Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

The worst nightmare of someone towing, and the one on the receiving end...

May this never happen to ourselves, or the reader viewing this unfortunate event. Check your connections, and check once more, before moving off...

.... towing TOO FAST. What's the hurry?

Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

And EVERYONE is driving on the wrong side of the road.��
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I had a friend hook up his horse trailer to my pickup and he neglected to lock the coupler and put the safety pin through the latch. The latch popped up and the trailer decoupled but fortunately the safety chains kept the trailer tongue inside the bumper's recess for the hitch ball or the trailer would have flipped and the two horses inside would have been seriously injured or killed outright.

After that I did all the hitch attachment myself and made sure that the coupler was mounted properly and that the latch safety pin was in place and secured. The overall design of the hitch couplers is pretty poor in terms of the critical locking mechanism and it is surprising that no one has brought out a better design. Existing couplers are designed to make it fast to secure them but it also makes it much easier for them to pop free. The crap latch safety pins provided with all the couplers can be upgrades to a captive square clip for less than $5.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I have seen the start of this accident happen very often while on the road. A trailer has Not been loaded properly, weight distribution is critical. When the unit starts swaying, the driver slows down which is OPPOSITE of what should driver should do...speed up to get under control. If you tow you need to learn how to respond in different situations and you should NOT be on the road if you can not handle your unit. JMHO
SheilaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaR View Post
I have seen the start of this accident happen very often while on the road. A trailer has Not been loaded properly, weight distribution is critical. When the unit starts swaying, the driver slows down which is OPPOSITE of what should driver should do...speed up to get under control. If you tow you need to learn how to respond in different situations and you should NOT be on the road if you can not handle your unit. JMHO
I believe the best immediate response to sway is to gently apply the trailer brakes using the brake controller.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I believe the best immediate response to sway is to gently apply the trailer brakes using the brake controller.
If you have a trailer brake controller with a slider to apply the trailer's brakes manually - just about all of them have this feature - apply the trailer brakes manually is better than braking the tow vehicle.

Let off the gas and gently apply the trailer's electric brakes manually with the trailer brake controller.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

My son has been semi driver for very long time.. big part of their training is learning how to speed up to drive straight in this situation. Usually this problem occurs because trailer is not loaded properly, i.e. not enough weight on tongue. Braking will cause further side movement.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaR View Post
My son has been semi driver for very long time.. big part of their training is learning how to speed up to drive straight in this situation. Usually this problem occurs because trailer is not loaded properly, i.e. not enough weight on tongue. Braking will cause further side movement.
Braking the tow vehicle wouldn’t be good. Using the trailer brakes is a little like pulling a rope straight. The tension can stop the sway. You may be thinking of a tire blowout on the steer axle.

I agree sway is often a result of poor load distribution (not enough tongue weight).
Old 06-26-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

backtrack15...I am really sorry if you were talking about the trailer brakes...I thought and spoke about the truck. I do agree that the trailer brake should be applied, but that does not fit with what I see on the road. I used to put on 100000 miles a yr - showing dogs as well as camping and when I see that sway on the road, depending on where I am in relationship to that tandem, I either speed up to get ahead or fall way behind to avoid the pile up that can happen in an instant. In my opinion, way too many ppl tow trailers without any training and way too many dealerships sell them without any training. That is assuming the sales rep might know something about driving with a tow. lol

Tags
towing, tow