Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Stuff Happens

Took the first trip of the year last week. Went down to St. Petersburg FL. area to take my Mother in law to see her sister - Mom is 90 and suffers from Alzheimer's - so it was a worthwhile effort.

I always expect some problem the first time out but this time we went overboard. Our engine battery was weak and wouldn't hold a charge - new battery; our steps wouldn't retract all the way in had them inspected and the gears on the motor were stripped - new motor and gears; toilet leaked when you flushed it - bad nozzle assembly - ordered new one and problem fixed; driving torrential rains caused leak in the cupboard over the bedroom slide out - haven't figured that one out but may be a clogged drain.

Maybe our next venture will be less fraught with problems.

Stay safe out there,
Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just goes to prove the most important tool to take along is a sense of humor,of coarse a credit card doesn't hurt.

Check out the article in WIT Club News re: Plugged Drains

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Just got back from Florda and FMCA Rally in Perry. First trip out for us snowbound Northerners.

Here's my list:

1) Check Engine/Stop Engine light came on 5X 1st day out in NY. Had the codes checked by FL in Perry. Turbo sensor problem. Made it home. Will have the CAT guys check it out soon.

2) Slide lock did not work.

3) Auto Gen start did not work properly. Again, had the Onan guys at Perry check it out; found a broken wire in the EC30 setup (which I installed).

4) Had a toilet backup twice. Don't use 2-ply toilet tissue.

5) My new Winegard Travler did not stow properly last weekend. It was Saturday and I called support. They called me back, and they told me how to stow the unit manually. Communications issue; Winegard is sending me a new unit.

Always a challenge taking a big trip after storing the coach all winter. You find out all the 'stuff' on your first major trip of the year. Better to do a weekend trip before the major road trip of the year, but the calendar doesn't allow that for us northerners who like to go south in the cold months.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Some days you're the windshield, somedays you're the bug...
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Some days you're the windshield, somedays you're the bug...
Ain't that the truth!
n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

LOL Like the time I did everything to make sure the coach was ready a week before. Started it and filled up propane and gas etc...
Time to go the battery that was fine the week before wouldn't start the coach... Had to hunt down the receipts and go get a replacement.
That same day two hours later, passenger had used the bathroom on the road and, of course, left the water pump on. I got stalled in traffic and see fluid pouring out the side below the storage bays. I got over through traffic and with all my worries about "maybe it's gas" it turned out to be the outside shower I forgot to turn off after winterizing. LOL
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
LOL Like the time I did everything to make sure the coach was ready a week before. Started it and filled up propane and gas etc...
Time to go the battery that was fine the week before wouldn't start the coach... Had to hunt down the receipts and go get a replacement.
That same day two hours later, passenger had used the bathroom on the road and, of course, left the water pump on. I got stalled in traffic and see fluid pouring out the side below the storage bays. I got over through traffic and with all my worries about "maybe it's gas" it turned out to be the outside shower I forgot to turn off after winterizing. LOL
I know it's not right to laugh and others misfortune but the outside shower left on was so typical of something I'd do. And the whole time I'd be imagining something catastrophic was happening to the RV. One time we were out camping and for no apparent reason nothing electrical was working. I ran down every possible clue...breakers in RV , plug-in, breakers at post, etc. Turns out someone (could have even been me) had toggled the 'disconnect' switch. One flip and all was right with the world.
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote