Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Vacuum pump on diesel--is it failing?

We have noticed that the vacuum pump on our 2008 Tour (which operates the heat/defroster ducts) has been running longer than it used to. I took the hose off the pump and put my finger on it to close off the vacuum line and sometimes the pump will run a bit and stop, but other times, it runs and runs. I believe this means the pump is on its way out -- have any of you seen this type of failure?

Thanks!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Rick,

No failures but it seems like you are on the right track. Our Journey’s vacuum pump used to run a lot when we were above 10,000 feet but would settle down as we dropped in altitude. Does it seem to you that the pump can be disassembled? If so, you may want to see if someone can take it apart to see if there is some kind of internal leak.

I think the pump is supplied by the chassis manufacturer and may be under some kind of extended warranty. It’s worth a try anyway.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Famous problem on Journey's....perhaps same on your rig. On the Journey, trace the vacuum line to its connection at the diaphram valve that operates the door in the box containing the heater core (a metal cylinder with a nipple on one end and a lever attached to the diaphram on the other). There was a short piece of black tubing that would split at the nipple causing a leak. That may be the source of a leak which will cause the pump to run continuously.

Also, as noted, the pump may run continuously at higher altitudes. When we crossed the Beartooth Highway in Montanna/Wyoming last fall, my pump would not shut off until we got just outside of Yellowstone.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Vacuum pump

Had a problem with my pump running now and then to running constantly.
researched getting a new pump. My pump was made by hella and also had a ford logo on it. It is the same pump used on many ford light trucks with diesel engines. Found one online for about $150., Ford dealer wanted $325.
I trouble shooted the problem and went from the pump on into the system. Found a short piece of hose which is used as a connector between a vacuum hose and a valve on the system. The fix cost nothing.

RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

smlranger

Not to change the subject but, how did it go on the Beartooth with your rig? Were you pulling a toad? I'm headed that way in a couple of weeks and I was planning to make it a daytrip in my toad. My trip planning would be much easier if I could safely travel the Beartooth in my 03 Journey DL with the toad connected.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
smlranger

Not to change the subject but, how did it go on the Beartooth with your rig? Were you pulling a toad? I'm headed that way in a couple of weeks and I was planning to make it a daytrip in my toad. My trip planning would be much easier if I could safely travel the Beartooth in my 03 Journey DL with the toad connected.
While I know some folks will disagree, I would not hesitate to drive the Beartooth with your Journey and toad. I did pulling my 2008 Explorer which weights about 4,700 lbs. I had checked with a couple of trusted RV'rs who had done the trip in their DP's with toads and they also said it was worth the effort.

The climb up from Red Lodge, MT involves many switchbacks but we just took our time. My DW is somewhat apprehensive about narrow and steep roads but thoroughly enjoyed this run with no complaints. The views are pretty outstanding. Our drive from Red Lodge and thru the NE entrance to Yellowstone and over to West Yellowstone, MT took 8 hours, including a stop for lunch in Cooke City.

If you make this run in warm weather, just make sure your radiator/intercooler is clean since you will give the cooling system a workout on the climb.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Add my Ellipse to the list of coaches which have had the "little black hose" split at the nipple. Thanks to this forum, I knew right were to look and fixed it in 10 min for free!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

smlranger,

I'm just beginning to get familiar with a few of the chasis features but cannot locate the vaccuum pump being discussed. Can you tell me where it is located? And can you give me more details about how to find the rubber tube that is being discussed here? Are there any pictures available?
Thanks for your help,

jim
04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

On my 03 34H it's pretty well hidden behind the aux air chuck and gauge. Open the generator compartment while someone actuates the heater controls and you will hear it. It looks like it would be a real bear to change.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

ernieh,
thanks, I know where you mean, but where is the black hose connection mentioned above

thanks
jim
04 Journey 34H
Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
ernieh,
thanks, I know where you mean, but where is the black hose connection mentioned above

thanks
jim
04 Journey 34H

On my Journey, the vacuum pump is mounted on the driver's side in the upper firewall (looking inside the gen access door). The leaking rubber hose in question is on the opposite side near the heater core/AC box. There should be a silver can-shaped valve with a nipple on the bottom near that box. There is a short piece of rubber tubing attached to that nipple that cracks.

Perhaps the configuration is different with your 04.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

smlranger,
It's clear now. Thanks for your explanation.

What a great forum this is where experienced guys like you and ernieh can help RV beginners like me.

regards,
jim & debbie and 2 cocker spaniels
04 Journey 34H
Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Update on the pump -- just left Winnebago and the pump was toast. Apparently it was an internal leak.

Thanks

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote