Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Maybe we are just lucky but we don't have a lock. We have been moving full timers since 2015.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

A 30 amp cord is much less expensive and I carry one of those around with me when we travel because I want to be able to place the RV anywhere on the site that seems best, even if it is a bit away from the power.

This sounds like a really good idea, but then the electric compartment on our RV does not have a locking door so it would just move the device from one vulnerable location to another.. Still, it would not be so clear that there is a device on the line so perhaps I will try this.

Thanks for the idea.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:57 PM   #23
2018 22M

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’ve been told...I am an idiot, so take that into consideration...
haha Well I'm an idiot too, I guess. I have the quite expensive Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X surge protector. Expensive! Yet in the 3 years I've been full time I've had my tires slashed at a rest stop :-( yet never had my SP stolen and it's never locked. :-)

In the dead of night at a campground, it would be quite easy for somebody to steal one - locked or not. I just haven't found that kind of 'element' at campgrounds - I study reviews before choosing one though.
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:57 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’ve been told... on this website no less that I am an idiot, so take that into consideration... but we don’t have any lock on our pricey EMS Surge protector. Never have had one. We’re camping on the beach at Goose Island State Park right now and our expensive surge protector is out there for any one to steal.

But as I said, I’m an idiot.
Well, I guess I am an idiot as well, I don't use a lock either.

And if you come by at night to take my surge protector don't forget to take our nice padded camping chairs and our bamboo folding table. And for the most part there will be a few cold ones left in the cooler.

Honestly, I never has a single item stolen.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:24 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
All this makes a case for installing an EMS inside the RV. I don’t worry about the surge protector, but I do lock my bikes, and trailer tongue, and put the generator in truck bed with locking tonneau. Now, just got a Blackstone and stand. So easy for somebody to walk off with that. Missing my smash burgers already.
I have the Blackstone 22" Adventure and I'm not going to dismantle it after every use and it is a lot less expensive than the surge protector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
Well, I guess I am an idiot as well, I don't use a lock either.

And if you come by at night to take my surge protector don't forget to take our nice padded camping chairs and our bamboo folding table. And for the most part there will be a few cold ones left in the cooler.

Honestly, I never has a single item stolen.
A thief is only going to take items that they think they can make money on, like copper wire. Most don't even know what a surge protector is. They may take it because it has pretty blinking lights.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #26
TowerRat

Maybe I’m the idiot, but I went a slightly different direction. I have a SockItBox that I put my SurgeGard into. I use a 10ft 30amp extension cord off the pole, connect both cords inside the box. Externally, it’s a green box connected to 2 cords. Waterproof and concealed.

From my Military Police days, this is considered a “cover vs. concealment” issue. No, it’s not locked down, but it is hidden from sight, and as said before, any serious thief can overcome ANY lock. This just helps keep honest people honest. (and did I mention, Waterproof?).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006EUHT2W...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

A thief is only going to take items that they think they can make money on, like copper wire. Most don't even know what a surge protector is. They may take it because it has pretty blinking lights.[/QUOTE]

If we are talking about using one of the surge protectors in an RV park, then I think most of the other campers staying there will know exactly what it is. They are, after all, RVers and I suspect that a surge protector is commonly known for what it is among RVers. However I also think most RVers are honest people and I don't worry about them taking things. I do lock the RV when not there, but I don't really worry.

On the other hand if it is someone walking into the campground he or she might not know, but after seeing them I suspect they would find out.

As for selling, I think it must be easy to list something on Amazon as a used device so I don't think that would be much of an issue either.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

AJMike, I have never considered other RV'ers to be a problem but the drive thru thief's who are not RV'ers are. Most RV parks are not gated and anyone can drive thru at 2:30 a.m.. Are there RV'ers who would take someone else's property. Most certainly but so far I have not encountered any.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

I had heard of the problem with people stealing power monitors and decided to install a permanent one in the electrical bay of my FW Storm. The Winnie Journey I just bought came with a portable power monitor that the previous owner had added a lock to, that made it difficult to unplug from the main coach power cord. What he did not do was provide me with the key to unlock it, so 30 seconds with a bolt cutter and it was unlocked. I am not sure if I will put another lock on it or not, if the MH was here I would take a picture of it to show you all.

What has me more concerned is that when I move it around, I can hear things sliding around inside the case, lots of things, or at least more than one thing. I tried to open it up to see what these loose things were but it did not yield itself to opening, so things are still moving around. I really don't think it is good that there are loose things in there. Mine is a Surge Guard Mdl 34750, it is quite large.