Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Used Itasca

We are looking at a 2006 Itasca Ellipse RB with 63000 miles, 36 feet long. Can anyone tell me what to look out for! Thanks Don
cadillac man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Check the plastic coolant tank in the back as the sun degrades them and they crack and leak. Also make sure the radiator has been cleaned as those years have a slobber vent tube which needs to be routed out the back of the RV. If not there will be a mist of oil getting on the radiator and that combined with dust will plug the radiator and make it run hot.

Also make sure that basement air works OK and both compressors kick in. That is an expensive repair if not functioning properly.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thankyou for the info. I will check it out.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Don--not specific to that RV, but for any model... check all the systems and appliances to make sure they work. Run the slides in and out; extend/retract the levelers, etc. Then check the date codes on the tires since RV tires usually age out before they wear out. Look closely at the ceiling for any signs of leaks. Good luck.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:12 PM   #5

If you are considering purchasing a 12 year old coach, hire a pro to inspect it. Use his/her report for making the deal.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Take a close look at the tires. Check date codes and any weather checking. These are a quick $4,000 to replace. Nice that it has a fiberglass roof but check all seals. Like Larry said, a good inspector will go up there.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Look for any evidence of hydraulic leaks (and any other issues) relating to your jacks and slide-outs and, if there is any, get it evaluated and a firm repair quote before moving forward. I had to have several hoses replaced on my 2002 Suncruiser 35U and I still notice some minor leakage from the synchronizing cylinder which balances the pressure between the two cylinders that operate my front slide out.

Hydraulic system repairs and especially replacement can be expensive.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all your answers ! I will take a look at everthing you have said. Thanks Don
Old 06-07-2018, 04:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Itasca

Check out around windshield for signs of rust or repair. You'll find plenty info on youtube. Just bought 2007 Itasca. Have minor issue which I resealed the top of windshield. Found problem by hitting ceiling inside at windshield. rust particles fell onto dash. No leaks, so think I'm ok.
I also installed aTrack Bar on rear axle to reduce swaying from wind and passing semi's. Not cheap, but well worth the expense.
trebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:38 AM   #10
aa1ssradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebot View Post
Check out around windshield for signs of rust or repair. You'll find plenty info on youtube. Just bought 2007 Itasca. Have minor issue which I resealed the top of windshield. Found problem by hitting ceiling inside at windshield. rust particles fell onto dash. No leaks, so think I'm ok.
I also installed aTrack Bar on rear axle to reduce swaying from wind and passing semi's. Not cheap, but well worth the expense.

Had that same problem with a winnebago we had. The rust ended up cracking the glass. Cost about 2k out of pocket for new metal to be welded in. Insurance paid for windshields.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca