Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
The STS sensors have an anti-theft feature that requires use of a small tool device to install and remove the sensors. The added length and circumference of this tool, (its approximately 1 inch longer than sensor and requires a ¾ inch space to the side for tool removal/installation of tool), complicates installation slightly.
I read a statement by Dan Covington of TST in another thread that it is acceptable to put a few drops of glue on the sensors so that the anti-theaft feature is disabled so that the sensors can be put on by hand when there isn't room for their tool. Dan said this would not void the warranty on the sensors.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to PugPug
Has anyone had to replace their rubber valve stems using the 507 system sensors? I know the 510s have a heavier sensor and it is advisable to change to metal valve stems but I am hoping a 507s lighter sensors won't require replacing the stems. Please advise.
PugPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #23
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugPug View Post
Has anyone had to replace their rubber valve stems using the 507 system sensors? I know the 510s have a heavier sensor and it is advisable to change to metal valve stems but I am hoping a 507s lighter sensors won't require replacing the stems. Please advise.
PugPug, I'm running 507s and I have not replaced the rubber valve stems on my car. The MH had metal valve stems.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugPug View Post
I just replaced the valve stems on my Featherlite trailer yesterday for my TST 507 sensors. I've ran sensors for a year on my trailer tires with no problems. I ran sensors for the Hopkins TPMS and more recently sensors for the TST 507 TPMS. I don't know if the sensors would have ever caused a problem but now I don't have to worry about a flat tire in the middle of no where caused by the weight of a sensor. We are planning a trip from Washington State to Southern California after Christmas.

The valve stems on my MH are already metal.

New valve stems installed in my trailer's four tires cost me $50.00 at Les Schwab Tire Center.

Good luck.

JD
Old 12-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

@Yellowboat - out of curiosity, what brand was the Camping World TPMS?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
@Yellowboat - out of curiosity, what brand was the Camping World TPMS?
It was a Hopkins nVision TPMS.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I have the TST-510 system and really like it - with one exception. Taking the sensors off to adjust the air pressure is a real hassle. The sensors are just big enough that they are very difficult to remove and replace unless you use valve stem extenders long enough to extend them past the wheel. That can require a pretty long extender on a dualie and I wonder about the centrifigual stress on the stems. That said, the system works well and I've learned the importance of monitoring and adjusting air pressure as we change locations (ambient air temp & altitude) which effects cold inflation pressure to a great degree. Much greater than I ever imagined. I'd like to think that, by maintaining my pressures closer to optimal, I'm both increasing the life on my very expensive tires and guarding against failure.

So, how about it TPMS manufacturers? Can't you design a system that allows us adjust pressure without removing the sensor and without the mass of a system like the Tire-Safeguard?
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
So, how about it TPMS manufacturers? Can't you design a system that allows us adjust pressure without removing the sensor and without the mass of a system like the Tire-Safeguard?
The technology has been available however you have to break the tire down and install the sensor/transmitter inside the tire. These systems I understand run more money and if you have a problem with the sensor, you'll have to break down the tire.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I agree, IMHO, the ideal valve stem sensor would be flow through like Tire Safeguard but be lighter and smaller and also have replaceable batteries
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote