Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

W/D Install in Half-Bath?

I asked my sales rep at the local Winnebago dealer if it might be possible to install a washer/dryer (combo or stack) in the half-bath of a Vista 35F or 35B. She said a few customers planned to do it, but didn't know if they were successful.

Rough measurements indicated it would fit in the 35B, but the 35F might require moving a wall. Either way, I definitely would want to keep the toilet!

Have any of you tried this install? If so, what problems did you have to solve?
HOHDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is the rig plumbed for it?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Is the rig plumbed for it?
No, and that's the issue. None of the entry level units offer W/D prep. I could go to the Sightseer 33C or Adventurer 35P, but I like the bath and a half layout and was trying to stay close to 35 feet.

If I do it, it looks like I would have to remove the sink and vanity, and also cut a 4" hole in the sidewall for venting. The idea of cutting a hole in the wall does make me cringe a bit!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOHDR View Post
No, and that's the issue. None of the entry level units offer W/D prep. I could go to the Sightseer 33C or Adventurer 35P, but I like the bath and a half layout and was trying to stay close to 35 feet.

If I do it, it looks like I would have to remove the sink and vanity, and also cut a 4" hole in the sidewall for venting. The idea of cutting a hole in the wall does make me cringe a bit!
Ouch!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Personally I would step up to the Suncruiser 37F in order to have a Bath and a half. Yes you will be at 38' but the overall niceness of the coach would more than make up for the increase in price and length. IMO
Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Personally I would step up to the Suncruiser 37F in order to have a Bath and a half. Yes you will be at 38' but the overall niceness of the coach would more than make up for the increase in price and length. IMO
The 37F is on my list. However, its MSRP is about $40K more than a (loaded) 35F. It weighs about 3500 pounds more, so it can't carry as much cargo even with a 24K chassis. I certainly agree the 37F is very nice, but I haven't convinced myself (yet) that it's worth it.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
The 37F is on my list. However, its MSRP is about $40K more than a (loaded) 35F. It weighs about 3500 pounds more, so it can't carry as much cargo even with a 24K chassis. I certainly agree the 37F is very nice, but I haven't convinced myself (yet) that it's worth it.
As you can see in my signature, I have a 37F. If your plan is to replace the vanity sink with a W / D, I believe THAT could be done.........however, IMO, you will have to sacrifice the corner medicine cabinet AND the toilet, too. There is NO WAY the machines will fit and keep the function of the "half bath".

Also, be aware that the vanity sink in there drains into the BLACK tank under that toilet. Ed
Old 09-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I put the vent hole in our 2001 37g closet. I bought the stackable and used a hole saw after drilling a pilot hole on the inside to see where I didn't hit anything. I lined up the vent with the outlet so I could reach in and connect the tube from the outside. I bought a white plastic cover with removable flaps and can reach in to remove lint in the vent.
No big deal
The weight of the 37 doesn't give you much capacity for extras.
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Ed, just one of the advantages of the 37F is that is already has space for a W/D, just aft of the refrigerator, so there would be no need to change the half bath. 2014 units include W/D prep standard, and the coach I saw already included the optional stackable set.

Arizona, thanks for the tips. I hadn't thought of connecting the vent from the outside!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Ed, just one of the advantages of the 37F is that is already has space for a W/D, just aft of the refrigerator, so there would be no need to change the half bath. 2014 units include W/D prep standard, and the coach I saw already included the optional stackable set.

Arizona, thanks for the tips. I hadn't thought of connecting the vent from the outside!
Yes, I know. I thought this thread was about putting a W / D in the half bath.

Ours has the W /D water & electric connections as you described, but since we have no machines, there is no vent cut thru to the outside (yet). All we ever hear from RVers that HAVE a W /D in their coach is how much water they use and their limited washing capacity, so we've never added them to our coaches. Having the "prep" adds to resale value, we hope.

FWIW, if you have the stacked W /D in a 37F, where do you store your groceries? Without the machines, we have a huge pantry with 3 pull-out drawers on top and massive storage shelves below.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Ed,

The thread is about putting a W/D in a half-bath, but specifically in a Vista/Sunstar 35F or 35B. What started me thinking about it was forum threads about replacing sofas with recliners, RV fridges with residential ones, etc.

Like you, I've read the threads about Splendide W/D's and issues with water and wrinkles, as well as long drying times. Per the instruction manual, the combo unit uses 7-18 gallons of water per load, so an empty 37F gray tank could be full after as few as 4 loads. Laundromats would be needed if there is no sewer hookup for an extended period. The instructions also address the issue of wrinkles, including suggesting removing and shaking out the laundry prior to drying. That's what I have to do with my S&B residential units, anyway. As far as longer time, I’ll be sitting under the awning sipping a cold one, so when it’s done, it’s done.

Loss of pantry/storage space has been mentioned by a number of folks as a reason not to add a W/D. For the 37F, the buffet might be a potential alternative, at least for some of the taller pantry items. That would mean fabricating roller drawers. The standard chairs weren’t comfortable for me, so upholstered dinette chairs on casters would take their place, which also would simplify buffet access.

Now that I’ve started to think about modifications, I’ve stopped blaming manufacturers for not offering what I want, which is essentially fitting features from a 38­­-foot coach in a 35-foot package. There will be compromises, but not a W/D or the toilet in a half-bath!

Tags
install