Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
Site Team

WBGO bought another Boat Company

Winnebago bought another boat company - Barletta Pontoon boats: https://www.barlettapontoonboats.com/

I don't understand the boat / RV synergy. But OK if it's profitable.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are a lot of similarities between cruising boats and RVs but some obvious differences. I suspect any good cruising boat builder could build a good RV. I don't think the opposite is true. For example I hope Thor never gets into building boats. I sure wouldn't buy one.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:40 PM   #3
Site Team

The problem I see with this kind of business purchase is that they are both totally reliant on good economic times - and when the economy is down they'll both be effected by the downturn.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Floating party barges were never my thing (and still aren't) but my brother-in-law had a tri-toon like this with a 454 engine in it. That thing got up and got gone the one time we were out with them on Lake Cumberland in KY. We were passing speedboats while loaded with 12 people, tubes, etc. I almost shared the link with him as they recently talked about getting back to the pontoon vs the v-hull he has currently.

As for the business of it all, eh, I don't see where they compliment each other in a portfolio but what do I know.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Makes sense if Winnebago wants to get into the houseboat business. Build an RV on a pontoon instead of a Ford chassis.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

GROW, or die.

That is pretty much the global edict for publically traded companies. They already own some other boat companies. I rented a house boat once in Lake Shasta. It wasn't much more than a travel trailer sitting on pontoons.

The RV industry is consolidating and will soon have only a couple dominant players. I hope at that point they will have reached a size that they can transition the business to robotics and other precision manufacturing methods that would greatly improve quality and reliability. As far as I can tell no one has emerged as the "Toyota of RVs".
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

A boat is a recreational vehicle using a different road.
Lemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Winnebago bought another boat company - Barletta Pontoon boats: https://www.barlettapontoonboats.com/

I don't understand the boat / RV synergy. But OK if it's profitable.
Hmm. Perhaps they'll produce a hybrid. Drive to the lake, deploy pontoons and continue on.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Good lord. If Winnebago follows some of their RV construction techniques into the marine industry (like applying caulk with a cannon and wiring techniques from the 60's), they won't last a year. Wait...it's Party Barges. Those aren't boats!
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
Makes sense if Winnebago wants to get into the houseboat business. Build an RV on a pontoon instead of a Ford chassis.
That's a good one! For sure!🤣🤣
GTobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Business is business,
It doesn't take all that much research to find out, who own's what in our economy. There are many, many parent companies that either have holdings or outright own, multiple companies, LLC's and more. The business managers, CPA's, financial attorneys etc, of companies like Winnebago, will take a look at the entire package (past, present and potential performance) of a company that 's either up for sale or, is in maybe a bit of dire straights and surmise whether or not, it would be lucrative to take over or purchase such a company.

It makes almost no matter WHAT kind of company is being bought, in relation to the company making the purchase, as long as the potential for earnings is there. A business that's a form of relation would be better. Such as, if Winnebago wanted to buy Freightliner, that would be ultra beneficial to Winnebago. If owning one or a few smaller well producing business's helps keep a parent one afloat during slower times, then that's what it's all about.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:47 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

How is this for a possible reason? https://www.rvtravel.com/boaterhome-...top=subscriber
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote