Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
jgh
Winnebago Camper

Vin Question

I'm new to Winnebago, when I look up vin it shows ford stripped chassis. nothing about Winnebago. is this normal.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
yes. the chassis VIN is just that...the VIN for the chassis only. Winnebago purchases the chassis' from the mfg and then builds the coach. the coach will have it's own serial number. when/if you call Winnebago tech or sales support they will ask you for either the VIN or the serial number. they can identify your specific coach with either. suggest you write down both and keep them handy.

btw, it is entirely possible that your chassis VIN may indicate a different year than the coach. for example, a 2019 Winnebago motorhome may be built on a 2018 chassis. for licensing and insurance purposes the vehicle is considered a 2019 model.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
JBP
Winnie-Wise

The dealer should have given you the correct title. I usually receive both. Did you look in you satchel. They may have put it in there. It should have been given to you when you signed the paper work picking put the coach.
Give the person that did the paper work for you were the correct one is. Were you able to get it licensed?
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ford was the actual builder of the chassis. They are required to give it a VIN............no one else
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
The dealer should have given you the correct title. I usually receive both. Did you look in you satchel. They may have put it in there. It should have been given to you when you signed the paper work picking put the coach.
Give the person that did the paper work for you were the correct one is. Were you able to get it licensed?
I'm about to get my fourth title in two months. The first used a code TT instead of MH, had my first name wrong and was missing a digit from the VIN. It did have the model year and motorhome manufacturer correct.

The second one said MH and had my name correct but still had a digit missing from the VIN.

The third one fixed the missing digit but changed the model year to the VIN year and changed the manufacturer to Ford F53. The person who did it did not do a manual override.

The best part is that after the title was changed from TT to MH the state issued me plates. With an invalid VIN. 'm still not sure how to fix that.

Every mistake was by the state's title bureau and missed by the dealer. This is getting old...

And my insurance company issued the policy as a 2019 instead of as a 2020 because they also used the VIN year. That was another fight due to the replacement cost provision. I did not want them compensating us for a 2019 instead of a 2020.
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
jgh
Winnebago Camper

Title

My concern was I found seller did not disclose problems with Motorhome and when I tried to get Carfax it came up blank. when I tried some of the other title searches one was clear one was salvage one listed it as a different make. my title came through saying Winn.
thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, Carfax relies on auto dealers and car repair shops reporting work to them. I would think the best you could get with a motorhome would be if the chassis itself had work performed at a place that reported to Carfax. I doubt anyone would ever report RV systems-related problems. Good call on doing the title check.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote