Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2023, 05:49 PM   #1
Taz
Living the dream

Uninsulated cargo storage under bedroom slide.

Good day all! While cleaning storage bays (2008 Voyage 32H) I noticed the storage bay under the bedroom slide has some rotted wood from getting wet. I removed the old would and will replace with a new piece of plywood.

The area is framed in but my concern is you can see the plywood the mattress lays on, the side of the drawers and the carpet area under the bed in the bedroom.

Is it left open like this because the basement heat pump is directly below the storage bay? Is the open space used for air circulation?

I would like to insulate the open walls with rigid fiber board to keep the dirt, dust and cold air out.

Has anyone else closed off this area?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cargo Storage.jpg (493.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-23-2023, 09:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Vita 24P

You could use some insulated foam board under the bed. Also add the same foam board to the access door to prevent heat and cold. Make sure your seals on the access door are good and make sure the latch and lock is tight to give good seal to the door.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I also favor blue board for added insulation when working with flat surfaces. Cut to a really tight fit to press into place is one way to avoid the mess of adhesives.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
Taz
Living the dream

Thank you for the quick reply Lenore, Are you saying just the plywood that the mattress sits on? Or the whole area? Good tip on insulating the door
Old 02-24-2023, 11:11 AM   #5
Taz
Living the dream

Thank you for the quick reply Richard, good tip on cutting the boards tight to avoid adhesives. My experience with them leaves my fingers glued together and the object the glue was meant for unglued...haha
Old 02-26-2023, 12:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The Coleman-Mach/RVP heat pump will have a dedicated cold air return(with air filter) and warm/cool air plenum running to ducts in the ceiling.
I doubt that space is connected to the basement unit. If there are no plumbing lines running through that compartment, I would insulate the top and sides.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Thank you for the quick reply Lenore, Are you saying just the plywood that the mattress sits on? Or the whole area? Good tip on insulating the door
I would say just the mattress plywood. The access door however lets cold and hot into the bed area. The doors usually have no insulation.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Mention of the heat pumpmade me take a different look at things and check the drawings.
One big thing I notice is that you may have a bed on a slide? That makes the bed move out and over the weather, so insulating the compartment below is less effective and more difficult if the bed moves out??
Or is that not an issue?

Also looking at drawings, do you have a stand alone furnace with ducts in the floor as some show or is it only a heat pump? Iwould not expect only a heat pump ,os some looking at where the heat may flow might be a good idea before going too far.

Drawings here beginning about page 175 or so:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...08/8wff32h.pdf
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:08 PM   #9
Taz
Living the dream

Thanks Ray, no plumbing lines in that area. Because of where the air filter is located spurred the question whether to insulate the area.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:20 PM   #10
Taz
Living the dream

Hi Richard, yes this cargo bay is the bedroom slide. From what I can see there shouldn't be any issues if I insulate the area.

The unit has both a propane furnace and the heat pump. I'm going to run the heat pump when the weather warms up a bit and see if there is any air flow in that space. I don't think there is but will check again.

Tags
slide, storage