Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspect27Guy View Post
I was able to find a $2 rubber tapered plug at a hardware store. I had to slice it down so that it does not stick out so I can close the small door. From some of the comments, I am noting the plug solution should only be a "while traveling" fix and I need to unplug it for venting to use water when parked. Is this correct?

That is the gravity feed and there should already be a seal on the back of the door for that. If water is coming out through the gravity feed then the tank vent/overflow tube that exits underneath the coach is not working correctly.

Makes one wonder if they are doing something differently on the newer coaches since this was never been a problem on my 95 Vectra or my current coach a 2001 Adventurer.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Video of water leakage

Here's a link to a show video showing how I am losing water from my overflow port. This is with 2/3 of a tank of fresh water. This is without the plug that I customized. I can't imagine this is normal. Anyone else have this issue?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/raeus6brtc...0loss.mov?dl=0
Aspect27Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Looking back at the drawings, it seems like a natural move would have been to install some form of flap as a "check valve inside the gravity fill tube. Something that would open to let water past while filling but close semi tight and get tighter when water from the tank hit it.
A full blown check vale in that line would have been more secure but that's hard to work in on a gravity fill as it would have to have such a low cracking pressure for the gravity water to open it.
That thought brings another idea to mull over. Do you need to maintain it as a gravity fill so that it can be filled from a hose without a fitting at the end? Would it be practical to look at adding a standard fill port fitting which has a check valve to a plug placed permanently in the gravity fill hose?
Something like this that has a check valve to avoid water coming out but allow pressure water to pass going in:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Wa...etails=.photos
Would require removing the flange to fit the space. Or do you already have a fill port of this sort so that the gravity fill could just be sealed?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I primarily use the overflow/gravity fill port for dumping in fresh water from extra 6 gallon water jugs once I am in a camp situation and run low on water (partly because I lose so much water on the trip) as I mostly boondock. So yes, I could keep it plugged better and only remove the plug when I use the overflow to add water, BUT some have suggested in this thread that doing that could be a problem for the water pump if the overflow port also serves as the vent/overflow tube. I have it in storage, so I can't look now, but I believe it should have a separate vent/overflow hose under the chassis (coming out the top of the fresh water tank).

If that is true, I should be able to put a plug in the gravity fill to keep water from spilling out while traveling. That's going to be my solution unless folks here are pretty certain that's a bad idea for the pump or the holding tank. Seems logical to me, but I am not an expert in these things and I am asking for confirmation or correction on this solution.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Took a long fresh look at the question and now see some things of interest. Looking at your photos, I see what the difference in your model and others as you have the 27D with a vent near the gravity fill. Neither of the other models of the 2015 Aspect 27 foot have this vent shown on the drawings.
I've marked the vent on your photo with purple and then as info, I marked the overflow on the parts drawing with a dashed yellow line.
If I am correct on which model you have, the overflow should be coming off the tank top near the far side and wind up dropping down through the floor below the coach as an open tube alongside the drain tube for winterizing.
Maybe you can verify this by overfilling the tank to see water come out in that location when overflowing?
Apparently they felt on the early model that there was a need for an air vent at the fill port, which they stopped using later in the year??? The later models only have the overflow with no air vent. The green arrows are to show the tubing loop we mentioned earlier but it is the suction tube for adding antifreeze from a jug and likely you can spot that in the bay with the pump.

I might go this way. I would verify that there is a tube for overflow by getting water to come out of it, then if so, remove the screws to loosen the fill area if the vent can't be pulled out the front and put a stopper into the 3/8 inch tube behind the vent. A small bolt (3/8?) might do for a stopper if you don't mind a little induced rattle??? But if I found it did have some problem with not letting air in, the bolt is somewhat easy to remove.
If it still lets water out when cornering, the fill is the problem. But you do appear to have other places for air to get in and avoid crushing or pump questions.

Any signs there might have been some form of rubber or sponge glued to the round white circle on your door and meant to press against the outlet? Seems like they made that circle for "some" reason???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	174147   Click image for larger version

Name:	overflow.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	174148  

Click image for larger version

Name:	suction.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	174149  
Old 07-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Here's a link to a show video showing how I am losing water from my overflow port. This is with 2/3 of a tank of fresh water. This is without the plug that I customized. I can't imagine this is normal. Anyone else have this issue?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/raeus6brtc...0loss.mov?dl=0

That is not normal and the seal disk is supposed to contact the fill port and prevent this. The fill port is not a vent. The latch should keep the disk pressed against the port to prevent that. On the 2001 Adventurer the disk is semi floating as I recall (I really have not looked at it that closely since in over a decade of ownership it has not been a problem). Is it possible that someone accidentally removed the sealing disk or bent the lock arm to make it easier to close the door? On mine you need to press the door to compress the seal before you can easily latch it.

The Adventurer being a Class A coach has the fill up front next to the entry door with the tank mounted a lot lower than on your Class C. The tank vent is not integrated with the fill and is a totally separate set of plumbing. Under the tank coming out of the bottom of the coach is a overflow tube/vent along with a seperate tank drain tube. The large fresh water tank drain valve is inside the basement compartment located just rearward of the main entry door.

What is shown in the video should have been put in as a warranty claim and fixed by Winnebago at the selling dealer.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I think I'll try adding a circular layer of foam rubber on top of the flap seal to see if that helps keep the water in.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:57 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

On my Vista 27N the fill port / door is well above the water tank so that's not an issue for me. However the vent/overflow port is in the forward driver's side corner and when driving on roads with up/down grades and curves I would generally not be able to fill the tank more than 2/3 full without losing water.

I solved it by poking a small hole in the end of a small balloon with an ice pick and then putting the neck of the baloon over the end of the overflow tube. It still admits air and a small amount of water can trickle out thru the small hole but it eliminates most of the water loss and it's a one and done fix (at least until the balloon wears and I have to put on another one every so often.

If I accidentally over fill the tank the baloon pops off and I don't risk bursting the tank.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:25 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Hadn’t thought of a balloon, but I like it. Will try that too. Thanks!!
Old 07-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hadn’t thought of a balloon, but I like it. Will try that too. Thanks!!

What did Winnebago Customer Support have to say about this? I was on the phone with Lichtsinn RV the other day and mentioned this and they said the round white gasket in the door has either fallen off or the latch is bent so that its not closing tightly. Some people peal it off thinking its just packaging. The door when latched should be fairly firm without rattling. Without the gasket seating correctly all sorts of road dirt can get into the fresh water tank through that fill port too.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Yes, the gasket is there but I believe the door is perhaps a little bowed out so I am doing two things. I am slipping a balloon around the opening, and I am adding a circular piece of rubber mat on top of the white flap so that it will press against the opening properly. Thanks for checking into this on your phone call. This forum is so helpful.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a door replacement might be one way to get the disk back in place but there are other things that might be good as a DIY solution. Any type of firm spong seems like it would stop the overflow.
There should be no concern about the tank venting as there are both the vent next to the gravity as well as the overflow line in the back top corner or the tank.
Stoppering the gravity fill line is the main point but how to do that is still open.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

RESOLUTION: Taking the collective advice from the group, this is the solution I landed on. 1.) Used Rubber Cement to adhere an extra layer of flap (garage drawer liner from Harbor Freight) and 2.) a balloon or plastic baggie over the overflow opening with an elastic around the collar to hold it on.

Last two trips I observed no water spilling out and water tank level when I arrived still showed FULL. So thanks to Y'ALL, we NAILED IT! I learned a lot in the process, and I hope this thread helps others as well.

Photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxqhe64nsb...0fix.jpeg?dl=0

Tags
water