Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tracking a delivery

Is there anyway to track the delivery of a Winnebago motorhome from factory to a dealer with a VIN or order number?

My unit is PDI complete and should have been delivered already, yet my dealer says he has no status on where it is or when it will be delivered and it’s the hands of the delivery company. Hmmm

This same franchise has some BBB complaints about selling units to walk in customers willing to pay more than a previously negotiated a price with the ordering customer
37NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't think WBGO has any such tracking. Even after it's finished with PDI at the factory someone has to drive it to the dealer. That doesn't always happen immediately as there may not be a driver available. I believe the drivers are all independent contractors or 3rd party operators.

I was at a small Winnebago dealership one day when two motorhomes came in. The drivers were just a couple of guys, pulling their own cars behind the motor homes and had been driving from Iowa to south Texas in 2 1/2 days. The guy I talked to said he got paid by the mile and he had to pay all the expenses himself. He said he slept at rest areas in his car and was not permitted to use the RVs bed or bathroom. He liked the freedom of the job.

Newmar has a factory pickup program. It costs the buyer over $4,000 to be able to pick up your own RV. Many gladly pay it - Newmar finishes the coach and then keeps it for a full month with a team of workers going over ever little detail to make it perfect. Then when you pick it up you spend a full week (!) with one Tech going over everything. Adjusting things. Adding electronic equipment. Fixing any problems you find. Plus you get to be responsible for just about every mile put on your RV.

It would be nice if Winnebago picked up that idea from their Newmar division.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I used to work with a fellow who did this sort of thing as a side job, only with boats. He liked driving and it got him to lots of new places but he never knew where or when, so he had to be ready to jump up and go.
I can see that things would be terribly messed up on getting folks to do that sort of travel at this time with the virus and constant changes going on.
I just got word that a vital part is expected to take 10 days to get here from CA, so getting an RV moved may be a real challenge.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
2022 Travato 59KL

Have you called Winnebago customer service?
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
Have you called Winnebago customer service?
No, but I will if I don’t hear something shortly
Old 03-21-2021, 06:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Here’s my two cents. Any dealers who are found to be selling any unit that is sold and has been PDI’d and landed on site and then sold to a walk up should lose their dealer license and looked into for fraud.
Dave V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave V. View Post
Here’s my two cents. Any dealers who are found to be selling any unit that is sold and has been PDI’d and landed on site and then sold to a walk up should lose their dealer license and looked into for fraud.
Fully agree with this thinking but when I look around at all the things that are fully against the law and ignored, I won't be holding my breathe on this one. I still get twenty calls a day from scammers and telemarketing folks doing robocalls!
Old 03-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well it showed up, and even did a preliminary walkthrough with delivery inspection, demo, and closing scheduled Tues morning.

The salesperson actually said to me I’m surprised they can still sell it to you at the price we agreed to because Winnebago has raised the price on the View.?!? I responded it’s because what we negotiated 5 months ago, l put a large deposit down, you signed a sales agreement and it was ordered based on the price at the time.

If they try any nonsense at the closing it’s going to get real sporty. With deliveries running 6-7 months on ordered units I’m sure they’d love to have me walk and sell it off the lot for a lot more than I negotiated.

Keeping my powder dry, but I had no idea RV dealers were like slimy used car dealers of 50! yrs ago. Giving me a really bad taste for the industry and I hate to feel this mistrustful and suspicious on what should be a happy occasion
Old 03-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #9
2022 Travato 59KL

After you close can you tell us the dealer or at least the state?
Thanks.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

It's okay for them to say they are surprised, just as long as they stop there and don't try to redo the sale! I once had a deal with a Chevy dealer in Springfield, Mo that took the check for the deal and then wanted to tack on a fee for the "paperwork"!
When they found the deal was going down over the $75-100 fee, they then stalled and drug their feet while they had to "locate" the keys to our trade-in! That was back before everyone carried a phone in their pocket and they slowed us down for a half hour or so
just being a bunch of creeps.
Just to show how happy we were with the sale, I managed to spill a gallon can of gas in the back seat as I unloaded!
Old 03-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #11

