Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water Heater not working on gas

Gas element is not igniting. When I turn on the switch inside the light comes on, but it is not lighting. I normally can hear it attempting to light, but nothing seems to be happening. FYI, the "Pilot Light Out" light is not lit. I am sure this an electrical issue, just don't know where to start looking.

I am however able to heat the water with the electric element.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
Gas element is not igniting. When I turn on the switch inside the light comes on, but it is not lighting. I normally can hear it attempting to light, but nothing seems to be happening. FYI, the "Pilot Light Out" light is not lit. I am sure this an electrical issue, just don't know where to start looking.

If this problem presents itself shortly after you arrival, it MAY be due to the water already being hot enough from the WBGO "motoraid" feature that isn't allowing the T-stat to call for the gas to be used.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

There are a number of DIY You Tube video's on fixing RV Water heaters. Suggest you check them out.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

When I last went to leave MI. the Atwood did not wish to light on gas either.. Turned out to be the control board.. I forget if the fault light came on or not.. All I know is Propane did not work.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Had the same issue

Had the same issue and it turned out to be the control board. I bought a dinosaur brand replacement and swapped it out in about 5 minutes. Works perfectly once again.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

GaDawgFan, check the thermal cut-out fuse.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Could be corrosion or rusty electrical connections on the thermostats or it could be bad thermostats. I would start by checking the thermostat connections.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post

Try pulling the connectors off the control board and cleaning them. Have heard this might work. If not, may be a control board.
Rich
Old 02-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

try tugging lightly on the wire going to the ignite, if it pulls out this could be your problem. I seen this before, it prevented the gas to light and just shut down with no action. If it's making a little connection it may light but go out after a few seconds.
RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Immediately after the water heater switch is turned on you should hear the gas valve open and then you should hear a ticking sound from the igniter. That ticking sound is the spark.

Last fall my water heater control board went into "lock-out" mode because of a bad thermostat and would not open the gas valve or generate spark. I have also seen this symptom from corrosion on the electrical connectors ant the thermostats.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

How long since the last annual servicing? Rust, dirt, spiders, etc can cause your problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heater, water, water heater