Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Wanted to pop in and Say Hi.

We're going to retire in the next 3 years and are planning on going fulltime in a coach. So far all we've ever had are TT's and 5'ers.

After doing a little research we've kind of narrowed down our choice to either the 40 or 42 cd or a Tiffen Phaeton or Allegro Bus.

My wife wants the Phaeton for price and I really liked the Ellipse 40cd we saw. She liked it to.

I leaning towards the Tour/Ellipse more for the larger engine than the Phaeton and slightly lower price tag than the Bus.

Anyways as far as MH's go we're absolute newbies that will more than likely have a bunch of dumb questions.

Thanks Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Trap,
You are looking at some good motor homes. I know some people that are very pleased with their Tiffen motor homes. They have said you need to live near the factory to get the best service. It has been my experience you get the most for your money buying a Winnebago/Itasca product. Welcome to the forum.com and don't be afraid to ask any and all questions. We all enjoy helping one another and remember what it is like starting out with a new motor home. We know you will love the experience. We look forward to your questions.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You are looking at nice units. Before you jump in with both feet and blind folded, I'd suggest you rent something in the size range for a few days and try it before yo drop the big $$$$.

Ken
Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You are looking at nice units. Before you jump in with both feet and blind folded, I'd suggest you rent something in the size range for a few days and try it before yo drop the big $$$$.

Ken

Thanks for the hint Ken as far as size goes we currently have a 37' 5'er so the size part isn't all that much of a concern, we just think it would be nicer to travel in a coach than the 5'er.

Trap
Old 09-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Trap,
You are looking at some good motor homes. I know some people that are very pleased with their Tiffen motor homes. They have said you need to live near the factory to get the best service. It has been my experience you get the most for your money buying a Winnebago/Itasca product. Welcome to the forum.com and don't be afraid to ask any and all questions. We all enjoy helping one another and remember what it is like starting out with a new motor home. We know you will love the experience. We look forward to your questions.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Trap
Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Welcome aboard! As others have said, you are looking at two good coaches. We have had 6 motorhomes and have decided that the best buy on the market is a Winnebago. Have not owned a Tiffin product but, hear a lot of good things about them. Good luck with whatever you purchase and have many happy years of travels.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the warm welcome John and Marion

Trap
Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Trap,
One year ago we put or 37 ft Cameo on the market and bought a Tiffin Allegro Bus and have no regrets .... We love the bus is was gently used and we have had no problems and love the motorhome difference....easier to set up, I can get up and wonder while we are on the road....I love it...Its a great life!!!
Welcome to IRV 2 great folks and lots of good information here....
Enjoy and Smiles Penny
texaspenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hi Traps90:

Welcome aboard. I currently own a Itasca Meridan 04 that I purchased this year in March. I am very pleased with the unit and have had my share maintenance items.

My wife and I have spent alot of time at the Louisville Rally, and the most recent Harrisburg Hershey Rally comparing the Ellipse CD my favorite, to the Allegro Phaeton and Bus. The Phaeton is cheaper than the Ellipse, but the Bus is more expensive. I do believe the Ellipse is more in the Bus class than the Phaeton.

I hear GREAT things about Tiffin, but again service is an issue, to far away from Red Bay. And yes I know Tiffin will pay any service center to do warranty work on your coach. But it's not like a factory trained Tech. is going to do your repairs if they are not a Tiffin dealer.

My own personal choice is still the Ellipse CD. But I won't be ready to move on a new one until a couple more years. I have mutiple Winnie dealers in my area.

Good Luck... You really can't go wrong with either choice.

Regards.. Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspenny View Post
Hi Trap,
One year ago we put or 37 ft Cameo on the market and bought a Tiffin Allegro Bus and have no regrets .... We love the bus is was gently used and we have had no problems and love the motorhome difference....easier to set up, I can get up and wonder while we are on the road....I love it...Its a great life!!!
Welcome to IRV 2 great folks and lots of good information here....
Enjoy and Smiles Penny
Thanks Penny you sound like us only a few years earlier at it.

Trap
Old 09-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Hi Traps90:

Welcome aboard. I currently own a Itasca Meridan 04 that I purchased this year in March. I am very pleased with the unit and have had my share maintenance items.

My wife and I have spent alot of time at the Louisville Rally, and the most recent Harrisburg Hershey Rally comparing the Ellipse CD my favorite, to the Allegro Phaeton and Bus. The Phaeton is cheaper than the Ellipse, but the Bus is more expensive. I do believe the Ellipse is more in the Bus class than the Phaeton.

I hear GREAT things about Tiffin, but again service is an issue, to far away from Red Bay. And yes I know Tiffin will pay any service center to do warranty work on your coach. But it's not like a factory trained Tech. is going to do your repairs if they are not a Tiffin dealer.

My own personal choice is still the Ellipse CD. But I won't be ready to move on a new one until a couple more years. I have mutiple Winnie dealers in my area.

Good Luck... You really can't go wrong with either choice.

Regards.. Jim P.
Your pretty much echoing my thoughts on all of this. I really liked what I saw on the ellipse. The phaeton was nice, but the ellipse just had those little extras to make you know it was a step up. We haven't had a chance to see an Allegro Bus Yet, although that's starting to almost go to far up the chain.

Thanks Trap
Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi Trap:

Your welcome. Let us know what you finally decide.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Hi Trap:

Your welcome. Let us know what you finally decide.

Regards... Jim P.

Thanks Jim P I do know we want the same towed as you, can't beat a jeep wrangler for seeing the sights.

Fortunately we're a year or two from doing this cause I still have a lot to learn. These things are a little to pricy to just want to jump in without researching them.

Thanks Trap
Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Trap, we have had pop ups, travel trailers, class A, Class C, 5er and now back to a vintage travel trailer. As for long term living and travel, I prefer the 5er. The problem with a motorhome is that if you have a chassis problem, the whole house goes to the shop. With a trailer, you can get it towed to a campground and put the truck in the shop.

Having a diesel truck worked on is a lot cheaper than a diesel pusher motorhome as well.

That is what we have found out.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Trap, we have had pop ups, travel trailers, class A, Class C, 5er and now back to a vintage travel trailer. As for long term living and travel, I prefer the 5er. The problem with a motorhome is that if you have a chassis problem, the whole house goes to the shop. With a trailer, you can get it towed to a campground and put the truck in the shop.

Having a diesel truck worked on is a lot cheaper than a diesel pusher motorhome as well.

That is what we have found out.

Thanks TX you have a lot of good points their, fortunately we have a couple of years to fiqure this all out still.

Trap