I am having the same issue. My MH was completed on 25 Feb and moved to the transportation lot. Since then no word. Called WI Customer Service and was overwhelmed by the ignorance of the operator. I asked for the transportation manager or logistics and was told they have no one at the factory. Was given the number of a regional rep in my state (PA) that told me "No One at the Company" has visibility. They turn them over to a contractor, Bennett Transportation. Regional rep had no answers, no phone numbers and would not contact Bennett. I cancelled my order and asked for my deposit back immediately. No wonder the Chinese are killing us. They can track a model train from Wuhan to Philadelphia but Winnebago can't even find an RV in their own transportation yard. Of course they blame COVID, the excuse for lazy people to do even less and stupid people to move up into management. Adios Winnebago!!
BedouinBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedouinBert View Post
I am having the same issue. My MH was completed on 25 Feb and moved to the transportation lot. Since then no word. Called WI Customer Service and was overwhelmed by the ignorance of the operator. I asked for the transportation manager or logistics and was told they have no one at the factory. Was given the number of a regional rep in my state (PA) that told me "No One at the Company" has visibility. They turn them over to a contractor, Bennett Transportation. Regional rep had no answers, no phone numbers and would not contact Bennett. I cancelled my order and asked for my deposit back immediately. No wonder the Chinese are killing us. They can track a model train from Wuhan to Philadelphia but Winnebago can't even find an RV in their own transportation yard. Of course they blame COVID, the excuse for lazy people to do even less and stupid people to move up into management. Adios Winnebago!!
In my case it was basically a 2 week black hole they had no idea where a $190K MSRP product was. Neither WB nor the dealer knew where the unit was until the driver called and said he’d be delivering the next day. I suspect it was more lawyer mandated can’t say rather don’t know in case they decide to divert a unit to another dealer and don’t want to be exposed. I can’t believe their inventory management is actually that lose
Old 03-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #13

Oh yes. I am sure that my MH was transported someplace else. No company loses track of a $50,000+ asset for six weeks. I asked for the VIN and build sheet a month ago for insurance and financial purposes and never heard back. It supposedly "Had My Name on It" as it came down the line and all that happy "talk". Years ago, before computers, email, websites and instant communication, I bought a custom car. Before it was half way down the line I had the VIN and window sticker so Winnebago is not being honest with customers or dealers. As long as they think we're stupid, they'll keep doing it. Glad you received yours. We'll get over the disappointment caused by this scumbag factory crew and take a cruise instead. Happy Camping!!
BedouinBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37NG View Post
I suspect it was more lawyer mandated can’t say rather don’t know in case they decide to divert a unit to another dealer and don’t want to be exposed. I can’t believe their inventory management is actually that lose
RV deliveries are at an all time high. There are only so many folks doing the deliveries. It's not Fedex or UPS. The units are completed and put in a big parking lot. Drivers show up... or not... based on their schedules not Winnebago's or yours. They drive them from far northern Iowa to wherever your dealer is on their schedule not Winnebago's, not the dealers, nor yours.

Imagining a fleet of professional drivers working for Winnebago moving your motorhome like UPS is just not realistic.

Retired guys, unemployed guys, couples without a job. Those are the folks delivering travel trailers and motorhomes to places all over the country. Again, on THEIR schedules not on anybody else's. There is no "delivery date." There is only "can you take this thing to X?"
Old 03-22-2021, 07:00 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedouinBert View Post
We'll get over the disappointment caused by this scumbag factory crew and take a cruise instead.
FYI, there is no "factory crew" it's a company contracted to deliver products. It's retired folks looking for something to do and some extra money or unemployed folks that need a job. They don't work for Winnebago and Winnebago doesn't know them or keep track of them. Or even where they are at any given day during the delivery. It's not a toaster from Amazon. It doesn't have a tracking number. It's a guy eating peanut butter sandwiches behind the wheel as he drives trying to get to your dealer so he can collect his money for the delivery.

Did anyone give you a guaranteed delivery date?

But it sounds like you'll be happy to not have the RV you've waited months for and the dealer will be happy to sell it to a grateful customer for a higher price because it's available right now.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:14 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Well took delivery, no funny financial funny business I was expecting based on reviews and complaints. The walkthrough was less than expected and they acted like they had another delivery to rush to. Should have just said here are the must knows and read all the manuals and get back with us if you have questions. Finance guy tried to sell us Tire wheel package saying no spare overall far more pleasant than expected even if short on some items
Old 03-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Had a similar experience. Made a couple small trips and took it back for warranty issues. The tech that worked on my TT was fabulous with my walk through and showed us everything and answered all my questions professionally.
Our initial so called walk through was a joke.
Get out there and enjoy your trailer ❗️
Dave V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37NG View Post
Well took delivery, no funny financial funny business I was expecting based on reviews and complaints. The walkthrough was less than expected and they acted like they had another delivery to rush to. Should have just said here are the must knows and read all the manuals and get back with us if you have questions. Finance guy tried to sell us Tire wheel package saying no spare overall far more pleasant than expected even if short on some items
Dealers would never risk selling an already sold unt to another buyer. The legal penalty would dwarf whatever the extra profit they might have gotten. I think your salesperson was just greasing you, so you would feel real good about the deal you negotiated, and therefore less likely to drop out of the deal. If you were to cancel the deal, the salesperson would lose his commission. Just a head trip.