Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
Site Team

WBGO buys Newmar!

This just in.

https://winnebago.gcs-web.com/news-r...acturer-newmar

Now we know why Winnebago changed course and shuttered the Junction City production plant.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I think you are going to see a number of changes in the product line, product mix, and how Forest City is utilized as well. Everyone forgets the WBGO is more than just Forest City - it is a billion dollar plus recreational manufacturer.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
Site Team

I read about this in a few places. Reactions seem positive for current Winnebago owners and apprehensive for Newmar Owners. I agree with CreativePart at this explains a lot of actions taken by Winnebago and I’m glad to see them focusing on Class A’s, after purchasing Grand Design and the CrisCraft.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hopefully it will be good for both Winnebago and Newmar and, most of all, their customers.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Winne Horizon vs Newmar

Went to an RV "show" yesterday put on by Guaranty RV from Junction City (Oregon). OMG! They had brought maybe seventy units down. Two hundred miles! Painful to imagineClick image for larger version

Name:	M39030-2019-Winnebago-Horizon-20190226.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	172224 what it costs just to bring all those down.

They had lots of Newmars. In one spot they had three side-by-side, very similar, all three were NEW, but on was 2018, one was 2019, and one was 2020. The 2020 could make you high just by going into it. Glue fumes were over-powering.

They had a 2019 Winnebago Horizon. MSFP of $490,700 and a show price of $343k. That seems like a huge price cut on a brand new Horizon. Over $147k discount!
calendarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I hope they improve the quality of Newmar. I have a friend who paid 400 large last year on a brand new one and has had nothing but trouble. Electrical - lights that work today but not tomorrow - shower that suddenly leaks - water hose under the slide that kinks and leaks - a thermostat that failed 'on'. Based on his experience and Newmar's customer service I would never buy a Newmar. Ever! I wouldn't accept it if he gave it to me. YMMV.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
This just in.

https://winnebago.gcs-web.com/news-r...acturer-newmar

Now we know why Winnebago changed course and shuttered the Junction City production plant.
I hope it works out and quality doesn’t suffer. I heard when they bought Country Coach there was a lot of problems.
I hope they start building more of a selection of Class A’s. I always liked the Journey and now they aren’t making it anymore. The Horizon feels a little cold as it is ultra modern.
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Winnebago Industries Inc. Buys Newmar Corp !!!

Howdy Y'all. I guess I'm late to the party but...but did y'all know Winnebago
bought RV maker Newmar for $344M on 9-16-2019.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
Site Team

Yes, we all knew. And Yes you're late to the party. Lots of discussion here, on YouTube, on IRV2.com and various Newmar forums.

I'll move your post into the existing thread from back in Sept.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:29 AM   #10
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Yes, we all knew. And Yes you're late to the party. Lots of discussion here, on YouTube, on IRV2.com and various Newmar forums.

I'll move your post into the existing thread from back in Sept.
Oooops so sorry.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:43 AM   #11
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
I hope it works out and quality doesn’t suffer. I heard when they bought Country Coach there was a lot of problems.
I hope they start building more of a selection of Class A’s. I always liked the Journey and now they aren’t making it anymore. The Horizon feels a little cold as it is ultra modern.
well these kind of things don't just happen overnight. Sad that Newmar had to sell. But if they sold at $344M that tells me that they were at their last straw. Well Now I know why the Gran Tour/Tour and Ellipse lines were discontinued. They had something up their sleeve, and didn't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. lol.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #12
Site Team

Rumors are that WBGO will debut all new DP models this next fall/winter RV show times.

Keep in mind, they bought Country Coach in Oregon and decided to move ALL DP (except the cheapest Forza) to Oregon. They made a few Tour's out there and then ramped up for the new Horizon build. During that process they said they anticipated making other DPs in Oregon, too.

But, according to reports, they had difficulties with finding enough workers and found the logistics to be a huge problem.

So, they made the decision to move DP production back to Iowa. It's been reported that the whole Oregon thing was a $50million mistake.

Imagine the difficulty of staffing up and creating space to bring DP production back to the little town of Forest City. YIKES.

They announced that they would take at least a year to get back up and running with new products. So anticipation is that it will take place during end of 2020 RV reveals.

