Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Three little "home improvement" projects are now posted on our web site. Click on the Miscellaneous Modifications link.

I don't know about your drivers floor mat, but ours wasn't anchored down and wound up travelling almost as much as the coach did. I found a easy and low cost way to stick the thing down. It did great on a recently completed 2,000 mile trip!

The laptop that we use for navigation and the VMSpc engine display used to be powered by a 75 watt cigarette-lighter powered inverter. That is a bit inefficient so I wanted to power it from the AC outlet that is under the overhead dash cabinets. Ten minutes of time and the trim pillar was removed, the AC cord was taped down to the metal cab frame, and the trim piece was replaced. The cord has almost no chance of chafe and I am comfortable with the AC cord running up the pillar.

Lastly is the giant among little things... my slide-out trash bin instead of the loose one supplied by Winnie. Love it-love it!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Three little "home improvement" projects are now posted on our web site. Click on the Miscellaneous Modifications link.

I don't know about your drivers floor mat, but ours wasn't anchored down and wound up travelling almost as much as the coach did. I found a easy and low cost way to stick the thing down. It did great on a recently completed 2,000 mile trip!

The laptop that we use for navigation and the VMSpc engine display used to be powered by a 75 watt cigarette-lighter powered inverter. That is a bit inefficient so I wanted to power it from the AC outlet that is under the overhead dash cabinets. Ten minutes of time and the trim pillar was removed, the AC cord was taped down to the metal cab frame, and the trim piece was replaced. The cord has almost no chance of chafe and I am comfortable with the AC cord running up the pillar.

Lastly is the giant among little things... my slide-out trash bin instead of the loose one supplied by Winnie. Love it-love it!

Old 11-02-2005, 02:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Another fine job John! You just don't know how much I look forward to seeing your updates and additions to your MH. Keep up the great work.

Although my "older" Adventurer doesn't have a hot 110v outlet when underway, (unless running the gen), I can use your idea for the 12v-110v inverter as I have a 12v outlet on the tv antenna power booster. This way the outlet on the dash can be used for my brake buddy.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Another great job John!
As my "older" Adventurer doesn't have a hot 110v outlet while underway, (unless running the gen), I can still use your idea though to power the inverter as I do have a 12v outlet on the tv antenna booster. Not knowing how much load the 12v outlet on the dash will handle before blowing a fuse, I was a little concerned on plugging in the inverter and the Brake Buddy signal light into the same 12v outlet. Hopefully these two 12v outlets are not on the same circuit.
Keep us posted on other projects. You have a very large following.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

John,

Did you ever hook up the PressurePro system to your toad? If so, did you need the external antenna? If so, where did you mount it and where did you run the coax?

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi James,

Yes, we do have the PressurePro for the coach and toad. As advised by the dealer, we tried the system with just the short ducky antenna (before we had the toad hooked up)and it would occasionally drop out a rear tire sensor.

I bought the external antenna and just laid the coax & antenna behind the sofa. The antenna just hangs down the aft end and behind the sofa. This is a very clunkey install and you won't see any pictures of it. I have to position the wire each time we move the slide in and out. Improving this install is one of the next things on the to-do list.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

John, if you keep up posting these Mods, my wife won't let me read your posts anymore. (Keep up the good work, I'll check when she's not looking). By the way, did you ever relocate your echo charger in the front compartment?

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Very nice John!!! Now...if you will just do some brainstorming and figure out how to find room for and install a glovebox on the co-pilot's side, that Itasca somehow didn't think to put in the dash, for those of us that need a place to store stuff during our stay in the co-pilot seat! Go figure!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bill j:
John, if you keep up posting these Mods, my wife won't let me read your posts anymore. (Keep up the good work, I'll check when she's not looking). By the way, did you ever relocate your echo charger in the front compartment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bill - the Echo~Charge is very happy in the orignal mounting location. BTW, the chassis baatteries have never dropped below 13 volts (I do need to check the battery water though.) The Xantrex R200 inverter has performed admirably for all of the recent 2,000mile trip. It was powering the Tivo, refrig, laptop, microwave, etc. Even when switching back and forth from shore power, no digital clock misses a beat thanks to the fast transfer.

I recentled emailed your wife and suggested now that the grass has stopped growing, you would be freed up for RV projects

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeanne M.:
Very nice John!!! Now...if you will just do some brainstorming and figure out how to find room for and install a glovebox on the co-pilot's side, that Itasca somehow didn't think to put in the dash, for those of us that need a place to store stuff during our stay in the co-pilot seat! Go figure! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It would be nice to have a little cubbyhole or something like that. Actually you have given me an idea On the boat we used to have, we had a very similar space issue - too much stuff and not enough room to store it in a handy place. I might do a canvas bag with pockets that hangs down from the dash for glasses, cell phone, map, paper/pencil.

When the co-pilot seat is all the way back, my feet want to rest on the dash. There is not quite enough room for my short legs to clear the dash ith the foot rest up. I might combine a dash protector with a storage bag. This will be a winter project!

Old 11-03-2005, 07:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

HA! No grass around here John, nearest is being smoked by the hippies in Wickenburg. did just complete changing out my Winegard AS2003 for the new Winegard Movin'View 3500A.(Dome) Easy job. Next job is finding the jumper wire buried under the dash that goes to the ICC light relay. My rig is a Jan 04 without the smart wheel. According to the schematics there is a wire run with a jumper installed, that would normally go to the smart wheel.

Something new to make up for the lack of grass.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote