Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vinyl Decal Replacement

I have about 25 hours into stripping off the old decals and vinyl from my 2002 Winnie Adventurer. I am not finding off the shelf decals that I love and would like to do some custom design. If anyone has any pictures of a custom job that they really like I would love to see them. We are Ocean and Mountain people so I am thinking something like a crashing wave on one side and a mountain scene on the other. We will also be renaming her something different than Adventurer, something fun like Going Going Gone.
Here are some pictures of the stripped down rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4030.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	179740   Click image for larger version

Name:	6V8YcQWQQeWkBgYwUhO7FA.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	179741  

Name:	IMG_4032.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	179742   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZYbqSPKXQxqZIRb1lGwY%g.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	179743  

The Reichel’s
Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Your prep work looks great. Now the hard part is done and the fun can begin.

I did something similar to my boat a few years back. Most Vinyl Graphic shops can create any design you want. I preferred it to match the factory original, and it turned out perfect.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You might want to consider a wrap
Old 06-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
Site Team

How about a large arrow with a lean in it pointing forward on both sides?

If you make it more generic than just the things that you like you'll find it easier to sell on to someone in the future. And, naming would be an important part of that. Would you want to buy a used Going, Going, Gone? Or a Winnebago Adventurer?

Another idea instead of the direction arrow could be a very large compass rosette.

I've attached a couple of other ideas - two "direction arrows" and one mountain / ocean design idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 12.05.28 PM.png
Views:	56
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	179784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 12.11.45 PM.png
Views:	60
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	179785  

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 12.12.49 PM.png
Views:	57
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	179786  
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Not my business, but I like the compass rose idea for the back, then the second arrow idea for the sides, of course you’d have to get a reverse arrow for the driver side. ��
Old 06-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #6

Since you live in AZ, I would head for Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) and let Carlos do a full body paint job or you can discuss murals or decals.

Here's the link to The Reef RV Park, located in Rock Point, where you can get more information about the excellent work Carlos and his crew did for me over these last few years.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-358003-3.html

I can vouch for Carlos and Pablo's body and paint work. It's excellent. However, I have never used any of the mural painters in Rocky Point. However, I think you will be pleased with their artistry and quality.

They use Sherwin-Williams automotive paint (from a shop in town) and a high quality clear coat. These are the best products.

I also see you have a basement AC, which may need some maintenance. Gabriel can help you with that... and he just replaced my HWH Flat-Floor plastic triangles just 1 month ago (in May-2021). Just bring all your parts with you.

And while they work on your RV you can be vacationing and sipping margaritas at the restaurant next door to the RV park.

To contact them in advance, just use What's App on your cell phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV Cabinet Making & RV Mural Custom Painting.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	179794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocky Point Map.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	179795  

Name:	1 The Reef RV Business Cards.jpg
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	179796  
Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
Dosis sola facit venenum

I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question but I just wanted to say that the job you did removing those decals looks amazing. I have a 2004 Adventurer that I'm planning to full time in starting the end of next year after I retire. The decals are in mostly good shape but they are showing their age and I was planning to do what you did and remove them. Did you have much of an issue with a difference in color due to fading when you took them off? I'm interested to know the method(s) you used. Again, beautiful job!
TWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I also just removed the graphics. They were in horrible condition and etched into the paint. I wound up having to palm sand as the final step. My final solution is a proper marine paint (Pettit EZpoxy). I'm going to skip the graphics entirely.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Not decal related so much, but that rig does seem to be settled in the rear. By quite a bit.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Free paint

Or, you could park it down by the railroad tracks in East L.A. overnight and I'm sure someone would paint it for you for free. They seem to do a good job on all the railcars I see crossing the country! ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Nice job on stripping the old decals. The reason they use decals are because they are cheap and you get a lot of bang for your buck. Unfortunately they fail. The real answer is to have a custom paint shop do the art work and paint your graphics and then put on a couple of clear costs. Sure it cost more but it will last. The big rigs with full paint cost more for a reason. To me it doesn’t make sense to put on decals because they minute you put them on they start to fail. Slowly but still failing
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
I have about 25 hours into stripping off the old decals and vinyl from my 2002 Winnie Adventurer. I am not finding off the shelf decals that I love and would like to do some custom design. If anyone has any pictures of a custom job that they really like I would love to see them. We are Ocean and Mountain people so I am thinking something like a crashing wave on one side and a mountain scene on the other. We will also be renaming her something different than Adventurer, something fun like Going Going Gone.
Here are some pictures of the stripped down rig.
Looks great, nice and clean. Did you use a heat gun?
lwkj59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #13
WinnieAdven38

(1) Winnebago still carries some of the original decals for early models.

