real problems receiving a signal. Those folks usually have a compelling need to stay connected via high speed data. For them, a cellular booster can make all the difference.

But, that said, it's great that this works for you and your travel plans.
I'm not sure you've ever actually used the hotspot or plan I'm referring to, but as I mentioned it was in fact,'unlimited', there was no speed decrease associated with a usage limit.
Nice attack response though...
Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizons View Post
I'm not sure you've ever actually used the hotspot or plan I'm referring to, but as I mentioned it was in fact,'unlimited', there was no speed decrease associated with a usage limit.
Nice attack response though...
No attack intended. Honestly. Please detail the $30 Verizon truly unlimited high speed data plan. I can find no such plan on the Verizon website and this would be a significant and fantastic discovery.

Honest, I’m not at all attacking you or your comments. I feel I am pretty well up to speed on what cellular data plan options exist and know of no current plans anything like this, especially from Verizon.

On RV forums I do commonly see folks that don’t require much in the way of high speed data plans that are unaware of the limitations of their data plan. They believe that it’s truly unlimited and can provide hundreds of gigs of high speed data per month. When it can’t. They just are not aware of the limitation because of their use patterns.

I think you’ll find thousands of threads at RV forums and mobile Internet forums discussing the lack of plans such as you describe. So, my request is genuine and not in any way snarky or attacking. If such a plan can be purchased it would be game changing.

PS. I've used Verizon Jetpack hotspots for 13 years and currently am using their fastest and most expensive 4g LTE hotspot. It's my 4th in those 13 years so, I'm pretty well aware of what hotspots they offer.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

We initially had a WeBoost Drive X RV installed in our 21D.

It did very little to improve performance - and only when devices were within an inch or two of the tiny desktop antenna.

After consulting with WeBoost, we replaced the booster with the newer Reach booster - which provides much more boost.

And we replaced the tiny desktop antenna with their wall-mounted antenna (mounted on the back wall of the cabinet left of our TV.

And with the combination of the Reach booster and the upgraded antenna, we've had more success in getting signals for our LTE/5G hotspot and LTE/5G smartphones inside the RV, including one stay at a state park where we couldn't get any cell phone signal outside - and had internet inside the RV fast enough for streaming HD video.

Though if there really isn't any signal outside, WeBoost won't help. Last summer we stayed a week at Yellowstone - which has extremely limited and very poor cell phone coverage. The WeBoost couldn't help us - and we ended up driving over to a nearby retail center with WiFi and using that once a day to check e-mails.

We're going on a road trip soon to a location that proudly advertises they don't get any cell phone coverage as an advantage for staying at their park - hoping our WeBoost will be able to provide us something during the week we'll be there...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Bingo did the same thing with Verizon and I can not agree with it's the way to go. Once you run out of their "unlimited" its very slooooow !!!
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install