Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Using PopRv to broker a purchase

I'm looking at one of the many RVs being advertized by "PopRv", and wonder if anyone can comment on how legitimate they are, and in general if anyone has opinions on using a broker to buy or sell an rv. Thanks!
Littlerig85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have to say it has been a mixed bag of good and bad!
We bought our 2015 Vista from a broker just North of Fort Worth and found it a decent enough experience except for one small thing we found later. They were supposed to fix a chip in the windshield and when we got there to pick it up, they had done one of the injection fixes and it was still very obvious but we had used that fix on several cars with no problem and decided to accept it.
Satisfied overall!

But then we went to sell and decided to let him sell it as he was a "broker" and we decided to let him sell it on consignment since the pricing seemed better and we were in no hurry , just did not want to do the showing and dealing ourselves as we have found many here in this area want to deal in "South of the border" fashion, if you know what I mean?
But that did not work because he turned out to be worse that the folks who deal on the bridges! Did you know you can buy diamond rings on the bridge for $20!!

We made the deal, he picked the RV up and over about eight weeks, he had several items which he stated needed repair, Just small things like a new start battery, but things he said were making it not sell. After the sales consignment contract expired he came up with an "offer" that was pretty low compared to what he had first stated to expect but we did agree as we have bigger concerns to deal with than the price of the motorhome. He said he had checked the credit of the person making the offer and it was good so we could expect it to go, even if low. Okay, just get it done!
But it went over the weekend and about Tuesday we had not heard so called and got the story that the buyer had credit problems, yadda, yadda, but the broker offered to buy it for 4,000 less than the buyer's offer!

At that point we said no we will pick it up and drove to Fort Worth where we found a mess! Broker was "out of the office" that day but the RV was ready except it had been parked out in back under the trees and covered in bird mess and the inside was a wasteland! I suspect the crew had been using it as a break room as there was a trail of mud and dirt from the front steps to the table and the bed was rumpled like somebody had slept in it.
There were obvious soda and coffee spills in various places and nobody was cleaning anything. You could spot the rings from a coffee pot in the spills on the countertop!
It also still had the battery that I had installed about 16 months ago and he had been set to charge us for changing!
I can't prove it but the feeling is that he is a crook!

So we were sick of it, brought it home and cleaned and and called a broker online, located in Florida, made a deal sight unseen but described with a 4,000 higher price to us. They flew a man here who came by the house, checked it and found all okay except the windshield crack which he said they would be required to replace.
We knocked 500 off and it was all done in great fashion with the only holdup being both his bank and ours were not staffed to a level that we could get confirmation of the bank transfer as wait time on telephone callback was more than 45 minutes at both! Since our bank is close, we drove there and after dealing with several people who did not know how to check, we saw the money had arrived and he drove it away!
He was just a driver and there were two of them in the Central Texas area that day and were meeting to drive RVs back to Florida!

Final? Buying was okay, selling at the same broker was a rip but selling to a bigger, different broker gave me a reasonable price and it was a big relief to do it in one easy afternoon with no haggle and no stress as he did not try to dink and dunk us on phony little stuff like batteries that they did not change!

I may never go near another dealership for cars nor RV ever again!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Do a Google search for “Is PopRv legitimate”.

The results I got did not leave me with a good feeling. You may feel different.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had talked to Pop‘s RV I couple of times when my 2005 country star was for sale last Spring (2020). Before I agreed to have them broker my sale, I wanted to find out what it would be like to go through them as a buyer. So, I looked at some other units that they had for sale and, when I discovered that you had to pay before you could even see or test drive the RV I thought to myself, “who is going to do that?”. So, I steered clear of them in both selling and buying.
TKep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I bought a 04 Minnie Winnie through them a couple years ago and they were very competent and friendly. Whenever I sent a text or email the the agent he got back to me pretty quickly. They also made the closing process as easy as A-B-C. Because they were remote, and not physically at the RV location, I actually dealt with the owner and it was great. Who likes a pushy salesperson shadowing them around anyway? I'd go through them again.
Grandparat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase