Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Swapping instrument cluster with a factory tach

Have been trying to find out if a factory instrument cluster with a tachometer is available to fit my older coach, a 95 Winnebago Brave, with the 454 engine, on the chevy chassis.
Do any of you Brave owners have a factory tach? Or, is there a comparable coach of another make and model that would interchange?
I appreciate all comments!
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Sorry I don't know which cluster GM supplied to WBGO with the older P32 chassis, but think you will find that WBGO used whatever came with the chassis. Also, not sure about the level of engine computer to cluster interfacing was used back then, but the cluster is definitely a chassis supplied component that displays various chassis functions.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "factory tach", either. Please elaborate as to what you are looking to accomplish.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The tachless cluster HAS to be from some Chevrolet of the era. Any pictures? A google image search ought to find a picture. Then just need to find a cluster like it with a tach.

Something like this ?:

(From this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/dash-...ng-188413.html)

Looks a lot like a 1988-1992 Chevrolet C/K cluster:

But the shape of the lens doesn't seem right...

But I did find this:

A 1995 Kodiak cluster (They used C/K dashes).

Maybe the RV part just has a unique lens piece?

A later C/K piece might be nice:

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thsnks Ed, The original cluster just had a speedo, fuel, temp, and voltage. When I said "factory," I was trying to describe one similar to the one Tderonne posted in his response. That is the kind I would like to have with the tachometer integrated into the cluster. If I can find one at a auto recycler, I will see if the connectors are the same.

My 454 is the TBI model, with OBD 2 computer controls. Unless I am mistaken , I do not believe it would interface with the scan style control that many use.
I have tried an image search on google, but have not found something that I thought would work. A friend mentioned that possibly a '98 Bounder had one similar to the one in my coach, so I will look in that direction.

I will get my son to help post an image of mine so all will see exactly what I have now.
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My cluster looks just like the one posted as a '93. It seems to be more or less flat, without the overhang at the top like the c/k model.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just want to close this thread out by saying that GM did not make an instrument cluster with a tachometer. It appears GM began production of a cluster with tachometer in 1998. Apparently there is no way to adapt one from a '98 model.
With that said, I will purchase an aftermarket tach and transmission fluid temp gauge and install.
Thanks for the interest of the forum!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnbrave1 View Post
Just want to close this thread out by saying that GM did not make an instrument cluster with a tachometer. It appears GM began production of a cluster with tachometer in 1998. Apparently there is no way to adapt one from a '98 model.
With that said, I will purchase an aftermarket tach and transmission fluid temp gauge and install.
Thanks for the interest of the forum!
IF your chassis includes the OBD II output port, you will find the Liner Logic Scan Gage II a nice digital display of many, many functions including those you seek. I've been using mine, Velcro-ed to the top of the dash, for years and it will display four (4) functions simultaneously in a small unobtrusive package. Ed