Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

There HAS To Be A Better Way To RV Than THIS!

Just returned from a 1300 mile bone crushing, brain scrambling, kidney killing, trip in my '04 E/450 Minnie Winnie. I am utterly disgusted with my purchase, and the money I sunk into getting it ready.

Our trip was from SoCal desert up through Las Vegas, into Utah across to Arizona, back down to home. It was the most horrendous vehicle ride of my life. Of course the roads in the West are broken down and horrible, with maybe Utah being a slight grade above the others, but I had no idea my Class C would essentially ride like the road was railroad ties for about 90% of the trip. I'm not sure any of my bones are still connected!

About 150 miles of the trip was on smooth roads, and the ride on those few perfect miles is smooth as silk. But, the other 1000 miles is on "normal" roads of the west, and the ride is so brutally rough, I considered leaving it on the side of the road and walking home. BANG! BANG! BANG! for mile after mile after mile. Nope - -not dirt roads, not gravel roads, but Interstates and US and state highways. All main roads in the west - I-10, I-15, I-40, I-17, US95, US89, etc.

My previous RVing was towing an Airstream with a Suburban for many thousands of miles in the west, and never experienced such brutal ride on any road.

My rig: '04 Minnie 29. Brand new Michelin XPS Rib tires, new Bilstein shocks all around, new Hellwig sway bars. I can't imagine how anyone would want to RV in this kind of rig, so maybe something is horribly wrong with my rig?? But what could it be?

If this is all there is to Class C, I'm getting rid of it right away and go back to a travel trailer.

I don't know a whole lot about suspension designs, but I can't believe this is what people are driving?

What could be wrong here?
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

It's an RV built on a truck chassis. You don't get a decent ride till you upgrade to a pusher. That is from my own personal experience owning many different rigs. Even the Class A gas rigs ride rough.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Decades ago there were air suspension seats. Others here might be able to tell you if those still exist.

But yeah, as Ranger Smith notes, you're not going to get the same ride out of a one-ton or higher truck suspension as you would a Suburban.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Have you checked your tire pressure? Mine was like that on the way home after I bought it. Sticker says 82 psi, the tires were set to 95. They warmed up to well over 115 and rode like rocks. Every little crack in the pavement was bone jarring.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My rated pressure is 65 front, 80 rear, and that is what I am using right now.

As to my seat, well, I guess a better seat would help, but the CRASH!, BANG! SLAM! for hours on end, and all the internal rattling, shaking, vibrating, shuddering, clanging, is mind numbing to me.

Is there anything like an "air suspension" possible?
Old 09-24-2020, 11:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had an experience similar to wyocamper. Just before leaving on our shakedown trip in our new to us 2016 Minnie Winnie I checked the tire pressures and found them all to be between 5 and 10 pounds low. I aired them up to the recommended 75 front and 80 rear pressures.

We took our trip from Anchorage to Seward, AK and while on the Seward Highway it did seem every small bump and crack in the road was a bit harsh but I didn't think too much about it since this was our first road trip in our "new" rig.

The eye opener (real tooth rattler) came on a half mile or so section of dirt road that lead from Seward to a campground on the shore of Resurrection Bay. The dirt road was in dire need of maintenance and had the worst washboard surface I've seen in many years as well as many, many potholes. Every single bump was transmitted to every square foot of the coach as well as our butts and teeth. It was positively awful.

Upon reaching a different campground where we spent the night, I checked the tire pressures with a different air gauge than I first used and guess what: all tires were 5 to 10 pounds overinflated. The upshot: my first air gauge was bad.

I've since bought a new and better quality gauge and am very happy to report that it exactly matches the readout from the TPMS!!!
Old 09-25-2020, 06:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Vita 24P

Weird,I just bought my Vita last fall. I find the ride as good or better than my 2005 Ford F150 crew cab which I thought was great riding. The Sprinter chassis is smooth, and driving it is easier than my Ford. Tire pressure is 61lbs all around. There are discussions on tire pressure, if you have your chassis weight done by axle, and than call manufacturer for recommended tire pressure for those weights, maybe it will ride better.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

This is a topic on many web sites. you need to play with tire pressure settings as well as the rear airbags (if installed). On my 12 aspect it was similar to you but when we got it we didnt know any better and filled tires to the 75-80 lb range. Discount tire would not fill air bags.

Anyhow it was a mess to drive so I ended up after playing with pressures at 70 in rears and 60-65 in front. Light loads are about 5 psi less. rear airbags are at 55-60. You dont indicate if heavy or light load so again it will take time. We drove some of the same roads summer before this one and yes they are bad, but you need to pick your track. I run on center hump with right side as far over as possible. Its the beat outs that you are referring to that beat you up. If nothing behind I will run in left lane to avoid them. Again try to experiment and see if its better. I want to get ride of the flex steel seats and replace with electric seats from a pickup but havent been able to find any.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

LOAD: With just two adults and a small dog, some clothes and food, I'm guessing our load was LIGHT. But, I didn't weight the unit.

TIRES: Pressure was 65/80. So, I can understand that lower might be softer, but I assume there is "too low to be safe" also, right? This sounds really tricky as a means of adjusting ride comfort. But, I can try some lower pressures.

AIRBAGS: I do have airbags, and the guy who put on my sway bar said he put "30 PSI" in them. Arbitrary? I have no idea. I am not sure of their purpose? I am never going to be towing a car, or having thousands of pounds in the RV, so do I even use these bags?

DRIVING: On this trip, there would have been no opportunity to "drive on the center" or in the left lane, or any of that. LOTS of people are out on the roads! LOTS!
What I don't understand about the roads is how so many blacktop roads - highways - become "washboards". This is not noticeable in a car. But the roads are like wavelets with the valleys about 4 feet apart, and at 50MPH, the ride is unbelievably WILD. The millions of tar strips poured across the road are like hitting bricks. Then mysteriously, the road will be smooth for a few miles, then back to washboard.

With the millions of these Class C rigs out there, I guess I'm surprised that this is "what it is."
Old 09-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

After researching the Michelin tire data - which I should have done BEFORE driving, I think I am considerably OVER INFLATED on all four corners with 75/front and 80/rear.

The MAX for the XPS RIB is 80 PSI on all 6 tires if the load were #15,100. I will weigh the rig tomorrow, but I think I'm closer to 12,000. That will allow me to take a LOT of air out.
Maybe down to 50/Front and 65/Rear. Based on what I read about "rough riding E450" reducing tire pressure improves ride a LOT. I'm surprised, but I'll also be delighted if true.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

As Hank mentioned above, I experienced much of the same in my 2017 Aspect 30J on the 450 chassis and I changed my tire pressures with some good results. However, when I checked my rear air bags, they were less than 10#. I added to both sides to 60# and the ride was incredibly smooth. However, it was a little squirrelly so I dropped them to 50# and now it rides nicely. I feel your pain living in Northern AZ...I-40 and I-17 are absolutely horrible! Arizona has a lot left to be desired with regards to the interstates...unless you're around Phoenix or Tucson. That's where the population base is so they get the money for the roads. Good luck!

Al
Old 09-25-2020, 11:24 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
After researching the Michelin tire data
I had the same problem with my truck. The factory tire pressure is 80 PSI, which wouldn't even be required for maximum rated payload, let alone empty. To add insult, the LOW TIRE pressure alarm is preset at 80, so lowering the pressure to 45 PSI per Goodyear specs means a constant alarm light on the dash, and every time you start the truck, it goes to the tire status page on the EVIC. Still, that's better than driving on concrete tires.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:41 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
Just returned from a 1300 mile bone crushing, brain scrambling, kidney killing, trip in my '04 E/450 Minnie Winnie. I am utterly disgusted with my purchase, and the money I sunk into getting it ready.

Our trip was from SoCal desert up through Las Vegas, into Utah across to Arizona, back down to home. It was the most horrendous vehicle ride of my life. Of course the roads in the West are broken down and horrible, with maybe Utah being a slight grade above the others, but I had no idea my Class C would essentially ride like the road was railroad ties for about 90% of the trip. I'm not sure any of my bones are still connected!

