Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have kept careful records about expenses on my '02 Suncruiser since I bought it used in 2004.

This includes mileage by the fill and a running average over the 4+ years.

I have had individual fills showing upwards of 8.5 MPG but those were on smooth level freeway runs with a tail wind and often not towing the car.

But, suddenly I an getting very good mileage in mountains and against head/side winds.

Ths only thing I have done is FINALLY adjust my steer-safe unit. I have had a bad to severe pull to the right for 2-3 years and finally got fed up with it.

Since it was properly adjusted, my calculated MPG has risen to ~7.7 over 900+ miles.

I guess my only question is, could the steer-safe being misadjusted cause that much (0.5+ MPG) difference? My driving habits have not otherwise changed.

Comments anyone?

Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have kept careful records about expenses on my '02 Suncruiser since I bought it used in 2004.

This includes mileage by the fill and a running average over the 4+ years.

I have had individual fills showing upwards of 8.5 MPG but those were on smooth level freeway runs with a tail wind and often not towing the car.

But, suddenly I an getting very good mileage in mountains and against head/side winds.

Ths only thing I have done is FINALLY adjust my steer-safe unit. I have had a bad to severe pull to the right for 2-3 years and finally got fed up with it.

Since it was properly adjusted, my calculated MPG has risen to ~7.7 over 900+ miles.

I guess my only question is, could the steer-safe being misadjusted cause that much (0.5+ MPG) difference? My driving habits have not otherwise changed.

Comments anyone?

Dean

Old 05-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My question would be, how much wear shows on your front tires? If you had that much drag, you shouldn't have any rubber left!
Old 05-31-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I did replace the tires last year and they did show some wear. The new tires also show dome but not inordinate wear IMHO.

Still scratching my head.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

How did you adjust the Steer Safe to eliminate the pulling?
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I took it to someone who knew what he was doing (as opposed to me). East Valley RV in Mesa, AZ.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think we are getting better gasoline. In the last month I have seen all of our vehicles getting better mileage. Haven't had the motorhome out, but will in two weeks and see what happens. Out Hyundai Accent is getting close to 35 mpg, formerly we could never get more than 31 to 33mpg. Our Ford Windstar now gets over 20 while before it was 18 to 19mpg.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Hilley:
I think we are getting better gasoline. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do the refineries not have a different formulation for winter and summer for the more northern states?

Maybe that's why, John.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

By chance, does the local government in your area require 10% ethanol in gasoline in the winter months to ˜reduce' CO emissions? If so, I believe that most of these requirements are effective for the winter months only and should have lapsed for the season. This could very well explain why you are seeing a 5% to 10% increase in mileage.

Here in Albuquerque, I can't wait till the end of February for the mileage to go up in our car, generally from 24.5 MPG to 26.5 MPG.

Ethanol contains around 33% less heat energy content than gasoline and it's the heat energy that gets you down the road. Diesel for comparison contains about 11% more heat energy than gasoline per gallon plus the diesel combustion cycle is more efficient than the Otto combustion cycle. Hence the diesels generally can get about 30% to 35% better mileage than a gas vehicle all other things (i.e. weight, frontal area, etc.) being equal.

I really can't see the argument for gasohol since it seems like the lower mileage would surely offset any improvements in emissions especially with newer engines designed to reduce CO levels to below 4%. Its an awfully wide brush to cover the occasional 1929 Nash Victoria on the road these days.

Heat content in BTUs/gallon
Diesel = 138,700
Gasoline = 125,000
Ethanol = 84,600
Gasohol = 120,900