Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tv antenna booster

I have a new to me Itasca Sunstar 30T. I am unable to locate the on/off switch for the antenna amplifier.
Any ideas.
Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you're talking the white thing on the ceiling inside the coach, with the twisty dial directional adjuster, and the flickering blue lights, the on/off switch is a black slider switch on the side of the unit. It was on my Sunstar, and is the same on my Navion.

If you're talking the switch that selects the roof top antenna or the external cable input, it's on a wall outlet with a coax connector behind the TV in the living area, and it's a little black (hard to see) pop in/out button, push once for on, push again for off.

It's in the manual. Try reading it.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The manual shows a push button on the face of the cable outlet. I have tried the slide switch with no success
Old 07-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
The manual shows a push button on the face of the cable outlet. I have tried the slide switch with no success
On both of my WGO units, the push button is the source selector, cable or antenna. It does it by energizing the booster antenna, or powering it off which allows the cable signal to dominate the pathway. The slide switch on the side of the ceiling unit controls power to the signal meter antenna actuator/amplifier and directional system. Slide one way, the blue lights flicker, slide the other direction, they don't. You also have to twist the attenuator dial which is more like a plastic stick on the ceiling unit. It adjusts the signal gain/sensitivity of the antenna amplifier. I usually set mine 100% clockwise before rotating the antenna directional knob. Once you get 4-5 blue lights, you should have an OTA TV signal.

Honestly, it's a pretty hokey system. Just play with it a little and you'll figure it out.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I know it has to have power. Recently I was taking the coax out of the panel and plugging directly into a splitter (long story), and the antenna didn't power on. Once I plugged back into the panel it powered on. Just an fyi if that helps.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Somewhere and likely hidden is an outlet that has a switch of the face of it and also likely to be hard to see. This switch does the "decision" of using the rooftop or the cable connection. It also turns on the power to the amp on the ceiling under the outside antenna. So if you have no lights on the amp, it is likely the switch is off and set to use a cable connection which may also be hidden in some compartment!
Look for a faceplate that likely has just a single coax connector and then look/feel really closely for the switch? There may be more than one coax connector but you need to find the one with the switch!
Listing exact year and complete info on the unit will let somebody look for the drawing.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I guess I forgot to put all my information on the post
2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T
Old 07-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Okay! getting closer but still not fully there> This is a link to the drawings for that year, make and model:
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram..._e30t_wire.htm
HOWEVER? There are still like eight different layouts depending on which options you have. Maybe looking at these, you will be able to spot which you have and be one step closer on knowing what you should find?
This is a link to the drawings which show HOW and WHERE the coax is installed.
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram...ire_180921.pdf
Looking at top left of the drawing, find the line for the 30T and it will tell you which page should be for your unit. Takes a bit of time to get into reading so that you can look at the drawing and see if it is showing the roof, left or right side, etc. and then it may lead you to know to look in the correct compartment to find the switch.
Hope that makes some sense but I find the drawings are the place for me to go for the "real, true story as many units are just enough different that what I have is not always going to be right for you. The drawing is more reliable!!
If it still is not found, we can give it more study but then I've got to ask all kinds of things like how many toothbrushes are hanging on the shelf!
Trek on - it's got to be there somewhere.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Any help looking at this drawing for the switch?
Got cabinets over the front with outlet near the right end, inside the compartment? Check there, perhaps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ant-cable RV.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	171945  
Old 07-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2013 27n and the dome antenna power is high and right in the cabinet over and in front of the passenger's seat. the power for the "Line of Site" antenna is a button on the antenna crank. The AV hardware is confusing but the instruction manuals make it really a pain. Happy travels
severelyreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Morich's picture shows exactly where the switch is in my 2015 Vista 30T. Tiny little push button just southeast of the coax connector on the plate.
MKE Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Same place as my 2010 Vista 26P
Paul038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Found it
Thanks for all of the help
Old 05-09-2021, 07:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I have Winnebago Minnie drop 2017 170S. I cannot find the button to push for tv to antenna. Any help to get tv activated and programmed would be appreciated v
Meemster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemster View Post
I have Winnebago Minnie drop 2017 170S. I cannot find the button to push for tv to antenna. Any help to get tv activated and programmed would be appreciated v

Your problem is very much the same as above with the added problem of us not getting the really good drawings for trailers as we get for motorhomes.
But the idea is the same and under the outside antenna there is likely to be a box where you can rotate the outside portion.
On the side of that box, should be LED. If they are burning it is getting power to the amp and the tiny little button is in the correct position to receive over the air.

However if those LED are not lit the little button needs to be pushed to turn the power on as well as switch from the coax for cable connections to the coax from the antenna.

The hard part is finding WHERE that one faceplate with the tiny button is located. Most seem to be in an overhead cabinet near the front. Be persistent here if you find a faceplate but don't see a button as it is something like 1/8 inch, does not stick up much at all and most people do look at it without seeing it!!!

Find faceplate with button to turn on the antenna amp LED, then point in the direction of towers, and don't forget to go into the menus on newer TV, set to antenna and scan for channels. New TV that have to scan do make it slow and awkward to scan if you are not sure which way to point the antenna.

Tags
antenna