About 150 miles of the trip was on smooth roads, and the ride on those few perfect miles is smooth as silk. But, the other 1000 miles is on "normal" roads of the west, and the ride is so brutally rough, I considered leaving it on the side of the road and walking home. BANG! BANG! BANG! for mile after mile after mile. Nope - -not dirt roads, not gravel roads, but Interstates and US and state highways. All main roads in the west - I-10, I-15, I-40, I-17, US95, US89, etc.

My previous RVing was towing an Airstream with a Suburban for many thousands of miles in the west, and never experienced such brutal ride on any road.

My rig: '04 Minnie 29. Brand new Michelin XPS Rib tires, new Bilstein shocks all around, new Hellwig sway bars. I can't imagine how anyone would want to RV in this kind of rig, so maybe something is horribly wrong with my rig?? But what could it be?

If this is all there is to Class C, I'm getting rid of it right away and go back to a travel trailer.

I don't know a whole lot about suspension designs, but I can't believe this is what people are driving?

What could be wrong here?
Desert Ratt...just a suggestion. You might want to ask the Moderators to DELETE this entire thread...and for this reason: You chose to identify your rig, and model year. You then disparaged the ride, to the point that YOU would like to dump it, and go back to a T.T. Being that this is a dedicated Winnie Forum...and that there are those lurking on this forum, LOOKING for such posts, to 'warn them' off certain units or model years...that you might seriously be shooting yourself in the backside...if you wish to place an ad for sale...The Internet is universal...and there will be many Winnie Sniffers that will be in your for-sale area, that WILL READ this post. If I did, I would be turned off your model year, body class, and model. Just a suggestion, I know you wanted to vent...but if you are truly thinking of selling...I'd ask this post to be removed, for quite obvious reasons. A suggestion!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:21 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAspect View Post
As Hank mentioned above, I experienced much of the same in my 2017 Aspect 30J on the 450 chassis and I changed my tire pressures with some good results. However, when I checked my rear air bags, they were less than 10#. I added to both sides to 60# and the ride was incredibly smooth. However, it was a little squirrelly so I dropped them to 50# and now it rides nicely. I feel your pain living in Northern AZ...I-40 and I-17 are absolutely horrible! Arizona has a lot left to be desired with regards to the interstates...unless you're around Phoenix or Tucson. That's where the population base is so they get the money for the roads. Good luck!

Al
We've been driving in Arizona for years. There is it seems ALWAYS construction cones, but the road never gets better! Especially I-40. 89A was no treat either. But for all that, things are even worse in California. I believe we past the tipping point some 10 years or so ago - - the road deterioration rate is exceeding any possible budget to fix them. California is dedicated to just tossing in cheap patches. When they do spend big, it is for WIDENING jammed freeways, never for fixing the already broken lanes.

At my age, RVing was going to be the "last delight". Now, I just don't know. Surely, the roads will continue to get worse, not better.

I'm wondering now: 5th Wheels are pulled by really heavy PUPs. Are they having this kind of ride in a F350 King Ranch dually? What about Class A rigs? They're even heavier? As for TT towing, my wife will kill me if we go back to that. She hated the whole "hitchin' up" routine. But in reality, a 25' TT has the same room as my 29' Winnie, and I can pull it with smooth ride.

I'll try the TP, and air bags and see where that goes. Ride aside, I LOVE the Minnie Winnie. And, I love the V10 and trans. It climbs, it stops, it drives very well...........until the tar strips!

Who said life was easy?
Old 09-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

As someone who lives in Arizona and drives an RV (2018 Fuse) on the roads frequently I can tell you that 89A has always been a bad road. You could take 89 instead as it is much smoother and more comfortable. Some roads are so heavily traveled that it is impossible to the state to pave them without disrupting traffic so badly that it ties things up.

Parts of I10 from California to Phoenix are particularly bad but some of the secondary roads are much better choices.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #16
RVCalypso

2016 Minni Winni

We have traveled just over 5000 miles this summer, May through September. We live in Arizona and have traveled NM, CO, UT and CA. We have steering stabilizer and sway bars. We run 75 psi in the front and 80 psi on the rear in our Michelin LTX tires. We keep the speed to a max of 60 miles per hour and the drive is relaxed and casual generally driving around 240 miles per day.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Desert Rat,
What you've experienced is the same exact thing we all of have. There are lots of very smooth roads in America and, there's quite a few that cause you to go to the dentist, to put your fillings back in. We've been RVing now for well over 36 years and, we've had a few rigs. We started with 2 truck and campers, then a 23' Class C Dodge 4-Star. THAT was a learning curve for sure, coming from 2 different truck and campers.

Then, we moved on UP to an '89 Ultra (brand) class C, 27'. Much nicer in terms handling loads and not so good roads. We kept that for 11 years. Then, we moved to a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 chassis and the V-10. That was even better in handling rougher roads. Kept that for 7 years. However, that coach had a 7,000 lb. rated front axle and we were only carrying 5,100 lbs. up front.
Talk about a rough ride. Not a whole lot we could do about it. Finally, we moved to our present rig over nine years ago, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and the Allison MH3000 6-spd trans.

Now, procuring the diesel rig, I was under the assumption that we'd be riding on clouds for the rest of our RV life. Well, that's not happening. We get lots of jarring, vibration and more from bad roads in that air ride coach too. And yes, the 89 leading from Kayanta down to Flagstaff can get like a roller coaster ride.

In my opinion, your Bilstein shocks are the worst ones you can have. Every single Bilstein shock I've had, Jeeps, motorhomes and trucks, have caused a rough ride. And yes, they were all matched for the vehicle applied to. The second thing that you NEED TO DO IS WEIGH THAT COACH. Quit *assuming* this stuff. So many folks simply THINK that their coach weighs a given amount when, in all reality, most are way off their assumption. I have weighed every single coach we've owned and, have applied the CORRECT TIRE PRESSURE to accommodate the ACTUAL weight.

And, you'd be amazed how much less air pressure is needed to safely carry the weight of a coach, down from the side wall stated weight carrying capabilities.

Now, I won't tell or suggest you run out buy new shocks or any other augmentation to *try* and achieve better and smoother riding results. I just know I myself, will never own Bilsteins again. Others may differ with me, and that's perfectly fine. On our last coach, the Fleetwood Bounder, I actually ran the tire pressure lower than the charts would go for the tire brand I had on there due to the fact that I was carrying less weight than the charts went to on their lower limits. It rode CONSIDERABLY better than with the higher air pressure and, those tires wore perfectly AND, it handled JUST FINE.

If you're not happy with your rig, SELL IT. I always look at this stuff in such a manor that, I'm not gonna be around on this earth very long so, I'm gonna be HAPPY at least while I'm on here galivanting around. IF that means selling a vehicle/RV/motorcycle soon after we've purchased it due to growing un happy with, well, IT'S GONE!

But, in the future, if you think about changing, if I were you, I would do as long of a test ride in an intended RV or whatever, to check it out on as many potentially rough roads etc. to see if it would satisfy your needs, before committing. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
We have traveled just over 5000 miles this summer, May through September. We live in Arizona and have traveled NM, CO, UT and CA. We have steering stabilizer and sway bars. We run 75 psi in the front and 80 psi on the rear in our Michelin LTX tires. We keep the speed to a max of 60 miles per hour and the drive is relaxed and casual generally driving around 240 miles per day.
That would seem to suggest your much newer Ford 450 has a better suspension design? Mine is 2004.
I have Bilstein shocks, steering damper and front and back Helwig sway bars and new tires.

Someone suggested my leaf springs might be worn out, but the chassis only had 15,000 miles!
Old 09-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Desert Rat,
What you've experienced is the same exact thing we all of have. There are lots of very smooth roads in America and, there's quite a few that cause you to go to the dentist, to put your fillings back in. We've been RVing now for well over 36 years and, we've had a few rigs. We started with 2 truck and campers, then a 23' Class C Dodge 4-Star. THAT was a learning curve for sure, coming from 2 different truck and campers.

