Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I did a search and it looks like it's been awhile. I have to hold the diesel nozzle and barely depress it to keep the pump from shutting off. I saw that someone designed a wedge to put on the nozzle to allow hands-free filling. Is there anything else available to avoid "trickle-filling" a tank?

2008 Saturn Vue toad
mpatte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I did a search and it looks like it's been awhile. I have to hold the diesel nozzle and barely depress it to keep the pump from shutting off. I saw that someone designed a wedge to put on the nozzle to allow hands-free filling. Is there anything else available to avoid "trickle-filling" a tank?

2008 Saturn Vue toad
mpatte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

mpatte1
I have dual fill openings, one on each side, and have found opening the unused cap helps a lot. Also, holding the nozzle at horzinal position helps.
Hope this helps a little. LOL.

mrbojangles
mrbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I think we all have the same problem, Winnie didn't vent the tanks well.

mrbojangles is right, open the other side tank and it will help. I have also found that if you hold the nozzle in a way that makes the fuel "bend" 90 degrees coming out of the nozzle it will have less foam in it. I have yet to find a good solution for hands free fueling...

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Rudy Morris, webmaster of the Freightliner Chassis Owner's Club, has an '04 Vectra and I think he was the one that rerouted and straightened one of the fuel fills with improved results.

I am proud to claim the creative genius behind the "Fueling Wedge." Actually I don't use it very often anymore, we have started to look for RV-friendly gas stations as listed in "The Next Exit" and have had better results trying to find a low volume pump.

The slow fuel fill is one of the most annoying and most difficult issues to solve on the coach. We absolutely love our Horizon but absolutely hate the slow fill and I really wanted to see a 150 gallon tank in the Vectra/Horizon.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The slow fuel fill on Winnie products is certainly one of the most aggravating chores that has to be done. I have found that turning the nozzle in the same direction of the bend (so that the fuel is forced against the outer wall of the fuel pipe) helps. Opening the other fuel door and filler cap also helps but can result in spilled fuel from that opening if one is not careful. As John has stated above, some places to take on fuel are better than others. Generally, truck stops are the easiest to get in and out but the large nozzle and pressure of the pump will quickly overwhelm the small pipe and quirky turns of the Winnie fuel fill system. Patience patiENCE, PATIENCE...

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

For some reason or another I have not had any fueling problems, and this at varied stations. Just lucky I guess.

A word of caution on the wood wedge. It is an old truckers trick, some stations will actually have a wedge attached to the pump handle so they don't have to hold it when filling very large tanks. It is really not a great idea to use it on our smaller/restricted fuel fills. If it gets away from you you'll be wearing diesel for days.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have put the jacks down to raise the side of the coach up, also I don't stick the nozzle any farther into the fuel line than possible. I have also turned the nozzle or rotated it 180 degrees. So the handle goes up into the air instead of hanging down.

All of these have worked over the years.

I have best luck with jacks down, and nozzle just in the tube.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My 2004 36G has a slow fill rate if I insert the nozzle in all the way. I have found that if I insert the nozzle just a bit (say .5 to .75") and manually feed the fuel, I can fill at almost the full rate of a large truck pump. Fortunately, as the tank fills, it still clicks off the handle as it approaches full and no spill occurs.

It is a pain to hold the nozzle the whole time, but at the full fill rate, I am done in just a very few minutes.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

i have never had a problem if i just put the nozzel in to where it will stay there by itself and first click on handle. and it still shuts off by itself, but i don't leave it unatended.