(2) Find a good graphic artist who can create designs on computer and then have printed as vinyl decals. There is also a way to "wrap" vinyl on your RB instead of painting. Just search on-line. Here is 1 link I found:

https://www.rvinyl.com/vinyl-wrap.ht...iAAEgK3OvD_BwE

Results can be very impressive. I saw a 2006 Winnebago RV a friend completely wrapped in white vinyl and then added custom designed photos and accents over that. Result looked better than new paint!
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Periodically applying a UV protectant such as 303 aerospace will help prevent deterioration and will save you hundreds of $$$.

https://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30305-Recreation-Protectant/dp/B000XBCURW/ref=asc_df_B00JREJ9WU/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309819417245&hvpos=&hvne tw=g&hvrand=8207690078333947611&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hv qmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010648& hvtargid=pla-439372590900&psc=1&ref=&adgrpid=62061529859&th=1
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I'm interested in how you removed the old graphics.
Did you use heat? Or a solvent?
LovelandMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Graphics Replacement

I have a 2001 Adventurer.
I was in the SIGN/GRAPHICS business for 24 yrs.
After several mistakes , I determined that " OVERWRITING " old graphics was EASIER and LESS DESTRUCTIVE ( to gel coat ) .

Meaning ... I left the old graphics there... scraped off curled parts ... waxed with ZEP wax to fill in any indentations ... then applied new vinyl atop of old and trimmed about 1/4" larger than the outside edges of the old graphic(s).
Finished by adding 3/4" stripes to even up any wavy edges.

I have done this on (5) Class A's I owned , (2) 5th Wheels and a B+.

THIS is my latest .......I did add a few NEW elements
I top them off with ZEP FLOOR POLISH , which has always done a GREAT job of adding shine ..... EXCEPT fot THIS unit.
I do not know if they have changed their formula, or if there is another issue that has kept the shine down.

Rich

( see pictures )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winnie-small2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	179914  
Attached Images

Rich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much for the feedback. All good points to consider and I like your designs.

The Reichel’s
Old 07-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
How about a large arrow with a lean in it pointing forward on both sides?

If you make it more generic than just the things that you like you'll find it easier to sell on to someone in the future. And, naming would be an important part of that. Would you want to buy a used Going, Going, Gone? Or a Winnebago Adventurer?

Another idea instead of the direction arrow could be a very large compass rosette.

I've attached a couple of other ideas - two "direction arrows" and one mountain / ocean design idea.
Thank you very much for the feedback. All great points to consider and your design ideas are great!

The Reichel’s
Old 07-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Since you live in AZ, I would head for Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) and let Carlos do a full body paint job or you can discuss murals or decals.

Here's the link to The Reef RV Park, located in Rock Point, where you can get more information about the excellent work Carlos and his crew did for me over these last few years.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-358003-3.html

I can vouch for Carlos and Pablo's body and paint work. It's excellent. However, I have never used any of the mural painters in Rocky Point. However, I think you will be pleased with their artistry and quality.

They use Sherwin-Williams automotive paint (from a shop in town) and a high quality clear coat. These are the best products.

I also see you have a basement AC, which may need some maintenance. Gabriel can help you with that... and he just replaced my HWH Flat-Floor plastic triangles just 1 month ago (in May-2021). Just bring all your parts with you.

And while they work on your RV you can be vacationing and sipping margaritas at the restaurant next door to the RV park.

To contact them in advance, just use What's App on your cell phone.
Great referrals for paint work, thank you. I have not ventured down to Rocky Point with the RV however it sounds like a fun road trip to mix some work and vacation. Thanks for the tips!

The Reichel’s
Old 07-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWolf View Post
I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question but I just wanted to say that the job you did removing those decals looks amazing. I have a 2004 Adventurer that I'm planning to full time in starting the end of next year after I retire. The decals are in mostly good shape but they are showing their age and I was planning to do what you did and remove them. Did you have much of an issue with a difference in color due to fading when you took them off? I'm interested to know the method(s) you used. Again, beautiful job!
Hello, Thanks for noticing the effort! I bought some rubber vinyl wheel removers from Amazon. They plug into an electric drill and make the job a bit easier. I also went over the decals first with nail polish remover. You will probably need to buff out and wax the gel coat after you finish in order to reduce the coloring variance although once that is completed its pretty good especially from 10 ft away. My rig has definitely been sun baked so I noticed quite a difference once the decals were removed. If you need additional info feel free to reach out.

The Reichel’s

Tags
ace, replace, replacement