Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

VIN Number

Hello, I have a 2000 Journey 36L. I need to find the Vin number inorder that I can get it registered in PA. I looked where they are on cars but couldn't find it. I did find a sticker on the door hinge. I need to get a pencil rubbing of it. So It needs to be raised letters not a sticker. Any help would be nice.
Also I need to get the GVWR and the GCWR of the vehicle. This needs to be signed by a inspection mechanic. I know what the GVWR is but not what the GCWR is?
Thanks,
Scott
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our MH has a plaque fixed to the wall next to the driver seat, down low. It is just above the floor and under a small shelf. Kind of hard to find unless you are crawling around on the floor. I'm not sure yours will be there but it is a place to check.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

HI SLP45:

I am purchasing a Meridian 2004 in VA... and live in PA and can't find the Vin# PLATE either. I found two cards attached top coach, but no plate for tracing.

Drop me an email if you find it... The notary said they need the etching ot the actual coach..???

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There should be a placard on the Journey, to the left of the driver's seat, with the VIN on it. I do not know of any places where you can get a pencil tracing, even on my cars.

If you go to winnebagoind.com they have a listing of prior year coaches where you can get the specs for GCVWR and other data you may need. Also, there should be a data sheet in the rear closet of the coach with this data on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

When I went to AAA they told me they needed a tracing also. I doubt you'll find a plate to do that with. I found another place called tri county tag service. They do all kinds of vehicles and told me to take pictures of the vin number plates and that would be alright. My advice is to try somewhere else that does Motorhomes.
Good Luck, Scott
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp45 View Post
When I went to AAA they told me they needed a tracing also. I doubt you'll find a plate to do that with.
On most vehicles (cars & trucks) the VIN# is a recessed space and visible through the front window. It would be difficult if not all all impossible to get a tracing.

On Winnebago Motorhomes your VIN# is clearly posted on your owner's bag documentation on page #1. It's been that way for me since 2001. The other location would be on the cockpit wall to left of the driver's seat. One more place to look, on the walls inside the closest for a weights and loading sheet however as of late that sheet is no longer posted.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

When you find it take a photo of it. It should be sufficient for PA registration.
goforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I know what the GVWR is but not what the GCWR is?
The GCWR is Gross Combined Weight Rating, so would be GVWR plus tow rating. The tow rating might be 10k on a 2000 Journey. If not 10k, then it would be 5k. If you can't find it anywhere in your info, call Winnie Owner Relations at 800-537-1885. If you give them the vin and/or s/n, they can give you the right answer.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Pia vin #

Hi Guys:

I called Winnebago about the location, they said card next to driver seat on wall... I called Freightliner Chassi...they said look at back near the radiator upper right hand courner should be a plate.... BUT on a few years they didn't put them on. Only other place is underneath the coach on the inside of frame.. What a hassle.

I DID take pictures of the card with Vin number next to drivers seat AND the Registration Windshield with Vin # on bottom, also have the sellers VA vehicle Registration and original card in Winne info bag. The Idiot at the Tags place still doesn't know if it will sufice.

I tried to do the right thing, I will just drive the sucker with my friends VA plates to PA and they can take the vin off the coach. Better yet, I will find a new TAG Transfer Dealer.

Regards... Jim P.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I will find a new TAG Transfer Dealer
Excellent idea!!!! Find one who can think on their own!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

More Info:

Just learned this advice.

Most states...like PA & VA have a temporary permit ..what they call a Temporary Trip Permit. Go to a Customer service Center, show them the title, DL, proof of insurance and for $5.00 they give you a permit for 3 days to get the coach back to your registering state.

Once back in PA drive the coach to TAG Register Place, or have a State Tropper Validate the Vin # and take validation with you. Both places I tried will not take pictures.

Hope this helps..
Old 02-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I just went under mine because I knew I had seen the VIN on the frame rail. On mine, an '07 Freightliner chassis, the VIN is stamped into the frame rail, in front of the front axle, under the driver seat area facing down. To make a tracing/pencil rubbing of it at this location would be a very easy task once you get under there and locate it.

The coding within the VIN will give the registration authority all the information they need, assuming their system is set up to display it.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

when i moved to texas from california, i drove my old california tags for over three years before i finally traded that car away. never got stopped for tags.
Money Man is offline   Reply With Quote