Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2006, 04:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Anyone have a fix for the Norcold frig not working on propane above 5500 ft. We live in Denver so I can barely get out of my driveway before it shuts off. There must be some fix for this. Our old one had no problem. Also, does propane get stale like gas?
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Anyone have a fix for the Norcold frig not working on propane above 5500 ft. We live in Denver so I can barely get out of my driveway before it shuts off. There must be some fix for this. Our old one had no problem. Also, does propane get stale like gas?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:31 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagger97:
Anyone have a fix for the Norcold frig not working on propane above 5500 ft. We live in Denver so I can barely get out of my driveway before it shuts off. There must be some fix for this. Our old one had no problem. Also, does propane get stale like gas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The answer to both your questions is no...We live at 8,600 feet elevation and commonly go above 12,000 feet with no problems with our propane fridge...You might need your flame adjusted....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check the thermo coupler. They are available at any RV store and easily replaced. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ours works fine at higher altitudes and propane doesn't cause varnish problems like gasoline when it sits around for long periods of time.

I would take a look at the thermocouple tip and make sure the flame hits it squarely. If air movement when you drive moves the flame too much the thermocouple might not stay hot enough to keep the valve open and the heater lit.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:17 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hmmmm,

The book for my Norcold says it may not work properly above 5,000 or 5,500 feet, I'm not sure which.

Mine too has done well at elevation, but the experience of Norcold must have some merit to it or they wouldn't put it in their book.

I think I'd try adjusting the flame as suggested.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The main problem is it won't even light at higher altitudes. This can't be a thermocoupler or wind issue.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone have a fix for the Norcold frig not working on propane above 5500 ft. We live in Denver so I can barely get out of my driveway before it shuts off. There must be some fix for this. Our old one had no problem. Also, does propane get stale like gas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if it shuts off when you are barely out your drive way, it must light. or you mis posted. If it doesn't light at all you have other problems as you stated. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote