Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi Everyone,

This seems like a silly problem, but as yet, I've not been able to find a simple solution. I've got an area rug on top of the carpet in my living room and it keeps walking off. It's a large rug (6 X 9) and the end of it hangs off the edge of the floor behind the driver/passenger seats (class C). In my coach, the drivers area is about 6 inches below the rest of the coach floor.

I needed a rug this large to protect the carpet from occasional dirty dog feet. I'm thinking I might be able to screw some type of sheet metal screw with a large washer through the rug on the corners. This would be on the corners where it hangs over the edge of the coach floor (behind the front seats). But, I'm not sure what's behind that vertical wall on the step-down. Any idea's would be welcome.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi Everyone,

This seems like a silly problem, but as yet, I've not been able to find a simple solution. I've got an area rug on top of the carpet in my living room and it keeps walking off. It's a large rug (6 X 9) and the end of it hangs off the edge of the floor behind the driver/passenger seats (class C). In my coach, the drivers area is about 6 inches below the rest of the coach floor.

I needed a rug this large to protect the carpet from occasional dirty dog feet. I'm thinking I might be able to screw some type of sheet metal screw with a large washer through the rug on the corners. This would be on the corners where it hangs over the edge of the coach floor (behind the front seats). But, I'm not sure what's behind that vertical wall on the step-down. Any idea's would be welcome.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

They make a backer material for this type of problem. It works reasonably well. It can be bought at Wal-Mart, Lowes or any good carpet shop. I think you will find the rug will still creep if you put screws in it. We have all had this problem with throw rugs.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The only backer material we have found that really worked well was a clear film that was sticky on both sides. The package claimed that it would not leave a residue on the floor/carpet.
Wrong!!!! After a few months use it took a lot of work to remove the residue from the tile and several cleanings to get it off the carpet.

We haven't come up with a good solution yet.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
We use rug tape. It is double sided and holds the area rug in place fairly well. You can buy it in any hardware section.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Use Snaps. Go to a West Marine and buy a snap kit. The Male snap has a wood screw built in that you can screw the snap to the floor. The female snap will go on the rug. The kit will come with a device to set the snap in the rug.

2004 Winnebago Adventure 37B
Charles99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darryl:
I've got an area rug on top of the carpet in my living room and it keeps walking off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Homer' might be referring to this: available at Walmart, Target, Camping World, etc. Works great and has lots of uses... Walmart carries two different size widths.

'All-purpose Wonderliner provides non-slip protection around your RV. Use it to line your cabinets, prevent your dishes from rattling and breaking or keep appliances from shifting during travel.'

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...kunum=17857:src=CROS
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Darryl, you have carpet there now just take a screw and see if you can screw it into the subfloor under that original rug. You may find wood or they glued the rug to metal where it drops down into the cab.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I haven't tried it on a large rug yet, but was told that if you put strips of the "loop" side of "Industrial" velcro on the bottom of your rug that is layed on carpet it will keep it from walking. I have tried this for keeping things such as a kleenex box and cd case from sliding off of the transmission hump in my pick up truck and it works really well. I did find though that it has to be the "Industrial" velcro as the standard stuff doesn't have a good enough adheasive on the back of it. The industrial however....what ever you stick it to...it's on there. I stuck some of this stuff to a metal work bench and had to use a pair of pliers to get it off. The adheasive is very, very strong. You can get this from Home Depot, Lowes, True Value Hardware and probably a bunch of other places. Only thing I would test first is to see how well it grabs your carpet. You don't want it to grab too much. Like I said, it seems to work pretty well on automotive carpet...just a thought.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote