Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Trike hauling

I have been looking to haul a GL100 CSC Trike on my Winnebago Via. My wife does not want another trailer hooked to the back. Has anybody used tow dolly type hitches with a trike or dual hitch configurations that they can recommend.
Paaymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Are you referring to a hitch adapter that the front wheel of the trike sits in and the rear wheels stay on the pavement?

If so, is the trikes drivetrain capable of long miles, high speed towing?

Like this https://images.app.goo.gl/jZaPm2FM31m13KJQ8

Asking to be curious, otherwise cannot help.

Charles
Old 08-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Heh. This reminds me of the story of my Dad in '49, driving from Michigan to Las Cruces NM between schools ( to get away from the cold), driving his 37 Buick, with his canoe on top, and towing his Harley with the side car on it behind.

Can you clamp a tow bar to the front fork and tow it 3 down? I think that's what Dad did.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paaymans View Post
I have been looking to haul a GL100 CSC Trike on my Winnebago Via. My wife does not want another trailer hooked to the back. Has anybody used tow dolly type hitches with a trike or dual hitch configurations that they can recommend.
Just wondering, what do you mean by “another “ trailer? Do you already tow one and you’d be adding a second one? One of the ways some folks are handling this type of issue is, with the use of what’s called a “ Tandom-tote”.
It has two attachment points so, it is not legally considered a trailer. You can back up with it easily if needed. I used to have the website saved but can’t find it. I’ve seen many of them being used in our travels. Look them up, they might be your answer.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Well,
No answer. Must not be too concerned.
Scott
Old 09-02-2019, 04:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sorry for the delay in response underwent eye surgery. The GL1800 CSC trike is new to us. My wife does not like towing with the RV. I have seen options that attach to the back with dual hitch type receivers and boogey wheels. Anybody utilizing this type of set up? Any thoughts or suggestions, or should I just purchase an enclosed trailer?
Old 09-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Piggyback

We pull a 2015 Chevy Silverado pick up 4x4 behind our motorhome and we have our trike in the back we load it on a sled device that is pulled up into the pick up by a winch works beautiful done this for five years no complaints yet
Shiner56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paaymans View Post
Sorry for the delay in response underwent eye surgery. The GL1800 CSC trike is new to us. My wife does not like towing with the RV. I have seen options that attach to the back with dual hitch type receivers and boogey wheels. Anybody utilizing this type of set up? Any thoughts or suggestions, or should I just purchase an enclosed trailer?
Not sure why the wife is so dead set against towing. About 80 zillion folks with Class A's or C's tow, all over this country and have zero problems. But, that's up to you and her. I already suggested the "Tandem Tote" which, is a dual coupler attachment setup that attaches to the back of the coach. It is NOT CONSIDERED A TRAILER by most, if not all, State Law Enforcement Agencies. You can back up with them and, they'll handle the weight of a Wing trike easily.

We have no issues towing so, like another responder here, we also tow a GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 with a Rampage lift/carrier which, carries our '08 Honda GL 1800 Wing. It's the best of both worlds. But, again, we have no issues towing. When the weather permits, the Wing's our mode of goofing around. But, if the weather goes south, the Wing sits and the truck is our mode of transportation around the area we're presently in.
Scott
Old 09-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Why don't you try a motorcycle or trike lift on the back?
Raylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Anybody using a trike lift on the back?
Old 09-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

My previous motorhome came with a triple hitch on it that was originally installed to hold a motorcycle lift. I didn't need the motorcycle lift so I sold it but used the triple hitch to mount a cargo carrier rack on the ladder side and placed my trike in it standing up with the 2 wheels strapped in the rack and the one wheel strapped to the ladder. I had an extension welded to the rack receiver hitch to lift it above the car hood so it didn't interfere with towing the car. It worked really well and I carried the trike and towed the car many miles like that.
dlwalters3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwalters3 View Post
My previous motorhome came with a triple hitch on it that was originally installed to hold a motorcycle lift. I didn't need the motorcycle lift so I sold it but used the triple hitch to mount a cargo carrier rack on the ladder side and placed my trike in it standing up with the 2 wheels strapped in the rack and the one wheel strapped to the ladder. I had an extension welded to the rack receiver hitch to lift it above the car hood so it didn't interfere with towing the car. It worked really well and I carried the trike and towed the car many miles like that.
It sounds like you are referring to something relatively light weight, like a trike version of a bicycle. The OP is referring to a motorcycle based trike that weighs about 1500 lbs. I dont think it is possible to do what you describe.

Charles
Old 09-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

HYDRALIFT makes the best motorcycle lift/carrier for motorhomes. They also have a version for Trikes. But, if one is even thinking about "carrying" a trike on the back of a coach, I'd not even think about it unless I was driving a tag axle coach. I did the Hydralift on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and, it is only a 36' coach. I hauled our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing and it worked flawlessly for over 8,000 miles and, over two years.

But, we changed our method of operation and went to towing the '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. And that truck can quickly be loaded with the Rampage lift/carrier. But, again, this is all up to the OP and his wife, which, apparently is not in favor of towing. Rampage makes Trike adapters for loading trikes in the trucks, just like the regular two wheelers.
Scott