Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-23-2007, 05:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We just got our Itasca Spirit and were looking for a good vacumm cleaner for it. Any good ideas out there.

Woolfy
Woolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just got our Itasca Spirit and were looking for a good vacumm cleaner for it. Any good ideas out there.

Woolfy
Woolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We bought an inexpensive upright Hoover that is big enough to do the job quickly but small enough to get into most of the areas that need to be vacuumed and still fits easily into an outside storage compartment. Our theory is we just need it along to do quick cleanups from tracking in (we also use slipon shoes and take them off at the door) and then we use our better and bigger house vacuum at home to give it a good cleaning 3 or 4 times a year. Then in the fall before we put our motorhome into storage we get the steam cleaner out and really clean it. So far carpet looks like new!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Woolfy ...

We have the predecessor to the Eureka 405B ... this machine does a great job on the carpet and bare floors ...

pix and description

(ours has some "tools" and a short hose for cleaning around the edges and in tight spots ... this feature has disappeared in the 405B)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have the same yellow Eureka. Works like a charm and it has a hardwood floor feature...Take care
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
Beam, RV Model, built in.

See it here:
http://www.bobhatch.com/mhPages/vacuumInstall.htm
Old 11-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We have a Eureka Optima... Sold at Wally World.
It's nice and small for storage, only weighs 12 pounds and it really SUCKS! I think the new ones are around 50 or 60.00$$ give or take... The wife is very happy with it for over a year now..
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We bought the Dirt Devil CV950 central vac and my husband installed it under the compartment. It is small enough that it doesn't take a lot of room. It does a real good job. The attachments are small emough to store under the bed or in the closet. Cost was a little over 250.00. We are very happy with the vac. Patti

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

We have been using a General Electric upright for several years now. It is a small model with telescoping handle and detachable hand vac for furniture and hard to get places. It has a power brush in the head. Does a very good job. Cost about $45.00 at Wal-Mart, stores easily in the closet.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We bought a cheapie from K mart. It has a small footprint and a hose attachment with a special brush for doing pet hairs. It does a nice job on the bare floors as well as the carpet and it has a visible canister with filter that is easily emptied. The handle telescopes into the body and stores nicely in the clothes closet. As mentioned previously we also brought the home vac but this little one seems to do a pretty good job and for $69 we could probably buy a new one every couple of years if it doesnt last but I personally think that with the usage it will last a long time.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:32 AM   #11
GG1
Winnie-Wise

You really need a vac that has the same suction as a regular household type if you spend a lot of time in the coach, and use it daily if you really want to keep the carpets looking good. We have a full size upright. Also a Bissell compact deep cleaner shampooer with a beater brush. Surprisingly they do not take up much space if your organized. Also we find a cleaner with a disposable bag is the best otherwise you must empty it outside to avoid a big mess.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

We have tried three different vacs including a Eureka Whirlwind and a Shark. None of them worked very well in our opinion.
A while back I took the Eureka into a Vacuum sales and repair shop and told him I wanted something a lot better and still small since it was for a motor home. He tested the suction and the airflow on the Eureka (said the airflow is more important than the suction) and came up with a Superfast 500 Vacuum made by Schneider Industries in California. It has 85 inches of water lift and 115 cubic feet of airflow. That was over twice what the Eureka had and over three times what the Shark had. It's pricey (list is $199) I paid about $130 for it - but it does a heck of a job. I also bought a vacuum powered carpet brush head that cost another $38 and unlike the one that came with the Shark, it is hard to slow down.
It's small: Weight = 4.5 pounds, Dimensions =7"x12.5"x4.5" but powerful and comes with the usual attachments plus attachments for cleaning computer keyboards and the like. Those work great on the motor home dash.
Vacuum shops carry them but I haven't seen them at the mass merchandisers like Target or Walmart.
The web site is HERE if you are interested.

I posted this a while back and two people bought one from the web site for less than a hundred dollars. I don't know if that was a special sale or not.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">. I also bought a vacuum powered carpet brush head that cost another $38. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clay, I'm interested in this vacuum and have looked at Schneider's website. I could not find any reference to the powered carpet brush head. Was it by the same manufacturer? Do you happen to have a model#? Thank you.

2005 Adventurer 33V