Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

To paint or not to paint...that is the question.

Looking at Class A (Vista LX) or maybe Aspect Class C units. Is the paint option worth the high price? Anyone with the "infused" color regret not getting full paint? I guess the graphics are painted on the full body paint units and decals on the "infused" colors.
Opinions?? Thanks.
elks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I guess it depends on how long you intend to keep the rig, how you store it, and the cost of full body paint. We are on our second Safari TREK, albeit a 1999. These always came with full body paint and clearcoat, and I would never have a unit without this feature compared to vinyl graphics that will peel sooner or later. Of course, the paint designs in 1999 were simpler than what passes for customer desire in 2016, so the cost for the current trend of endless, multicolored, swoops and swirls is likely higher. That said, apparently lots of customers like this stuff, or the manufacturers think they do. I wonder what would be the cost of a really simple design for full body paint and clearcoat.

Full disclosure: my opinion only, yours may differ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elks View Post
Looking at Class A (Vista LX) or maybe Aspect Class C units. Is the paint option worth the high price? Anyone with the "infused" color regret not getting full paint? I guess the graphics are painted on the full body paint units and decals on the "infused" colors.
Opinions?? Thanks.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The vinyl does tend to weather and crack over time, but for me, that's not an issue because if and when it becomes time to change it, and that depends on too many factors (weather wise) to predict, but likely years and years, I'll just go down to Mexico and have the talented painters down there replace the vinyl with automotive paint. It's extraordinarily economical compared to US paint shops.

So IMO, save the money and go with the low cost version. Put it in the bank or your retirement account. Let it work for you.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Opinions?? Thanks.
As mentioned it depends on how long you intend to keep the coach, where it's stored, and what kind of use it will get.

Our 2001 Adventurer had the vinyl graphics. It was stored inside when not in use, and had well over 100,000 miles on it when we traded it in on our 2013 Adventurer. When we traded it in it looked as good as the day we bought it.

Friends of ours had the same year Adventurer that was stored out doors without a cover. It took about 6 years for the graphics to deteriorate to the point that they were faded and peeling at the edges.

A few caveats however. We had to have a window resealed in about 2008. When the service department removed the window they tore a graphic. They were no longer being manufactured so they removed the entire graphic and painted the area the same colors and shape as the graphic.

The graphics are only manufactured during the year the motorhome is manufactured. Any available after that time are from new old stock. That means if you need a graphic 5 or 10 years down the road, if it is available, it will be the same age as the coach. It will have old adhesive that may or may not be fresh enough to adhere to the coach. It will certainly not be the same color as the slightly faded ones still in place.

Our 2013 Adventurer has full body paint. It is much easier to keep clean and will not yellow or fade in the sun. The downside is that the quality of the paint job is nothing like the one on your car. Since it's done after the coach is completely assembled any parts that are partially covered are not painted. Also the paint is applied in several stages. The first colors applied have to be masked over when the following colors are applied. This makes seams between the color layers that have to be buffed smooth. They doo a nice job, but it isn't the same as a car body that is painted prior to assembly.

Also any scratches have to be repaired with matching paint. I for one don't seem to be able to make a the repainted area seamless or invisible.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Opinions?? Thanks.
I have owned both.

We had a 2007 Sightseer that was not painted and had the graphic decals on it. We ordered it that way.

It spent 4 to 5 months indoors depending on the winter and the balance of time outdoors.

The end caps and the plastic wheel well covers oxidized and changed to a slightly different color over time. It wasn't horrible but it was noticeable.

Because the majority of our rig was white I was always cleaning black streaks off of it.

Our new 2016 Forza has full body paint. We have had it just over a year.

Because it is a darker color it doesn't show the streaks near as bad.

We have also learned how to clean it with the water less washes on the market which allow us to keep it clean more frequently.

I have been told that having full body paint will increase your resale/trade-in value. I think it will almost cover what you pay for it originally. I know in our case when we traded the 2007 in the additional trade-in vale would have covered what we would have paid for it when we originally bought the coach.

I can tell you that we enjoyed our Sightseer very much and had no regrets but if I could have gone back I would have opted for paint instead of graphics.

The cost of the paint option should be negotiable. There is over a 100% mark up on this option so I would negotiate hard on it.

I hope this helps.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:07 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I have no paint. I did however see a similar View painted. WOW what a great paint job. The cost of paint was $8,000 and included a cover for the awning. I was told it wouldn't have a great impact on resale so I passed on it.

The newer models have a tan gel coat and not the older pure white. This gives an appearance of paint.

I guess if you get the paint in the long run you will get a higher resale so it's a wash.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

In May 15 my dealer offered me one with paint for 1000 more than a one with out. My wife said get the paint, it looks better.
KH
2015 View G

Tags
paint