Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Surround system 07 38j

My surround sound system works, i have a new tv, memorex dvd player/amp, the tv is connected to the memorex via the av in, (red and white out for sound from tv, with red white and yellow from memorex into tv for watching dvds off the memorex). The problem im having is that the surround sound is for one super quiet, i turn it all the way up to 50 (max) and if my engine is running i cant even hardly hear anything. The speakers are original and all of the wires from them come into the entertainment center and connect into the back of the memorex dvd player/amp. Im debating getting all new speakers and dvd player with the built in amp but a whole new system would be expensive. I feel like i can get this one to work but i dont know whats wrong with it. Also the speaker in the right side rear location does not work, the speaker itself works because i removed it and reinstalled it in a different location, it worked. The spot itself is not getting sound for some reason, but its wired into the back of the amp. Any help or recomendations, info, anything would be much appreciated
Jkuti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I would take a ohm reading on that one speaker I bet you will find that the wire has an open between there and the input. The rest I do not have a clue.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Eagle View Post
I would take a ohm reading on that one speaker I bet you will find that the wire has an open between there and the input. The rest I do not have a clue.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about I don't know where it would be though If there is a short
Old 02-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

If it is a open or short you will have to try to run a new line. If you can pull on the line and it moves then you can tie a new line to it and pull it thru if not you will have to find another way to route it there.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
Site Team

I don't know if I can add much to this. Mostly, I think you need to do a lot of testing.

BUT... I'd like to try.

On my 37F the TV can play thru the OEM Surround Sound, but it requires special settings on the TV to turn off the internal TV Speaker and there are different output type settings on the TV as well.

I've only tried the Surround with the TV (not via a BluRay Disc) once or twice so I'm not really conversant with the process. But I thought I'd ask if you had looked at the TV Audio settings in the TV's menu?

My surround system is an LG BluRay Player with built in 7 channel amp. There are speaker test tones and settings for each speaker location in the LG's setup system as well. On my system each individual speaker level can be set separately.

I have no idea what your memorex system offers. But again, I thought I'd mention this.

As for testing - you know the speaker works in that right rear location. It might help to try connecting that right rear speaker to a known working location at the memorex amplifier. That will test the wiring between your amp and the speaker location that's not working.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
Site Team

I'll add one more unhelpful thing. As our RVs get older our TVs, disc players and surround systems get further and further out of date. Since we keep our RVs longer than we'd keep a TV in our home there comes a time to either try to upgrade, like you're considering, or move to new technology.

A number of my friends have jettisoned their out of date sound equipment for TV Sound bars that are either surround sound or simulated surround sound.

Not that this helps you at all.

One more thing... the LG BlueRay player with 5-channel surround amp that came in my RV isn't perfect, but it works pretty well and isn't super expensive. It's discontinued now but it is a LG BH4120S. I don't know what model replaces it.

I see one on Ebay used - without the speakers (It came with speakers originally at retail) for only $70.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Blu-Ray-...0AAOSwYCRdatAJ
Old 02-26-2020, 04:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My tv has all those settings which i tried. Only settings on the memorex are bass treble and mid. Literally theyre the only thing i can change other than input and volume. Its an older unit. Most likely ill get a new amp/dvd player. I was going to check the original amp but i dont think i have it anymore because all the soeaker wires go straight to the memorex. I have a really nice sony amp/hdmi reciever but its too tall to fit in the ent. center cubby
Old 02-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I may just ditch it all and get a decent soundbar. Its just a shame because alk the wires are ran and thentrue surround sound would be really nice
Edit
Also, will the stock speakers work with lets say some regular amp like a pioneer or sony 5.1 channel? Or is it a special system? I see stuff about ohms im not sure if theyre special speakers or not
Old 02-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I'm not a surround sound guy at all but one item to try before making a big decision might be to check the wiring to the speaker which doesn't work. An open ( one or more wires broken/cut) will leave that speaker dead for sure, but what will a short do to the total system? Does a short (two wires making contact) kill the volume on all speakers?
What I might first want to know is if there is a short on that one, how much does that do to a plan to replace the main units if that wire is going to kill the volume on a new setup.
Any chance of disconnecting that set of wires to the speaker which is not working so that any possible short would be removed from the system as a test?
May be worth the time and effort to do a driveby to a local shop who does systems and let them guide you on what they recommend.
They certainly have a better idea of problems than you get from me!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I actually did disconnect those 2 wires from the amp, no difference. I really don't know why its so quiet. I emailed winnebago and the suggest the amp went out but i dont think i even have the original amp so then if thats true and i dont have it thats not possible either. Im going to try running a new wire and get that fixed first, then i am going to double check the amp and if i do have it im going to replace that, asa is the manufacturer and when i contacted them they offered to test it and replace it if its faulted, for free. So thats first. If that all fails, new amp.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:19 AM   #11
wmw
Winnebago Camper

I have the same MH as you and there is a switch on the console that changes your sound system from your tv to the radio. If all the speakers work in the radio position, then you may have a problem with your Blu-ray amp.
Woody 38J
wmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Surround Sound additional

My 2002 MH had a somewhat similar issue. And YES, the switch is the first place to check. However, one night I turned off the TV and the next day no sound or very low sound. I started looking around behind our new flatscreen TV that I installed two seasons previous. Then I happened to remember a round capacitor looking thing in the audio path (it is a Pymrarid NS-20 Isolation Transformer). They are used to eliminate any "ground loops" inbetween systems. So I removed it from the red/white audio circuit - Bingo - and everything worked again with absolutely no hum.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote