Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Valve extenders install?

We have a 2005 Adventurer on the 22k WH. The MH did NOT come with valve extenders and I was wanting to know if others had them installed or, are they a bad idea. Find it very difficult to check the air psi on the rear duals.
I have a set of valve extenders(steel braided) from wheelmasters for steel wheels with wheeliners. The problem I am having installing them is the "L" brackets that are required to be pop rivted onto the hub. I cannot get in there to drill the holes for the pop rivets that hold the "L" brackets. I have even used a right angle drill ,still not enough room for drill.
The only way I see is, to remove the wheeliner and then remove the hub. I am not even sure if the hub center is removable from the wheeliner it appears to be riveted on.
I have never removed a 22.5" wheeliner before, not sure how they come off or what is required.
Thanks for any ideas or suggestions ?
kstrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The wheel liner is held on by two or three extra nuts threaded on the studs over the wheel liner. You must take the cap off and thenremove the nuts to remove the wheel liner. Most of the hub covers are not attached to the wheel liner, but will come off when you take the wheel liner off. Also, look in the Motorhome magazine, they have advertised valve extensions that are not flexible. They look like they are easier and better than the flexible ones.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I bought these to get access to the outside duals.
Amazon.com: Camco 44973 RV 135 Degree Tire Valve Extension: Automotive
And these to extend all my stems.
Amazon.com: Pacific Dualies 18099 3 Inch Straight Valve Stem Extension - Set of 2: Automotive

These are ridged and a must if you have a TPMS installed.

It sure makes checking inflation easy.

Dick
Old 02-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

On the wheel liner lugs, those that are threaded will have an indentation, or a notch, or a raised piece, or a dimple on one of the flat surfaces to identify it. You should have a special wrench for removing those that are screwed on. Once you have done that the liner and hub should come right off for easy drilling and pop riveting.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Wayne, that maybe what I have. I have not been able to pull the cap covers off with a removal tool. If I can find the proper tool, I will see if they are screwed on.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

kstrails: The covers for the "jam" nuts slip off using the rubber coated Pliers. (Only the covers for the jam nuts come off, the rest are part of the wheel simulator)
The jam nuts are thinner and flatter than the lug nuts and screw on the lugs, over top of the wheel simulator and the hub covers. On mine, I remove the 3 jam nuts and the wheel simulator and the hub cover lift off. My wrench for the jam nuts is a flimsy looking "T" handle affair.
Once you work the nut covers off, this makes more sense..
These are the pliers you need. Wheel masters: Universal Lug Nut Cover Pliers

Hope this helps...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I used a Dremel. First I marked the center hub with a centerpunch, as the drill drifts on the chrome. Then a high speed Dremel fit at a slight angle. Note, I did break a couple of drill bits, even using WD40 as a lubricant. Then a pop rivet finished the assembly. It works just fine, and I too can now check the air pressure without an extra pair of hands to hold the valve.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

My "tool" is hanging on a manufacture's supplied hook in the forward compartment, drivers side. It is a thin flimsy tool that looks like a lug nut wrench, but would never hold up to remove or install lug nuts. It is a little bigger than a lug nut to fit over the lug cover.

Let us know what you find/do?

Personally, I had mine professionally installed and they did a great job.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

kstrails: My wheel liners only have two jam nuts holding the covers on. (you could spent a lot of time trying to find the 3rd one)...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If you used "Dually Valve Stems" you would not need to worry about extensions. See there ad in the back of FMCA mag. Great product, great service.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the help. We just got this motorhome, so I am not real "up to date" on where every thing is or how things work yet. I will look in all the compartments and see if there might be a tool to remove the lug nut caps. Also, found someone who has a smaller right angle drill that may fit inside the wheel cover to drill the holes for the pop rivets. I will try this first.... and see what happens.
We live in a remote area so,tools and service are not easy to obtain.
Already have the wheelmaster extenders.Really did not want to purchase more / different valve steam extenders. However they may have been better.
Again thanks for the help and suggestions. I really enjoy reading the information on this forum. A lot of good people on here.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I didn't add extenders, but I use this dual head inflator with gauge. I double checked the air pressure with a foot long gauge and it is right on. Many years ago they used to be on the free air stations at service stations until people walked off with them. Joe
Amazon.com: Milton S506 Dual Head Inflator Gauge with 12" Air Hose: Automotive