Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV Squeak/Rattle (My 2nd Thread of the Day)

2003 Winnebago Brave, 32 ft, Workhorse Chassis

I continue to chase the squeak/rattle from my front mounted TV. I’ve taken the plastic cover off to try and fix the problem three times.

First: Tightened the bolts that hold the top strap in place.
Quieted it down for a short time only.

Second: Added adhesive backed foam tape (used for general insulating) between the top strap and the TV.
Worked for a shot time, then began to squeak, and became a rattle.

Third: After removing the cover, the top strap seemed looser then before. Added more insulation between strap and TV and really tightened it down. (The top strap was actually bowed away from the TV in the middle.) Perhaps there should not be any insulation under the top strap???

Started a quiet trip through Virginia this month, and after a week the rattle was back and even louder. I removed the cover and found one bolt laying beside the TV on the edge of the cover. The TV is completely out of the cabinet now. I am stripping off the insulation I put on the top strap/TV. The two original bottom blocks of insulation in the metal frame of the cabinet appears to still be functional and in good shape

Options:
Don’t use insulation on the strap.
Add a lock washed to bolts holding the strap.
Add Locktite to the bolts/nuts holding the strap.

Suggestions????
Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Personally I would go with option C "Add Locktite to the bolts/nuts holding the strap".

Ours came with 1" wide double sided tape between the top bracket and the top of the television. It also had the same 2 sided tape between the bottom front corners and the metal plate the TV sits on. We've never had a squeak (from the bracket) or a problem with the bracket comming loose. We did have a squeak one time between the TV and the plastic surround when I reinstalled the plastic surround and got it a little off center.

We have however had a continuing problem with a tinny metalic rattle from the area of the TV. I've removed it several times (which is quite a job with all the double sided tape) and searched the area thoroughly. I couldn't find anything loose in the area. Since we always had to leave the front cabinets open in hot weather to keep the satellite receiver from overheating and shutting off I placed some rolled insulation in the overhead cavity. We no longer have to worry about the receiver. We still occasionally get the tinny rattle. As close as I can tell it's from inside the TV itself. There is an aluminum heat sink in the lower right corner that is only attached at 1 end. Under the right conditions it vibrates and eventually hits something inside the case and produces the tinny rattle.
Since it's so intermittent I haven't yet decided whether I'll "A" just live with it untill the TV dies of old age, "B" Ignore it, "C" fix it , or "D" ask the boss if I can replace the TV with a flat screen .
Old 06-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I would follow Hikerdogs and go for "D". I also could not get rid of the sqeek that drove me out of my mind. Took the 19" dead weight out and nicely fit a 32" flat Samsung LCD. No more sqeeks and a nicer picture.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Here is what i did to solve the problem

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/new-...all-65998.html
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I also had a squeak from my front TV on my 2003 32 ft. Brave. I found that there were 2 pieces of styrofoam - one on each side of the TV. I have no idea why they were there, but when I removed them - reached in through the opening in the back of the TV housing - the squeak went away - permamently. Just an idea.

By the way, I found a way to eliminate the rest of the squeaks in the Brave. I traded it in on a Journey. Now, I have other squeaks that I can chase.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Had a similar problem with my 35U Adventurer, the final fix was to double nut the clamps and use locktite that was 2 years ago and no rattles yet, hope this helps
Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I put self locking nuts (ACE Hardware) on mine; no problems.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Don't feel bad I had the factory replace my crt with a lcd and their install squeaks and rattles too.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote