Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

The 'why I don't drive an R.V. but a T.T. post...

I felt so bad, so baaaaaaaaaad, for a family that I passed on highway 401 eastbound towards Kingston Ontario yesterday at around 5:00 PM.

I passed a Holmes 440 (the wreckers and hook's that tow transport trucks) hooked onto a 30 or more foot R.V. and had it lifted at that time off of it's front tires.

I SHUDDERED, and mentioned to my wife also moving her head back and forth, as to how much (probably close to a thousand dollars) after a tow in...with the Holmes 440...they don't even come out to hook under $200.00 dollars USF.

I said that is why I have always wanted a T.T. with a totally separate drive train, not attached to the body. If that would have been us...I could have gone by taxi to a U-Haul, and rented a configured one of their tow-ready F150 with tow Level 4 capabilities for under $200.00 and continue with our trip, after towing our car/truck to a local dealer for repair.

What this has cost this couple, who were standing behind their rig, totally shoulder's down, dejected. I can only imagine as well as their vacation plans delayed or totally ruined. That is why I personally never chose to own a vehicle that both the drive train, as well as the living quarters were one and the same. With a T.T., you have choices that don't prove your vacation fatal.

Just sayin...

Winnie 1706FB owner towed by a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
Living The Dream

They likely have towing coverage, like CoachNet. Now I am feeling better for them. Whew.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Does it happen? Sure. Is it frequent? Nope. Does it affect more than a minuscule number of RVer? Again, nope. Would I base a decision whether or not to own a travel trailer over a motorhome because of this rare possibility? Of course, not.

There are hundreds of things in our life every day that "can" go wrong but almost never do. I for one don't make decisions on the rare possibilities that are not likely to happen.

For instance... Travel trailers flip over and scatter their insides all over the road - and many times take their tow vehicles with them. But that wouldn't stop me from owning a travel trailer.

For those of us that have owned both - it's a super easy decision to chose the one we prefer the most.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
They likely have towing coverage, like CoachNet. Now I am feeling better for them. Whew.
I don't think by their shoulders down to their ankles...and the face of tragedy upon both of them. Their body language didn't broadcast, covered by break down insurance...at least both my wife and I didn't receive that vibe..

Poor folks...painful to have witnessed as we past them.

Post Edit, and if even this couple HAD tow insurance, they would be sleeping if allowed at the break down repair facility, and not at their intended first booking or subsequent ones. Seen that too, heading north in Ontario. A couple of R.V's mostly 30 footers and up, sitting at the end of repair depot buildings at RV/Boat/Marine properties. This is much more common if you look out for them, as I for whatever reason keep an eye watch out for while travelling with Winnie Minnie.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Does it happen? Sure. Is it frequent? Nope. Does it affect more than a minuscule number of RVer? Again, nope. Would I base a decision whether or not to own a travel trailer over a motorhome because of this rare possibility? Of course, not.

There are hundreds of things in our life every day that "can" go wrong but almost never do. I for one don't make decisions on the rare possibilities that are not likely to happen.

For instance... Travel trailers flip over and scatter their insides all over the road - and many times take their tow vehicles with them. But that wouldn't stop me from owning a travel trailer.

For those of us that have owned both - it's a super easy decision to chose the one we prefer the most.
I hear ya...but for me, still the bottom line, is that with having your living quarters ALSO your drive train...this alone cancels any other avenue to keep you going down the road within an hour or three. There are no choices, when the drive trains fails...the living quarters stay with the non moving drive train. I have to tell you...I have seen in our travels many, many R.V.'s on the side of the road, waiting for the 'hook' rather than passing a T.T. with it contents all over it. This happens much more than most people think...and just keep a watch out now...but, as you say, you pay the money, and take a roll of the dice...
Old 08-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
I hear ya...but for me, still the bottom line, is that with having your living quarters ALSO your drive train...this alone cancels any other avenue to keep you going down the road within an hour or three. There are no choices, when the drive trains fails...the living quarters stay with the non moving drive train. I have to tell you...I have seen in our travels many, many R.V.'s on the side of the road, waiting for the 'hook' rather than passing a T.T. with it contents all over it. This happens much more than most people think...and just keep a watch out now...but, as you say, you pay the money, and take a roll of the dice...
Everyone has their own bottom line. It’s good you’re doing what makes you comfortable. Did you or anyone who might have seen the incident offer the couple any assistance?
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Everyone has their own bottom line. It’s good you’re doing what makes you comfortable. Did you or anyone who might have seen the incident offer the couple any assistance?
There was nobody else on scene as they were already lifted at the back end of the Holmes 440, and probably were ready to get into the back seat of the 440 for the trip to wherever they contracted with the driver to end up at.

Being that the Holmes had already hooked and lifted the front end...we did not pull over. We just wished them well, and offered some white light energy...

The one thing that was good, as I think of it now, was that it was a fairly wide paved shoulder for the Holmes (they are HUGE!) to get in front of them and do the lift. IF this would have happened to them even five miles down the road East... they would have been blocking half a live lane of the 401, as there were only very narrow dirt shoulders against rock cliff cut outs. So...thank goodness for small blessings.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

On the other hand, who can say they didn't just rent a car and go on to where they were headed and rent a cabin for the vacation?
No big deal, things happen!
If a tow bill totally ruins your day, it's safer to stay home.....
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
On the other hand, who can say they didn't just rent a car and go on to where they were headed and rent a cabin for the vacation?
No big deal, things happen!
If a tow bill totally ruins your day, it's safer to stay home.....
That scenario of course could have happened, but this ain't any 'ordinary' tow bill, Morich...not where a Holmes 440 is doing the towing...that thousand or more dollars all in, could have been their entire fuel budget alone.

But, as you say, let's hope they came out with some good happenings. That was unfortunate to view.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I've seen a LOT more travel trailers upside down by the side of the road, than I've seen RV's being towed.

There are risks associated with every type of transportation. If your tow vehicle breaks down, you end up leaving the trailer where it is. Not having it towed behind the tow truck.

Different strokes for Different folks.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

This thread needs pics, do you perhaps mean a Holmes DTU?
Everything I see on the web says the Holmes 440 is a light duty wrecker.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:07 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
I've seen a LOT more travel trailers upside down by the side of the road, than I've seen RV's being towed.

I usually just see the frame and axles upside down on the side of the road, the rest of the trailer and it's contents are generally scattered over a wider area.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

That Holmes 440 is old school. It is more of a light duty wrecker, usually on an F-350 or 3500 GM. The larger ones are the 750’s. Both are old school cable drives. If I had a Class A, I certainly wouldn’t want a 440 hooking up to me. Lots of good points. But personally I’ll take my Class C over a TT any day of the week.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

as i tow my car behind me if i break down and have to be towed i still have wheels,and with roadside assistance on my insurance my tow bill is paid in full by my ins company so it really doesn't affect me.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Breaking down in any type of vehicle gives one a very dejected moment. I have been there done that. Once required a tow of 40 miles. Another incident was when I thought I had lost an AC to a tree limb that jumped out at us. Had I stopped and been standing on the side of the road, in either incident I would have looked as dejected as you described the owners in your first post and it doesn't matter if one has insurance or not...it is a feeling of loss, hopelessness.

So just by a person's appearance at any given time does not mean the don't have insurance or the means.

Also, having insurance not only means for the RV, but most coverhotel/motel costs, and rental cars if needed.

I agree with some of your statements, but not all.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

i will agree the hopeless feeling and it only gets worse the longer you have to wait for help.my wifes niece just went out to the black hills area and they had trouble with their pickup half way there,someone stopped and they got going again but last i heard they had to get towed in and are finishing up their vacation in a rental van til the pickup gets fixed.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

The flip side is having a problem with a tow vehicle and needing a way to tow both the vehicle and the trailer to a repair shop. It is why I dislike towing a trailer of any kind and do so as little as possible.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:54 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Personal preference. I have a TT, but I’d definitely think about a sprinter van, except right now I don’t want another engine and drive train, maintenance, vehicle expense, etc. I just need a small TT. I could see that changing once we start with longer trips for visiting places and people rather than simple mountain camping close to home.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoguzzi View Post
This thread needs pics, do you perhaps mean a Holmes DTU?
Everything I see on the web says the Holmes 440 is a light duty wrecker.

Yessir, my bad...it looked like that. So, it was not (my calling it a Holmes 440) a 440, but exactly this size and capability that had hooked the 30 footer ready to leave the shoulder...
Old 08-06-2021, 08:21 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandoo62 View Post
i will agree the hopeless feeling and it only gets worse the longer you have to wait for help.my wifes niece just went out to the black hills area and they had trouble with their pickup half way there,someone stopped and they got going again but last i heard they had to get towed in and are finishing up their vacation in a rental van til the pickup gets fixed.
Things break down, but when you see that happening to what should be a most wonderful, relaxing and memory making event...to be on the side of the road with your motorhome on a hook...that look was all over those two poor souls. I mean, I am not exaggerating one bit that you could read that on the faces of both them standing behind the back end of the M.H., as they waited for the driver to collect them. Had he not been there, we most certainly would have pulled in ahead of them and given what help we could. I hope by now, whatever put them to the side of the highway, has been fixed, and they are back on the road!!!!