I know selling a biz take a lot of time, I've done it twice. But both Newmar and WBGO say this was a very quick not long planned out deal. In fact, it even closed a couple of months ahead of schedule.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Yes, I’m looking forward to the announcements. Hopefully, they will also announce a high-end gas coach too!
Old 02-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #14
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Yes, I’m looking forward to the announcements. Hopefully, they will also announce a high-end gas coach too!
You don't like the Baystar or Canyon star? Those are pretty nice rigs.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Rumors are that WBGO will debut all new DP models this next fall/winter RV show times.
From my neutral point of view this was a real good deal. Regarding that Winnebago sized down their Class A coaches (e.g. the new Adventurer which is a simple rebranding of the former "low-end" Vista LX; they use the same 29ft floorplan for the Intent, Vista and Adventurer) the acquisition of Newmar brings back the high-end vehicles to the Winnebago Group.

Personally I hope that the Forza 34T layout will survive that, for me this is one of the best floorplans in the industry. With 35ft (ok, 9"too long) it still fits in the State Parks, it offers a 80" bed (and not 75"... important for families where the shortest is 5'11"tall) and it's a mid-entry diesel coach with a panoramic view for the passenger too. A 26000lbs dp-chassis for people without a cdl. Compairing to "my other favorite" Newmar New Aire (33ft) the 2020 Forza shows a very modern, spacious, bright scandinavian interior design which is unique. I like that very much.
Ok, looking to the slide systems (flat floor!), all the amenities like the electric window-awnings, dishwasher, etc. the New Aire is really a Rolls Royce. Perhaps they build it in a mid-entry layout with a 80" bed and a white, clean modern interior...
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
You don't like the Baystar or Canyon star? Those are pretty nice rigs.
I do love the Newmar Baystar and Canyon Star. Good quality gas coaches! However, since Winnebago is running Newmar as a subsidiary, I think they will maintain a Winnebago branded gas coach, as well. I am hoping they announce a high end gas coach under the Winnebago brand.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_calva View Post
Personally I hope that the Forza 34T layout will survive that, for me this is one of the best floorplans in the industry.
I like the Forza and hope they take it up market just a bit more.

I know they've redesigned the interiors this year and that's a big step in the right direction. For me, I'd hate to spend that much on a DP and not at least have fully-ducted Air Conditioning and solid wood cabinet frames throughout. Though I guess all the lower cost DPs on the market share the same build details as the Forza. But none of them have the really nice new interiors.

After having a 37' motorhome with a bath and a half, washer/dryer and king bed I think we'd have a hard time adapting to a 35' without all of those things.

When we first started looking my wife was all, "I don't need a 1/2 bath or a W/D." Now, it would be the first must have on her list.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #18
RVCalypso

I read somewhere that Newmar had some proprietary patents that Winnebago wanted. I have also heard that the family that ran Newmar wanted to retire and felt confident that Winnebago was a good succession plan. Hopefully it will be a positive for both companies. Newmar did announce a layoff of 10% of their workforce this week.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #19
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_calva View Post
From my neutral point of view this was a real good deal. Regarding that Winnebago sized down their Class A coaches (e.g. the new Adventurer which is a simple rebranding of the former "low-end" Vista LX; they use the same 29ft floorplan for the Intent, Vista and Adventurer) the acquisition of Newmar brings back the high-end vehicles to the Winnebago Group.

Personally I hope that the Forza 34T layout will survive that, for me this is one of the best floorplans in the industry. With 35ft (ok, 9"too long) it still fits in the State Parks, it offers a 80" bed (and not 75"... important for families where the shortest is 5'11"tall) and it's a mid-entry diesel coach with a panoramic view for the passenger too. A 26000lbs dp-chassis for people without a cdl. Compairing to "my other favorite" Newmar New Aire (33ft) the 2020 Forza shows a very modern, spacious, bright scandinavian interior design which is unique. I like that very much.
Ok, looking to the slide systems (flat floor!), all the amenities like the electric window-awnings, dishwasher, etc. the New Aire is really a Rolls Royce. Perhaps they build it in a mid-entry layout with a 80" bed and a white, clean modern interior...
The New Air was suppose to appeal to the well to do Millennials who wanted a Luxury coach but under 36 ft. So Newmar made a 34 ft Luxury coach. More and more millennials are getting into RV'ing now, so they had their say.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #20
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
I read somewhere that Newmar had some proprietary patents that Winnebago wanted. I have also heard that the family that ran Newmar wanted to retire and felt confident that Winnebago was a good succession plan. Hopefully it will be a positive for both companies. Newmar did announce a layoff of 10% of their workforce this week.
No doubt. I still maintain that Winnebago got Newmar at a Steal. I mean for 344M, I would've taken out a loan myself and bought out Newmar. LOL. Keeping it simple, 344M that's like 344 King Airs, While still having Essex's and London aires in the inventory. As i said earlier, their inventory is probably worth more than what they sold their Co. for.

Tags
newmar