Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a low frequency drone that seems to be coming from my heat pumps,in both heating and cooling. The only time it is noticeable is lying in bed. It sounds like a out of sync propeller. Otherwise the system works as advertised. Is this normal?

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a low frequency drone that seems to be coming from my heat pumps,in both heating and cooling. The only time it is noticeable is lying in bed. It sounds like a out of sync propeller. Otherwise the system works as advertised. Is this normal?

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It is in mine. We've pretty much gotten used to it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yep, mine does the same thing
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mine does the same also.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yea, I would say that is a good descreption, a low freq. DRONE!! Glenn
Old 08-04-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvskipper:
Otherwise the system works as advertised. Is this normal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>When I was in Viet Nam my barracks was next to a battery of 155mm SP howitzers. When you're comfortable - you can get used to anything.

The drone of the A/C unit becomes lost in the white noise. Our fan on the vanity sometimes makes more noise on hi-speed than the A/C. You will get used to it in fact so much so that if the noise isn't present you may not be able to fall asleep.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

What you hear is the "beat frequency" of the two compressor motors running at nearly the same speed. If you can get compressor 2 to shut off the drone will go away. If your coach is up to temp, try setting changing the EMS panel from 30 to 20 amp, then it should automatically switch out compressor 2. So this will work if it's not too hot/cold to get by with just one compressor. I've done this just to get a nap on the bed when the sound is really bugging me. Other times it just doesn't matter when I'm too tired to care. You WILL get used to it after a while, just like airplane or train backround noise. I just like the idea of being able to kill the drone when I want to.

Bottom line I sure like the quite of basement air in the front living area where we spend more awake time.

Hope this helps,
Duner Bill
Old 08-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Our 04 Adventurer does the same thing. I had it worked on at the 05 GNR with some success, but it is getting back to where it was a year ago. The tech said he tightened all the panels and the compressors as much as he could.
I spoke with the vendor who finally, after much questioning, admited that a few coaches have units that "harmonize". This is a term that was coined for twin engine airplanes where the tubulance plays back and forth between the engines at certain speeds. They have tried several things to fix this problem with limited success.
I would suggest contacting the factory and getting your complaint in writing in case a solution is reached later. In the meantime some of the noise may be reduced by the dealer.

Dave
Old 08-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We also experience this in our bedroom, but it sounds more like a surge than what I understand a drone to be.
A low sound keeps getting louder... to the count from 1 to 10, with 1 being low sound, getting louder as you count to 10, with 10 being the loudest, then it drops back to a low sound and keeps repeating. You can also feel the floor vibration increasing when this happens.

Does this sound like what you are describing as a drone? If so, I will stop complaining about it everytime we take the coach in for service.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote