Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2022, 04:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Was working, AC

Just got home from a 3 day trip and used both ac units. Oh yes, 2017 winnebago vista 35lx.. Ok, plugged it in to shore power ,30 amp and yes only using 1 AC unit due to not having 50 amps at home. So went to turn on back ac unit and nothing! So I thought ill just unplug shore power and fire up genie so ill have 50 amps, still nothing, checked breakers, fuses which means reset buttons on this RV. Ok where do I begin? Without going to 200.00 per hour shop, im thinking capacitor. Also I did notice on trip same unit took its time coming on! Thanks small update it can hear some clicks coming from roof unit, then it came on, turned it off then nothing again. Dang!
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Did you physically turn the breakers off then back on?? Sometimes they look like they are on when they have in fact tripped. Do you hear any hum from it?? Does fan only mode work??
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Aren't the "reset" buttons all 12vdc appliances? You have home style 110v circuit breakers somewhere. On my Adventurer they are under the bed and mounted on the forward lower bed trim. On you 2017 Winnebago Vista 35LX it could be under your fridge, if that's where your Converter resides.

Don't be too quick to diagnose "capacitors." I think the Fan would start on the A/C even with failed run/start capacitors.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You should look in the load center for the right breaker and find there are two 50 amp with a 20 amp on left end and a 20 amp as the 4th from left. That 4th from left 20 amp breaker is the correct one for the rear AC.

But if not finding power on that breaker, it can also be a problem with getting through the transfer switch, so a check there may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear air.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	183268  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yes there are normal breakers The breaker for ac were fine. Now the fuse area are a bunch of bottoms that you push to reset, but none were labeled as.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

No fan, at times sound of clicking from roof unit when moving wall thermostat button, no humming. It did come on once then we moved thermostat to auto and again nothing.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

No fan, just clicking from roof unit.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We play with it a bit and the dang thing came on and worked like it has no issue, then we moved theremostat to auto and it quit, but we heard clicks from roof unit but its did not come back on.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Air conc. compressors should not be turned off and then back on again before giving it time to release the high pressure before trying to start.

Page 4-17 of owners manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	183269  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Actually I turned rear unit on and went into house for well over 20 minutes and still nothing, then wife went our with me. We moved thermostat around, heard clicking from roof unit then it came on like nothing was wrong, we moved thermostat to auto and unit stopped v and never restarted. Do I feel its getting power from thermostat and issue is on roof. I also have a known good theremostat that I tried which made on difference.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

could be the wiring between the stat and the ac unit
Old 06-20-2022, 08:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ill get in roof on Tuesday and looks around, meaning connections ect, but I do feel issue is up on top. Thanks everyone...
Old 06-26-2022, 06:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Could mean the startup cap is going or gone. If you hear a buzz it's the cap usually because it's not getting enough extra power from the startup cap.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Not sure what a starter cap is, never heard of that or seen it or read about it. But I called my RV repair shop and before I could finish my story he said replace both capacitors. There was now buzzing just clicks from roof when I'd move thermostat to different selections. So I ordered both parts and will let all know what happens. ��
Old 06-26-2022, 06:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
Not sure what a starter cap is, never heard of that or seen it or read about it. But I called my RV repair shop and before I could finish my story he said replace both capacitors. There was now buzzing just clicks from roof when I'd move thermostat to different selections. So I ordered both parts and will let all know what happens. ��
Yup the clicking without a hum is indicative of the relay turning on but not enough current to turn the motor... same as clicking followed by a hum means it still don't have enough current to kick them over its needs the boost from the startup Cap. If your replacing the cap yourself be careful could still have some current in it. Also if its bulging or leaking it's definitely the cap. Although there could be other issues. I've replaced a few over the years on my NE and now Florida homes.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info, I did see how to discharge the capacitor s online by shorting across connectors, second one should show up today then ill slapnthem on.