Then, we moved on UP to an '89 Ultra (brand) class C, 27'. Much nicer in terms handling loads and not so good roads. We kept that for 11 years. Then, we moved to a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 chassis and the V-10. That was even better in handling rougher roads. Kept that for 7 years. However, that coach had a 7,000 lb. rated front axle and we were only carrying 5,100 lbs. up front.
Talk about a rough ride. Not a whole lot we could do about it. Finally, we moved to our present rig over nine years ago, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and the Allison MH3000 6-spd trans.

Now, procuring the diesel rig, I was under the assumption that we'd be riding on clouds for the rest of our RV life. Well, that's not happening. We get lots of jarring, vibration and more from bad roads in that air ride coach too. And yes, the 89 leading from Kayanta down to Flagstaff can get like a roller coaster ride.

In my opinion, your Bilstein shocks are the worst ones you can have. Every single Bilstein shock I've had, Jeeps, motorhomes and trucks, have caused a rough ride. And yes, they were all matched for the vehicle applied to. The second thing that you NEED TO DO IS WEIGH THAT COACH. Quit *assuming* this stuff. So many folks simply THINK that their coach weighs a given amount when, in all reality, most are way off their assumption. I have weighed every single coach we've owned and, have applied the CORRECT TIRE PRESSURE to accommodate the ACTUAL weight.

And, you'd be amazed how much less air pressure is needed to safely carry the weight of a coach, down from the side wall stated weight carrying capabilities.

Now, I won't tell or suggest you run out buy new shocks or any other augmentation to *try* and achieve better and smoother riding results. I just know I myself, will never own Bilsteins again. Others may differ with me, and that's perfectly fine. On our last coach, the Fleetwood Bounder, I actually ran the tire pressure lower than the charts would go for the tire brand I had on there due to the fact that I was carrying less weight than the charts went to on their lower limits. It rode CONSIDERABLY better than with the higher air pressure and, those tires wore perfectly AND, it handled JUST FINE.

If you're not happy with your rig, SELL IT. I always look at this stuff in such a manor that, I'm not gonna be around on this earth very long so, I'm gonna be HAPPY at least while I'm on here galivanting around. IF that means selling a vehicle/RV/motorcycle soon after we've purchased it due to growing un happy with, well, IT'S GONE!

But, in the future, if you think about changing, if I were you, I would do as long of a test ride in an intended RV or whatever, to check it out on as many potentially rough roads etc. to see if it would satisfy your needs, before committing. Good luck.
Scott
Thanks Scott. I just returned from the weigh station, and I'm at the tire store waiting for them to remove the hub caps they put on with an air wrench, so I can get the the valve stems!

I will be way lowering that pressure!

You're not the first person to tell me the Bilsteins are crap. I need to understand more about shocks.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

My weight was #3740 front and #8160 rear with full tank of gas and fresh water.

I checked the Michelin specs and decided on 50 PSI front and 60 PSI rear. After getting America's Tire to remove the %*&#@ HubCaps the put on with an air wrench, I set about removing air. Who knew it would take another 2 hours, to realize the valve stems are hidden, go find some sort of extensions (crappy ones), fiddle them on, and then discover my pressure gauges barely fit, barely work, etc.

Well, finally got the right pressure and went for a 10 mile ride. It IS an improvement. Not so much in character as in degrees. The bumps are all there, but quieter, more "bump" less "BANG!". It was worth the time to get it to the right pressure, but I don't think I'm done.

I think the wildly bad aspect of the chassis is the rear axle. It's about as sophisticated as a covered wagon. What's clearly happening is that the rear axle jumps off the pavement and shudders and twists on the way down. The rear axle contributes about 3/4 of the roughness, and the clanging and banging, while the front is bumpy, but well behaved.

I may visit a speed shop that has done some special work for me in the past, and see if perhaps "drag bars" would keep that shuddering and twisting down. I think it's not rocket science, even though not in my wheelhouse.