Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tinted Windows in RV?

Our Minnie Winnie has plain glass windows. We live int he desert and travel a lot in the SW. I'm thinking it would make sense to get all the windows tinted to block UV, and maybe even reflective type in the house portion so no one can see in?

And yet, I can't recall seeing many RVs with dark or mirrored windows??

Comments?
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

ours as dual pane windows and they have a tint in them so go for it. Its a 12 aspect but like everything else dont go overboard with too dark as you will limit what you can see. We have seen a lot with tinted windows out here. You can go with a light tint and add privacy screens yet still see out.

When we came back from 1st trip, we took the rv to a tint shop had them do the cab windows and then add a 6 inch stripe on the windshield. HELPS a lot.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Reflective windows often work in reverse at night--you can't see out but others can see in. Also, reflections do cause heat and can cause fires.

I don't see any issue with tinting as long as you don't overdo it.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Good advice. I see that the mirror film, works a bit in reverse at night! Not good.

I think we'll go for a standard kind of UV tint - not limo, but medium, like we have in the cars.

Good stuff - thanks all!
Old 08-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Some time ago we took our Fuse to one of the local window tinting locations to get an estimate for doing only the cab side windows, and the estimate was about $600. Adding the windshield was quite a bit more and we have not yet had it done.

However one of the things we found out is that you can get the clear UV protection which blocks the heat and UV rays, but does not cut down noticeably on your ability to see out the windows. When I have this done (and I think I will) I will get the clear and not the tinted protection.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Some time ago we took our Fuse to one of the local window tinting locations to get an estimate for doing only the cab side windows, and the estimate was about $600. Adding the windshield was quite a bit more and we have not yet had it done.

WOWZA - - $600!

I have all my cars done when we get them, and the most I paid - -for a Suburban - was $250 for all the way around and including a brow on the windshield. $600 sounds like crazy money!

I will be taking my Ford/Winnie in and I expect to pay maybe $300 for the cab and RV all in.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Back to windows.........
We just got back from disassembling the shade/valence stuff on all the house windows. Ours had those day/night corded and pleated shades that always seem to be a mess after some years. Our unit is a 2004, and three of those had been ripped out leaving the head stock, and 2 of them barely worked at all. So, we are going with fabric roll shades as the replacement all around.

I removed all the valences - and here is something that I wish RV makers would be more judicious about. When they make those valances all fluffy and wrpped in ribbions and curls and wads of loose fuzzy fabric - they are creating massive dirt traps.

I will strip them all down, and recover with nice modern sleek fabric. I will say this - Winnebago does a good job of mounting things with PROPER size screw going into proper wood, and all the screws are accessible. I had a Teton 5th wheel where each valence was mounted with 16 HIDDEN screw, and the screw heads were actually filled with silicon caulk at the factory! Nuts!

Step by step..........
Old 08-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
WOWZA - - $600!

I have all my cars done when we get them, and the most I paid - -for a Suburban - was $250 for all the way around and including a brow on the windshield. $600 sounds like crazy money!

I will be taking my Ford/Winnie in and I expect to pay maybe $300 for the cab and RV all in.
Where did you get this done?

I waited because I considered $600 to be way too much, but I have not found anyplace significantly less expensive.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Palm Springs Glass and Tinting is where I get all my cars done. I have not made the appointment yet for the Winnie though. Maybe there is some odd reason it would coast more, but I can't think of what it would be?
Good luck! Heck of a drive though!
Old 08-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Palm Springs Glass and Tinting is where I get all my cars done. I have not made the appointment yet for the Winnie though. Maybe there is some odd reason it would coast more, but I can't think of what it would be?
Good luck! Heck of a drive though!
Is it just tinting? Or is it also UV protection?

I don't really care about tinting itself. I want to stop the buildup of heat inside the cab from the sun, and I think UV protection is the best way to do that.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Is it just tinting? Or is it also UV protection?

I don't really care about tinting itself. I want to stop the buildup of heat inside the cab from the sun, and I think UV protection is the best way to do that.
It's UV protection and slight smoky tint. I think it blocks like 90% of UV.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Maybe there is some odd reason it would coast more, but I can't think of what it would be?
When I asked why it was so much more than for cars I was told that the expanse of glass in the Ford Transit chassis was much larger than for any car and that it was correspondingly more expensive.

Personally I think it is just as likely that the real reason is that they make the assumption that anyone who owns an RV has the money to pay, so they charge them accordingly.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I can't recall seeing many RVs with dark or mirrored windows?? Comments?
Not sure about now, but in the past the big Winnies all came from the factory with some of the darkest tinted windows in the industry. Virtually impossible to see inside those side windows during the daytime. We love ours.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

AJ mike come on down to tucson from up in east LA. The shops here are pretty cheap and do good job. I had the door windows and the windshield done and it was less than $200 as I recall. Had the windshield replaced and went to get the tint installed and paid about $30 for it.

several places here worth going to.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Just be mindful that as we age window tint becomes less advisable due to our lowered ability to see when its dark or overcast outside. Many have resorted to putting laser like headlamp bulbs on their vehicles to overcome the problems that window tinting has caused them so caution is advisable if considering this.

The windshield and side windows in my coach are about 6 times larger than those in an automobile so yes it should cost quite a bit more to put tint on them however the standard Winnebago Tint Band at the top is really sufficient for driving without causing vision issues when its dark or cloudy. My 2001 already has thermopane side windows in the cab so adding tint to them would increase the heat build up between the panes and also increase the failure rate of the thermopane glass. The rest of the coach already has sunscreen thermopane glass.

When camping to deal with heat from the cab the best solution is sunshades setup over the windshield and side windows from the outside. There are a number of vendors that make these up and the attachment method used by the better ones makes it so you don't need a ladder to put them up when you need them.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:18 PM   #16
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Tinting Window Thresholds

Quote:
Our Minnie Winnie has plain glass windows. We live int he desert and travel a lot in the SW. I'm thinking it would make sense to get all the windows tinted to block UV, and maybe even reflective type in the house portion so no one can see in?

And yet, I can't recall seeing many RVs with dark or mirrored windows??

Comments?
Ok, so I’m not sure that I completely understand your question. But here’s what I’ll contribute.

On our RV, all of the coach windows came tinted—none are mirrored—but it’s IN the glass, not aftermarket.

It’s great for cutting down on heat, and outside unwanted visibility—except at night—when if you’re interior lights are on, anyone can still see in easily—all bets are off on privacy.

Now, the front driver and passenger windows must pass your state’s muster, for allowable tint level.

I’ve NEVER heard of ANY state allowing tinting the windshield.

States like Arizona, have very gracious thresholds (due to the extreme heat). However, it’s best to check your state’s allowable limits, and UNDERSTAND, that when you travel outside of that state, another more onerous state’s laws might get you pulled over, when tinting the driver and passenger windows. That said, I’F you’re vehicle is REGISTERED in Arizona, for example, you’ll probably get off. But, the trouper might check your driver’s license address...

Here’s a link to MCD shades, they are used on many newer RV’s. they have a two shade level options, should you choose. One to block out driving sunset distractions, or the second side to block out all light.

The #1 RV Roller Shades Manufacturer | MCD Innovations

Here’s a link, to various allowable tiny levels, based upon YOUR state.
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/glass-window-tinting/
Old 08-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank857 View Post
AJ mike come on down to tucson from up in east LA. The shops here are pretty cheap and do good job. I had the door windows and the windshield done and it was less than $200 as I recall. Had the windshield replaced and went to get the tint installed and paid about $30 for it.

several places here worth going to.
That sounds like a good idea. Do you have any location names?
Old 08-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Just be mindful that as we age window tint becomes less advisable due to our lowered ability to see when its dark or overcast outside.
As for myself, all I want to do is to reduce the heat load from the sun when driving. Once the sun gets high enough in the sky the heat on my legs starts to bother me when I am driving and I end up having to put a towel or other covering over my legs to block the sun and heat. Part of that is because I wear short pants when driving, but that is related to the heat where I live in Arizona. I expect that if I wore long pants I would still feel the heat build-up when the sun is shining through the side window or windshield.

When we went to the tinting shop and got prices the only after-market installation I was interested in was the clear one. It blocked UV and heat, but left the window as clear as before the tinting.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Individual states and the federal government have laws about tinting. Naturally, as you travel across state lines, each state has the right to enforce their tinting laws on your vehicle.

Here from the AAA
The tinting must allow a light transmission of at least 35%. All other windows must have a light transmission of 35%, but vehicles measured to have a light transmission of at least 32% will be presumed to meet the standard. All windows must have a light reflectance of 20% or less.

Other thoughts, tinting might be nice in bright light, when driving at night when you need all the light you can get, tint affects your ability to see walkers and other non-lite objects, and reduces rear view mirror vision, as well. Also nothing says you need to tint the whole window, and doing the top 1/4 still has much affect. And if it's high enough up, it won't reduce side mirror vision.

Also, law enforcement has been known to stop vehicles with very dark windows, and check their oplicity, much like the broken tail light stop. And for the same group of reasons.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window