Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

waxing full body paint

my coach has never been waxed and still looks great. just wash it with a long handle soft brush and that's it. i been wondering lately if i should wax it. i've heard pros and cons about waxing a full body paint. any comments on this subject?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I just did mine last month. I don't see how it can hurt anything other than my feet from standing on a ladder for about 12-14 hours and another 12-14 hours on the driveway.

Mine sure looked good before and better now.

'05 Meridian with full body paint
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I just spent a lot of $$$$ having a full body paint job done on my coach....4 clear coats of Dupont's Chroma Premier over the base color. I asked the shop about waxing. They recommended periodic wax or polish to protect the finish.

I have had good luck with NuFinish polish. I use a good Porter-Cable orbital polisher to apply the polish and buff it off with microfiber cloths. It takes some time but really makes the coach shine. It gets the full polish job once in the spring.

Between polishing, I use a waterless cleaner with wax called No Wet. It goes on easy, cleans the finish and leaves a coat of wax.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Or use 303 Protectant - spray it on and wipe it off, sure is great stuff as bugs come off very easy on the front of the MH

They carry it at camping world.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I use liquid wax in the wash water a few times a year ...Turtle Wax is what I have now ...just be sure whatever you use is intended for clear coat. Apply with wash mit or soft brush, rinse with hand sprayer and let it air dry. Looks great, and not hard or terribly involved to do ...same thing I have done on clear coat cars I've owned.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

What will be good for fiberglass and decor
Old 03-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I use this Aircraft RV Boat Cleaner Waterless Wash Wax Detailing Products Supplies
No worries about falling off a ladder or spending hours wax on wax off. Just bought the Internet special and used it last week.
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My owners manual recommends periodic waxing to maintain full body paint.

When I waxed our Adventurer 10 months ago I used a product called "Liquid Glass" that I got at an auto parts store and I have washed the rig at least a half dozen times since the last waxing. I washed it again last week with the intention of waxing the rig again. When I rinsed I noticed that the water still beaded up as if the rig had been freshly waxed.

Although I applied the polish by hand and it took me 2 1/2 days to finish, I think the durability of Liquid Glass is worth the effort. Next time I might take it a bit slower and take 3 days.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I use the waterless cleaner/wax Bayes works great and I got it from the nearby Ace hardware. Waterless Car Wash - Bayes Eco-Friendly Cleaners
Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

liquid glass..is the bomb! we use once a year and rince it off 3 or 4 times year..then hand dry..but do not go thru the truck washes..they will strip the wax off!
dent squad usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I use "Blue Ice" mfg. by Turtle wax. It's a synthetic paste wax, clear coat safe. I wipe off with microfiber towels. Not near as hard as the older paste waxes. I wax my unit every 6 months. Aggreed you will have to work a little harder than the liquid polish, but well worth it. Unless you are a professional, be careful about using a electric or battery operated buffer. You could burn the finish. A good wax job makes washing the unit much easier.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I use collinite insulator wax when I am doing a semi annual ( two to three times a year ) wax. That is the best I have found over the years for the money. It is used by alot of show car owners and it holds up very nicely. For touch up and inbetween I use protect all.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

My coach just turned 4 years old and had never been waxed. I bought it with the finish coat I think was called Zicon... or something like that. An expensive dealer applied option which I'm not sure did any good or not but I've been maintaining it with the use of a waterless cleaner called The Solution. It still looks great but a company down here was running a special wash and wax special for $199 last month and I jumped on it. I now need to figure out in The Solution strips the wax off before I use it again. I'll probably start waxing once per year.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
I use this Aircraft RV Boat Cleaner Waterless Wash Wax Detailing Products Supplies
No worries about falling off a ladder or spending hours wax on wax off. Just bought the Internet special and used it last week.
Ron
Since you're a fellow Army Retiree, I'm going to take your suggestion amd give it a shot. I'm tired of standing on a ladder to use Dri-Wash
Bruce
Old 03-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk

Since you're a fellow Army Retiree, I'm going to take your suggestion amd give it a shot. I'm tired of standing on a ladder to use Dri-Wash
Bruce
Thank you for your service! Make sure to call not just online order, you'll get a 10% military discount.

The setup takes some getting used to as you use one side of the mop to wash and the other side to dry. Then when wash side is dirty, change to new microfiber and switch dry side pad to wash side and put on new dry pad. trick is to make sure your not too wet or too dry. But if you ever sat on a Tarmac waiting to taxi out you've seen the product in use. I'm ordering more degreaser because it really takes the bugs and grease off.

Let me know what you think of it, I'm considering a becoming a dealer for it and want RVer opinions not just my own.
Thanks
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I use a Porter Cable orbital polisher also with Lake Country pads. My polish is 3M RV and Marine cleaner wax.

You will want to wax your rig to remove impurities that form in the small pockets of the fiberglass or gel coat. Wax also protects from UV rays. It is not fun to wax your rig, but do it in pieces over a few days or even weeks and it is not bad. And it sure looks great afterwards.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote