Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 08:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Travel with guns

In June of 2023 we are leaving Michigan to travel to Alaska for vacation in our 2006 Winnebago Vectra 40 KD, Both my wife and myself have concealed carry permits for our handguns. My question is since handguns are not allowed in Canada how can we get them to Alaska?
Old 11-06-2022, 11:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here is a website you can start your research on: Guns and Canada, Alaska Department of Fish and Wildlife
Old 11-07-2022, 02:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

One option is to rent them in AK for your stay.

This specifies details of Importing or transporting firearms though Canada: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

Be advised, as of Oct.22, 2022 Canada revised all their firearms regulations. It is best to contact the Canada Border Agency directly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-07-2022, 04:28 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You have to ship them to/from Alaska if you want to have them while there. This site has the info I think you're looking for: https://alaskagunshipping.com/
Old 11-08-2022, 07:16 AM   #5
Site Team

This is a much larger and active topic on www.irv2.com. Since that site is a general RV forum and not specific to Winnebago or any other brand (our site is a spin-off of irv2) they are much more suitable to answer your question.

I’d suggest doing your research there, you’ll find not only more responses there but many responses of RVers currently in the process of traveling through to Alaska.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My question as a Canadian and senior, is why do you need to carry guns? Concealed or not?
Old 11-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #7
2016 View 24J Profile

Guns!!

I totally agree with the last post.
Why in hell do you need to have concealed guns?
Unfortunately too many people think guns are a good thing to own. Also unfortunately tens of thousands of people die because there is easy access to guns.
It’s totally insane.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkyz View Post
In June of 2023 we are leaving Michigan to travel to Alaska for vacation in our 2006 Winnebago Vectra 40 KD, Both my wife and myself have concealed carry permits for our handguns. My question is since handguns are not allowed in Canada how can we get them to Alaska?
You cannot carry handguns through Canada because ... well, it is Canada, and not the US, so your 2nd Amendment rights do not apply there. You will have to ship them to AK, and then ship them back to the US, or store them somewhere in the US. You can sometimes arrange to carry a long gun through Canada ... or at least you used to be able to ... by getting the paperwork filed ahead of time before reaching the border.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
I totally agree with the last post.
Why in hell do you need to have concealed guns?
Unfortunately too many people think guns are a good thing to own. Also unfortunately tens of thousands of people die because there is easy access to guns.
It’s totally insane.

I will not get into the merits of or enter into debate on the topic but your reply is noted. It appears in the state they live in its legal, in Canada it's not. Thus your editorial comment is irrelevant.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Immaterial

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lgdterrier View Post
My question as a Canadian and senior, is why do you need to carry guns? Concealed or not?

My answer as an American and a senior, is that your question is immaterial since he won't/can't conceal carry in Canada.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:18 PM   #11
1996 Itasca 29Q

Whatever you do, don't try to sneak them across the border, if you get caught the penalties can be severe, the least being banned from entering Canada!
Old 11-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
You cannot carry handguns through Canada because ... well, it is Canada, and not the US, so your 2nd Amendment rights do not apply there. You will have to ship them to AK, and then ship them back to the US, or store them somewhere in the US. You can sometimes arrange to carry a long gun through Canada ... or at least you used to be able to ... by getting the paperwork filed ahead of time before reaching the border.

You can transport handguns through Canada, but definitely not carry them. But they are restricted and must have a barrel at least 4 1/8" long. I have one pistol and a few revolvers that meet that limit, but none of them are guns that I'd want to try to CC once I got to AK. One in particular I wouldn't mind having handy if I was salmon fishing with bears nearby.

The link I posted above has detailed instructions for mailing your firearms to yourself, C/O the store in Tok, AK. If you really want to have your own CCW while in AK, the only other real option would be paying thousands of $$ to load your MH and toad on a ferry from WA.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

You need to read and understand my question. I’m guessing you are a gun person.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:33 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

If that's intended for me: No, I don't need to do anything other than ignore you. The OP asked a question that I'm trying to provide an answer for.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:43 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

There are two parts to my response:

1. While shipping your firearm(s) to Alaska seems to be the logical answer, assuming they can't be "carried" through Canada, there may be a new issue. The last I read is that all of the common carriers (FedEx, UPS, USPS) have all said they will no longer ship firearms. You may want to check it out.
I had a problem several years ago trying to ship a disassembled firearm back to the manufacturer for repair. It's only gotten worse since then.

2. I never understand the need to explain to a US citizen why I, also a US citizen, want or feel the need to own and/or carry a firearm. I wouldn't deign to answer it to someone from a Communist country. My answer is always the same, "if you don't like them, don't buy one!"
Old 11-21-2022, 07:16 AM   #16
Site Team

Folks, this is obviously a hot button topic… so let’s not post “gun politics” pressing that hot button in other posters.

If posters can’t stay on topic they should avoid posting in this thread.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:44 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

This link has some specific information and example shipping labels for USPS and UPS, but they will refuse a FedEx shipment. If you use UPS you can ship it yourself and not go through an FFL, but it costs more and can take longer. This outfit has been doing this for a long time and is very familiar with the process, I'm guessing they handle more mailed firearms than about any other store it the country.

https://alaskagunshipping.com/example-label/
Old 11-22-2022, 09:54 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Empathetic with Wyocamper -

If you overnight at rest-stops or box stores, being prepared for drug-induced aggressive homo-sapiens is equally sagacious as it is for ursidaes (bears).

After crossing the Washington/ Idaho, Montana USA/British Columbia/Alberta border on several occasions, I have learned that:

1. It is easier to separate you and the firearms the USA then rejoin them in Canada/Alaska.
2. After being detained several hours and threatened with arrest, I paid a $300 cash fine (How much do you have in your wallet? - What's the limit on your credit card?) and surrendered a lipstick sized pepper spray canister that my wife carried in her purse.

There are "Shedboy" methods of firearm transit on west coast, may or may not apply to you, get insurance on your parcels, if possible.

Conventional
1. Connect with big-game guides in Canada for long-gun transport info.
2. Commercial aircraft from Seattle, Bellingham WA often accept freight, multiple flights from Regan International to various AK cities..

Unconventional
1. Greyhound bus freight
2. Washington State Ferries, Seattle or Bellingham to AK
3. Private aircraft, fixed wing or float plane, many private airports have bulletin boards for peer-to-peer communication.
4. Private yachts/fishing fleet - NW marinas have bulletin boards
5. Ex military? Have a military family member? Military base to military base transport.
6. There are long stretches of parallel, flat 2 lane highways in WA, ID, MT, one on the US side, one on the BC/Al side without barriers between. I have never tried it but have noticed many tire tracks across the median. Several appear to be connected with agricultural/cattle range use.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:16 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I guess we can start a new thread, but this makes me think of our journey through Canada next summer - part of our year long Grand Adventure that we are 5 months into...

So momentarily hijacking the thread to talk about Cannabis!

Can we bring our legally bought in the US Cannabis into the land of legal weed? And can we return to the US with whatever medicine we buy in Canada legally?
Old 11-22-2022, 12:03 PM   #20
Site Team

And, on that note I think it's best to close this thread.

I'm confident the internet has dozens of places better suited to discuss guns and cannabis travel restrictions.

These kinds of hot button topics are divisive on forums that don't cater to these kinds of subject - just like we don't allow politics or religion discussion.

So... now back to our regularly scheduled RV discussions.
Closed Thread

Tags
travel