Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #41
Winnebago Watcher

Iony

So, let's see ! Last year, my wife and I we drove from LA, Ca. To Artic Circles, Alaska.
We set the tire pressure to 65 psi. all around. The road was like silk!This is our pride and joy, Winnebago Via 25T. Class A motorhome.
There are many reasons for your sad story, but without a doubt is "something ruthen in Danemark"
Sale it ! Get rid of it ! Buy your self something else. A pusher will be the best !
Our experience on RV ing, starts back in 1979. and we went through many types of
RV.
Regards !
Iony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Got rid of the Bilsteins and put on Monroes. I couldn't be happier with the decision because the ride is much softer. AND it cut down the interior rattles to near-zero as well!

Control and handling suffered quite a bit - it's like a big floaty Cadillac now, instead of a VW bug.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:30 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

E450

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
It's an RV built on a truck chassis. You don't get a decent ride till you upgrade to a pusher. That is from my own personal experience owning many different rigs. Even the Class A gas rigs ride rough.
I have a 2018 minnie 31g . My yearly trip from PA to Florida is about 1200 miles. No it don't ride like a limo but it isn't all that bad. Yes rough roads are notable. I did at one time have a Santara Grand class's A it was a fairly large unit but yes they are built on truck chassis or similar and ride like a truck.
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
After researching the Michelin tire data - which I should have done BEFORE driving, I think I am considerably OVER INFLATED on all four corners with 75/front and 80/rear.

The MAX for the XPS RIB is 80 PSI on all 6 tires if the load were #15,100. I will weigh the rig tomorrow, but I think I'm closer to 12,000. That will allow me to take a LOT of air out.
Maybe down to 50/Front and 65/Rear. Based on what I read about "rough riding E450" reducing tire pressure improves ride a LOT. I'm surprised, but I'll also be delighted if true.
I have found lowering the tire presur creates a handling problem. SWAY
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Bilstein are known to be rough/firm riding shocks. Many will pull even new Bilsteins if the coach came with them and go over to Koni FSD or Monroe RV. You should find a number of threads on the regrets of going with Bilstein shocks and the harsh ride they are known for. I know they advertise them as the best thing since sliced bread as the expression goes however a good number of folks have been much less than impressed with them as far as a smooth ride on rough roads is concerned.

As for the tire pressures you really have to weigh the coach and then match the tire pressure to the actual axle weights per the load charts. One has to be careful to load, weigh, redistribute the weight if necessary, weigh again, properly inflate and then take the balanced RV as its loaded for travel for an alignment. Caution should be taken too to balance things so the front axle load is not too light compared to the back. Many make the mistake of loading up back heavy which can really lighten up the front end causing bouncing and wandering.

On an older E450 based motor home it is not uncommon for the springs to be in need of attention too since most are never weighed and end up being driven severely overloaded.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Agree completely. We're on our 14th RV since 2001 and our first diesel pusher. Should have started off with the diesel pusher. It's like driving a Lazyboy down the road. :-)
RV Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Desertratt
Sounds like your on the right track. Usually when something is that bad it takes time and a methodical approach to find out what might be wrong. Its tough when you're already on the trip when you first notice it. A stop at the speed shop or even a suspension shop might help. A lot of times these forums have a lot of the answers and they seem the have. I felt that way with my Class A gasser and finally this year may the leap to a DP. Much better ride and a lot less noise up front now. Only hear my DW. :-) Wish you luck and let us know how you make out. Thanks.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

I run with 65 lbs pressure all the way around and replaced the shocks with these: https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-1...522199&sr=8-15
and Bilstein 24-187237 for the rear shocks.
cptrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:20 PM   #49
Winnebago Camper

Ford Based RVs vs Sprinter

I have owned multiple E450 and F53 based RVs. I tried several of the suspension upgrades. I finally switched back to a Winnebago View to get something that's easier to drive.

After you try all the fixes, you might want to consider a Sprinter based RV.

Good Luck, Jerry
Old 10-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #50
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Got rid of the Bilsteins and put on Monroes. I couldn't be happier with the decision because the ride is much softer. AND it cut down the interior rattles to near-zero as well!

Control and handling suffered quite a bit - it's like a big floaty Cadillac now, instead of a VW bug.
Yes, that seems to be the choice - good control or soft ride.

When we first got this rig, it had stock sway bars and old stock shocks probably `15 years old. It was pretty loosy-goosey and did not give much confidence when driving. After the new sway bars, tires and Bilstein shocks, the handling became exceptionally stable and predictable. That part I liked.

Well, I've taken the tire pressure way down, and I'll try that for a bit. I hate to trash a set of new shocks and start over, but maybe.....

I don't think I want it to drive as soft as my Town Car...not at 12 feet high and 8 feet wide, and 12,000 pounds!
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:06 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

Air Ride Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Decades ago there were air suspension seats. Others here might be able to tell you if those still exist.

But yeah, as Ranger Smith notes, you're not going to get the same ride out of a one-ton or higher truck suspension as you would a Suburban.
Bostrom makes air ride seating that are designed for professional trucking and are suitable for RVs. There is even a line specifically designed for the Sprinter chassis.
DrMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #52
Winnebago Camper

When was the last time you rode in the airstream when it was towed, I think you'll find most of the same problems it's hard to feel and hear when you're in a different vehicle. My understanding.
millerDE45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #53
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerDE45 View Post
When was the last time you rode in the airstream when it was towed, I think you'll find most of the same problems it's hard to feel and hear when you're in a different vehicle. My understanding.
Absolutely true! I'm sure the ride inside was brutal. But, that's a moot point since we don't ride inside the TT. My only point was that having RVed in a a Suburban, left me unprepared for a E/450.

I'm getting it sorted out, and I think I will get to a point where it is acceptable. I surely DO love the Minnie WInnie RV. I like the space we have, I like the build quality, and I like not hitching up!
Old 10-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #54
Winnebago Camper

You need a class a diesel pusher. Even a class a gas engine is a horrible Luisi ride with the engine in the front.
Pdest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #55
Winnebago Master

The OP has a 2004 E450 Minnie and some recommend that the best solution to his ride problem is to buy a Diesel pusher? Give me a break.

Also, when filling tires to "weight table" pressures, Tireman9, a retired tire engineer and Winnieowner recommends adding 10% as a safety margin. This should help mitigate any adverse handling issues due to lower pressures.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:46 PM   #56
Winnebago Watcher

I bought a brand new 2019 Winnie Outlook and had the same issues, rode like a lumber wagon. Took it back lost $25000 on the trade and went with a Class A. So much better. Class C's are tanks.
PapaJ1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #57
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The OP has a 2004 E450 Minnie and some recommend that the best solution to his ride problem is to buy a Diesel pusher? Give me a break.

Also, when filling tires to "weight table" pressures, Tireman9, a retired tire engineer and Winnieowner recommends adding 10% as a safety margin. This should help mitigate any adverse handling issues due to lower pressures.
I have an old motto "don't be part of the problem, rather be part of the solution " Though others might be making suggestions, while others have been offering advice. Sometimes its a process like that, helps the OP make a decision because, in the end no matter what is said its up to the OP to decide. I'm sure you'd have some insight you could add that might be helpful...
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #58
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdest View Post
You need a class a diesel pusher. Even a class a gas engine is a horrible Luisi ride with the engine in the front.
That's about $250,000 OVER my price range!

I feel really good about what I paid for the 2004 Minnie with 12,000 miles on the chassis: $23,500.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:20 PM   #59
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
That's about $250,000 OVER my price range!

I feel really good about what I paid for the 2004 Minnie with 12,000 miles on the chassis: $23,500.
Wow, you got a hell of a deal! I thought I did well buying my like new 12,000 mile 2005 Adventurer for $39,000! You can do a lot of fine tuning and modifications for that price. I could get used to a less comfortable ride on rough roads for that price too. Since I can do all my own work on my gas Class A, rather that a diesel pusher which I have no experience with, it's way more affordable. So if you have to pay twice as much as we have for our motorhomes, and then pay a lot more for parts, maintenance and repairs, a diesel pusher is a lot less affordable. I would also put the Sprinter chassis motorhomes in that same category, because they cost a lot more to buy and maintain and have a lot less room inside. I'd rather spend my money on the road going places and seeing the USA!
deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:14 AM   #60
Proud “No Intent” Owner

This thread has “jumped the shark”, in my opinion.
Every rig comes with its price point (affordability), comfort, and suitability for each one’s use.

To say a diesel pusher is the best ride, for example, is probably true, but not everyone can afford that, and not everyone wants to be relegated to campsites and arteries into parks that can accommodate their size.

There are trade-offs at every price point, and type of rig.